BREXIT positives and negatives

1,347 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2022, 12:06:53, scook17 said:

Brussels could have created and offered an EU passport, much like the EU blue card, meaning nothing changed for those who lived here.

But only with the consent of most of the 27 country's, It just shows how limited the EU powers are, everybody thinks the EU is all powerful, when in realty its not.

and it would have looked weak, if the EU issued cards so the brits can tor Europe and work in the EU without any problems while EU citizens could not tor and work in the UK, that's kinda what Brexit became all about

Agreed, the UK population did not have  a clue what they were voting for, so just believed the Brexit lies, that Britain would always be better off than anybody else

43 minutes ago, French bean said:

the man who probably thinks that workhouses were good for the poor.

Indeed, given his well known 19th point of view and the short terms that all other brexit ministers have served, I can't help wondering if he has been set up to fail. Hope so!

Migration data exposes Johnson's claim that Brexit would create a high wage economy as false

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/migration-data-shows-johnsons-brexit-will-drive-high-wage-economy-a-false-claim-000147191.html

The analysis from the Resolution Foundation says the restricting freedom of movement will drive change in the labour market but will not have a big impact on the UK’s economy in terms of wages.

[Note: not a spoof or satirical post]

The government has announced a review into the economic benefits of a reintroduction of imperial measures such as ounces, pounds and stones.

Conservative business minister Paul Scully said reintroducing imperial measurements would be “an important step in taking back control” and that an “assessment of the economic impact on business will be carried out in due course”.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19947344.review-economic-benefits-return-imperial-measures-mocked/

2 hours ago, john_b said:

[Note: not a spoof or satirical post]

The government has announced a review into the economic benefits of a reintroduction of imperial measures such as ounces, pounds and stones.

Conservative business minister Paul Scully said reintroducing imperial measurements would be “an important step in taking back control” and that an “assessment of the economic impact on business will be carried out in due course”.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19947344.review-economic-benefits-return-imperial-measures-mocked/

Well, that lot lost the use of their noggins a long time ago ...

1 hour ago, Feierabend said:

Well, that lot lost the use of their noggins a long time ago ...

2nd that. Absolutely crazy the schools have not taught Imperial measures for nearly 50 years and anyway the Victorians had a good fiddle with it to bring it closer in line to the metric system which is why there were 112 pounds in a 100 weight. Only the yanks stayed close to the original imperial measure system so the British version is not even compatible with the USA one.:wacko:

Boris Johnson

Theresa May

Jacob Ress-Mogg

Nigel Farage

Ian Duncan Smith

Mark Francois

Nadine Dorris

David Cameron

Jeremy Corbyn

David Davis

Liam Fox

Oliver Dowden

Priti Patel

Richi Sunak

David Frost

Steve Baker

Steve Barclay

Andrew Bridgen

I don't know about the positives or negatives about Brexit...but a country that can serve up this lot in one sitting has got a problem me thinks!

1 hour ago, Yellowsnow said:

a country that can serve up this lot in one sitting has got a problem me thinks!

100% agree, and what is worse in my mind, somehow the opposition can't seem to make political capital out of their awfulness.

English dominated Westminster politics is an utter disaster and has been for many many years.

4 hours ago, Yellowsnow said:

Boris Johnson

Theresa May

Jacob Ress-Mogg

Nigel Farage

Ian Duncan Smith

Mark Francois

Nadine Dorris

David Cameron

Jeremy Corbyn

David Davis

Liam Fox

Oliver Dowden

Priti Patel

Richi Sunak

David Frost

Steve Baker

Steve Barclay

Andrew Bridgen

I don't know about the positives or negatives about Brexit...but a country that can serve up this lot in one sitting has got a problem me thinks!

You forgot George Gideon Osbourne.

Britons living in EU can’t keep pre-Brexit rights, European court advised

Blow to UK nationals as advocate general finds against Alice Bouilliez, who objected to losing voting right

The European court of justice has been advised that British nationals living on the continent do not keep the advantages of EU citizenship now the UK has left the bloc, in a blow to campaigners fighting to keep more of their rights after Brexit.

Anthony Collins, an Irish advocate general at the court, said in an opinion published on Thursday that British nationals “who enjoyed the benefits of union citizenship do not retain those advantages following the UK’s withdrawal from the EU”.

The Luxembourg-based court is expected to issue a formal ruling on the case in June, which was brought on behalf of a retired civil servant, Alice Bouilliez, who has lived in south-west France for 37 years.

It usually follows its advocates’ advice

Full story

My heart goes out to the good UK folk....imagine being a Brit right now with Boris Johnson and Liz Truss representing you on the International front !!!!

9 minutes ago, Yellowsnow said:

My heart goes out to the good UK folk...imagine being a Brit right now with Boris Johnson and Liz Truss representing you on the International front !!!!

Too true! Mind you , I wouldn't  want Macron representing me, either... or that Russian geezer... forget his name😡

Very few dignified politicians around right now. 

Anyway, same old story... people killing other people to satisfy the ego of powerful people. Plus ca change..😒

On 04/01/2022, 14:30:29, keith2011 said:

I don't believe any of the Dyson vacuum cleaners (great device until you try to empty the dirt out) come even close to 900 Watts

Very old post bump I know (catching up as have not been reading TT the last two months) but have the V11 and it's much, much improved in this over the V8 I had in Germany.

It might not be 900W, but seems a lot louder than the old 2.5/3Kw Hoovers of my childhood!