BREXIT positives and negatives

803 posts in this topic

@Metall Northern Ireland is a net food exporter. It has plenty of arable land.

I have no problem with science helping us to improve crops and whatnot. As long as it's all well tested and known safe before being released into the wild. The EU's food safety standards have served us all very well so far. We are far less likely to suffer a food-borne illness than those living in the US, for example.

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Well I would say this is a very worrying negative but maybe some think otherwise?:unsure:

Quote:

The UK government is to relax the regulation of gene-edited crops to enable commercial growing in England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58711230

Yea, I have to say, I think otherwise. This for me is the first Brexit positive I have seen. Sure, one has to be very careful, but GE (we are not talking GM) crops are well worth looking into. Climate change and an ever increasing population means we need to be exploring and exploiting any tools we have available to better nourish ourselves and protect the planet. We need to be open to anything that can produce crops that require less chemical pesticide, are more nutritious, less subject to damage etc etc. And we need to be doing it yesterday. In this regard, the EU can definitely be too cautious and slow moving at times.

2 hours ago, cb6dba said:

We've been genetically modifying crops for 1000s of years via selective breeding. Check out what ancient water melons were like to see jut how good we have been at it. 

This is however a little bit different, directly changing the genes of a plant etc, circumventing 1000s years of work, it's a great idea right. has the potential to result in drought resistant crops, crops that are more resistant to pests and maybe could even save crops that we eat a lot of that are just clones, they do exist, we all know what a banana is.

True enough but to paraphrase something in the BBC report, drought and pest resistance has been promised since GM/GE started but never delivered.

2 hours ago, theGman said:

Yea, I have to say, I think otherwise. This for me is the first Brexit positive I have seen. Sure, one has to be very careful, but GE (we are not talking GM) crops are well worth looking into. Climate change and an ever increasing population means we need to be exploring and exploiting any tools we have available to better nourish ourselves and protect the planet. We need to be open to anything that can produce crops that require less chemical pesticide, are more nutritious, less subject to damage etc etc. And we need to be doing it yesterday. In this regard, the EU can definitely be too cautious and slow moving at times.

Yeah the thing is so far all these firms have focused on is breeding strains of crops that are resistant to brand x pesticide so they can spray the shit out of the crop without it suffering any ill effects. All that pesticide then ends up in the groundwater and water courses. GM has meant much more use of pesticides.

46 minutes ago, Elljay said:

Positive or negative, I have no idea. Mostly just confusing. No more GB sticker on car plates, it's being changed to UK. But why?https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58734265

If I had to guess I'd say it is because the Britain part may have strong connections to England, which is not going to go down well to anyone wanting to split Scotland off etc.

UK is a more inclusive label.

Maybe UK is the international term and they want to change it.

13 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

If I had to guess I'd say it is because the Britain part may have strong connections to England, which is not going to go down well to anyone wanting to split Scotland off etc.

UK is a more inclusive label.

GB does not include Northern Ireland, UK does - this could be the reason

For anyone interested:

Great Britain – England, Scotland and Wales

United Kingdom – England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

British Isles – English, Scotland, Wales and all of Ireland

"Boris Johnson's Brexit choices are making Britain's fuel and food shortages worse"

London (CNN Business) Rising energy bills, higher prices and a critical shortage of workers leading to food and fuel supply constraints are threatening to stall Britain's recovery from the pandemic.

The crises afflicting the UK economy have sparked talk in newspapers and among politicians of a looming "winter of discontent," a reference to the wave of strike action in 1978-79 that brought the British economy to its knees. There's even talk of stagflation, the nightmare combination of stagnant growth and high inflation.

Although shortages, supply chain delays and rising food and energy costs are affecting several major economies, including the United States, China and Germany, Britain is suffering more than most because of Brexit.

If you click the link there is a video of fuel station altercation with a knife wielding crazy guy trying to get fuel.

Brexit, totally taking back control... https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/28/business/brexit-fuel-food-shortages/index.html

8 minutes ago, Tap said:

This, for some reason, is somewhat contentious.  Also contentious is referring to the Ireland, north and south as "Ireland".  

18 minutes ago, Tap said:

GB does not include Northern Ireland, UK does - this could be the reason

Great Britain – England, Scotland and Wales

United Kingdom – England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Warning:

Was produced before Brexit and mentions "part of the EU"

32 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

All British-registered aircraft currently have the registration of the form "G-ABCD"

Now to all be changed to have the prefix "U-"?  (which seems not to be currently allocated).

Interestingly the registration prefix for Uzbekistan is "UK-".

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Yeah the thing is so far all these firms have focused on is breeding strains of crops that are resistant to brand x pesticide so they can spray the shit out of the crop without it suffering any ill effects. All that pesticide then ends up in the groundwater and water courses. GM has meant much more use of pesticides.

plus the genes that make the crop resisitant to pesticide are quick to hybridize out into wild plants and before you know it you have pesticide resistant super weeds. 

40 minutes ago, Tap said:

a lot of Irish people might disagree with that

4 minutes ago, hamogles said:

a lot of Irish people might disagree with that

They might disagree with it, I know I used to, but it's a fact.   

47 minutes ago, john g. said:

I always thought the term British Isles was purely geographical but it seems hamogles has a point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute

This seems like the sort of thing that's only a problem is you want to make it one. Which some people do. 

Isn't part of the problem that British Isles is the name in English? Irish, I would guess, has a different name. If France had somehow ended up speaking English they'd probably be upset at it being called The English Channel. 

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

Warning:

Was produced before Brexit and mentions "part of the EU"

He does a nice, ironic overview there! Pretty well explained!👍

5 minutes ago, Dembo said:

This seems like the sort of thing that's only a problem is you want to make it one. Which some people do. 

Isn't part of the problem that British Isles is the name in English? Irish, I would guess, has a different name. If France had somehow ended up speaking English they'd probably be upset at it being called The English Channel. 

There have even been disputes about the names Republic of Ireland rather than the Irish Republic and then there's Eire. Or the United Kingdom etc etc.

I googled this and found it interesting!

What's in a name?

Well, for some... plenty!

( Applies equally to Falkland Islands v Malvinas. as an example. I personally use the former if speaking in English and the latter if speaking Spanish.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Irish_state