BREXIT positives and negatives

1,347 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, keith2011 said:

 

It is a comprehensive and well written whinge but none the less a whinge on a blog platform, subjective and lacking data to back up the assumptions but it pretty much sums up the situation in the UK, sad.:(

 

I'd say it was a sober summary. The problems mentioned are not difficult to fact check - after all it's a blog by a private individual, not a governmental department press release.

 

Anyway, here's another sector in apparently terminal decline. It's the "double whammy" of Covid & Brexit. 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/apr/16/40000-jobs-at-risk-as-foreign-pupils-shun-uk-language-schools-brexit-covid

 

Ireland sounds like it will benefit.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, john_b said:

I'd say it was a sober summary. The problems mentioned are not difficult to fact check - after all it's a blog by a private individual, not a governmental department press release.

The problems are self evident it is the data on the extent of the problems that is missing. Despite everything the GBP has continued to recover and the UK has provided prompt financial, military and moral support to the Ukraine something that has been sadly lacking from the French and Germans!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I agree that the UK response to Ukraine has been in a different league, I don't share your rosy outlook on the UK's recovery.  As you neglect to add any data to back up your assertions, here is some to chew on.

https://www.britishchambers.org.uk/news/2022/03/bcc-forecast-uk-economic-growth-to-halve-this-year-as-domestic-global-headwinds-soar

 

I don't know if you have any family in the UK, but the overall rise in the cost of living is hitting many families. Inflation is at a 30 year high.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, john_b said:

I don't share your rosy outlook on the UK's recovery.

 

What rosy outlook? All I did was point out that the GBP had recovered some of its losses since the brexit vote!

 

9 hours ago, john_b said:

I don't know if you have any family in the UK, but the overall rise in the cost of living is hitting many families. Inflation is at a 30 year high.

 

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

This year will see employers offering record pay rises but it will still be less than the cost of living increase.

 

 

And how is that so different from the rest of Europe????

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, keith2011 said:

The problems are self evident it is the data on the extent of the problems that is missing. Despite everything the GBP has continued to recover and the UK has provided prompt financial, military and moral support to the Ukraine something that has been sadly lacking from the French and Germans!

 

That's because the UK is razing interest rate, while the EU is not, nothing more nothing less.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

 

 

And how is that so different from the rest of Europe???

 

Sure, but the effect of Brexit, means the overall economy is worse off, than most /all parts of the EU meaning that living standards fall even more in the UK

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Germany is not a poor country but a lot of the inhabitants here are. I travel to work by underground  and every day I see people dressed in normal clothes ,looking for empty bottles in the litter bins. The food bank organisation , The Tafel is not run by the goverment, it is run by volunteers who do a tremendous good job. Unfortunately, the number of people dependent on them is increasing all the time.

 

"Jochen Brühl fordert die Bundesregierung auf, konkrete und schnelle Hilfe für armutsbetroffene Menschen zu leisten, um die Nachfrage bei den Tafeln langfristig zu senken. „Ehrenamtsorganisationen können nicht das auffangen, was seit Jahren schief läuft in unserem Land. Der Staat darf sich nicht auf der Arbeit unserer 60.000 Helferinnen und Helfer ausruhen“. Die Idee der Tafeln ist es, Menschen zu helfen, die kurzfristig in Not geraten sind. Viele Menschen sind allerdings inzwischen auf sie angewiesen, weil sich Armut in Deutschland so stark verfestigt hat."

 

https://www.tafel.de/presse/pressemitteilungen/pressemitteilungen-2022/krieg-in-der-ukraine-und-inflation-werden-fuer-die-tafeln-zur-belastungsprobe

 

"Die Armut in Deutschland wächst. Betroffen sind vor allem kranke und alte Menschen, Niedriglöhner und Arbeitslose, kinderreiche Familien und Alleinerziehende. Besonders kritisch sehen Sozialverbände die Armutsquote bei Kindern, die mit 19,7 Prozent deutlich über dem Durchschnitt der Bevölkerung liegt."

 

www.planet-wissen.de/gesellschaft/wirtschaft/armut_in_deutschland

https://www.planet-wissen.de/gesellschaft/wirtschaft/armut_in_deutschland/index.html

 

On another note, I think the German earnings related sate pension scheme is crazy. People who work in low-pay sector jobs or are unemployed, cannot possibly recieve a state pension to live on. Over the years, each goverment has reduced the amount of money people will receive for their state pension and said everyone should pay into a private pension scheme to make ends meet when they retire. How on earth are they supposed to do this if they rely on organisations like the Tafel during their working life?

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Sure, but the effect of Brexit, means the overall economy is worse off, than most /all parts of the EU meaning that living standards fall even more in the UK

 

I would suggest to you that the situation was already bad with the UK  worse off than most parts of the EU  long before the brexit vote and indeed that may well have been a contributing factor in the vote for brexit!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

 

I would suggest to you that the situation was already bad with the UK  worse off than most parts of the EU  long before the brexit vote and indeed that may well have been a contributing factor in the vote for brexit!

 

But that ridiculous, you cannot vote to become rich or better off. You or the country has to produce products that people want to buy, if you cannot produce products people will want to buy, then they look else where. After WW2, the UK was the fourth largest car producer in the world, look at it now.  On my trips to the UK, I normally go out for a beer with people I know, they all ( mostly ) have cars made outside the UK, but do not see any connection why the UK now has a small car production mostly owned by foreigners  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yesterday said:

But that ridiculous, you cannot vote to become rich or better off.

 

Maybe but are you forgetting what they were promised, that brexit bus for example. I suspect also there was a feeling that it was worth trying anything in the hope that there might be some improvement in the steady decline in the UK since WW2 and forgetting the major improvements during the Blair/Brown years in the EU. They should have chucked out Cameron and his gang long before brexit ever got to be a referendum imo!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/04/2022, 12:23:03, yesterday said:

But that ridiculous, you cannot vote to become rich or better off.

Sadly, that is clearly not what many voters thought. The Brexit story was: the UK is sending billions each week to the EU. If the UK leaves the EU those billions will be available to be spent in the UK on UK citizens instead (i.e. "you will be better off"). Of course that concept was flawed and a demonstrable lie, but nothing the UK hasn't become used to now the Johnson is PM. The media continue to give him a soft ride, not least of all because he's newsworthy, and no-one in his own party is prepared to challenge him. 

This pretty much sums up his position: Boris Johnson shits on floor, buggers cat, commits murder (newsthump.com)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A situation that I think @murphaph mused about has recently come to pass for me - business visits in the EU/EEA by UK passport holders.

 

I was asked to go to a particular EU country for a few weeks, to work on a new cloud environment build. The third party who advise my employer on Visas and migration law said the description of work being carried out was not covered by the standard Visa-free access and I would require a permit to enter.  So of course, one of the managers involved in my proposed EU visit contacts this third party consultancy to say a permit is unacceptable because there is a business requirement for this to happen in a weeks time, and says I filled out the form incorrectly as I am "merely attending a couple of business meetings over this period". The response back is then "business meetings are visa-free and no border entry issues".

 

Of course, there were no business meetings and I worked solidly for the entirety of my time there. I was (and still am) really annoyed at being put in a position where I was effectively breaking immigration law and was working in the country illegally.  The standard covering letter I had in case the passport stamper wanted more detail about my reason for being there was laughable - basically said "You must permit entry because this person works for us, this oh-so-important company HQ'd in the USA and listed on the US stock market, and our customers include your government and biggest organisations".

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so the UK voted for Brexit.

 

But if people on here could vote what would they chose.

 

[ ]  Brexit

[ ]  Give the keys of your economy to Putin

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

But if people on here could vote what would they chose.

 

Not quite sure that it is a simple binary choice like that, especially in light of Russian influences during the referendum campaign.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mackle said:

Of course, there were no business meetings and I worked solidly for the entirety of my time there. I was (and still am) really annoyed at being put in a position where I was effectively breaking immigration law and was working in the country illegally.  The standard covering letter I had in case the passport stamper wanted more detail about my reason for being there was laughable - basically said "You must permit entry because this person works for us, this oh-so-important company HQ'd in the USA and listed on the US stock market, and our customers include your government and biggest organisations".

 

That's a tough call.

Personally, I'd be looking for a new job in the not too distant future if thats the case.

If it happened once, it'll happen again :angry:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New job is a bit drastic. I had 45 business trips in Africa where I worked onsite in our  subsidiaries, but for some countries the invitation letter said I‘m attending business meetings or having a conference. The letter came from the subsidiary itself. The trip always lasted 1 or 2 weeks max. Otherwise you face too much red tape and you get nothing done. Didn‘t bother me. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now