BREXIT positives and negatives

1,347 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

Totaler Stromausfall: Realistisches Szenario oder Panikmache: (Auf Deutsch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugHZyLOIqtE

Interesting video. Unfortunately, we have someone showing a complete lack of vision. He is concerned with 'continuous power', i.e. someone living in the past and complaining rather than coming up with solutions for the issue.

Power grid has for years relied on the principle of being able to turn on additional power when it liked. We'll that's going away and we need to plan how to replace it.

All to often we see 'central' solutions to these big problems, like 'it would take 20 years to build the energy storage we need'. Really?

Germany plans to put solar on every new house/apartment or commercial building. Add storage to that and you have matching solar roll out and storage, which could be sized to cover at least the overnight period quite cheaply.

From a user's perspective storage is too expensive and not subsidized to install into existing solar systems, so hardly anyone does it. Again a huge untapped pool.

Hydro electric dams can simply let water pass, or turn themselves off and let water accumulate and/or even pump it up for later consumption.

Germany's total storage capacity, 30 to 60 minutes, apparently. Well, that was well thought out.

Why doesn't this happen? Lack of management, preparedness, and incentives.

We know the approximate weather pattern quite accurately for the next few days, so it should come as no surprise the wind stops blowing or the sun stop shining.

Take consumers. There is zero incentive for me to plug in an electric car at time z or time y. So the consumer behaves as expected and does what's easy.

In the UK you have rates one third the cost of peak rates. Yet does Germany have any significant rate difference? No.

There is a 20% cheaper rate for heating, ah but you need a special meter which costs 100+ Euros a year, so incentive is zero.

Regarding storage, you can either build it in, or have spare capacity waiting to be activated, such as gas power stations which can double their capacity.

Sure it's not economic, but redundancy is not cheap. People buy a back up generator for the few days they anticipate needing power. It's not free, but the cost of not having a backup is huge.

7 hours ago, murphaph said:

No, but they must be marked 568ml, as they had to be in the UK previously too. But you know this (I hope).

No really I did not, last time I visited customs were still confiscating condoms, I  just hoped that it was still possible to get a wonderful pint of Guinness in Dublin where I guess they still read 1984.

"we’re cutting back on EU red tape and bureaucracy and restoring common sense to our rulebook.”

What is so dumb is that the British bureaucracy just love rules and regulations no matter how stupid they may be.  While most countries merely give lip service or entirely ignore EU rules they don't like the  UK enforced them vigorously  even when they were only recommendations.

Yeah but you should have known that Ireland and the UK followed the same EU rules until the UK quit the union and those rules require(d) the glass to carry the metric quantity as a minimum. Nothing ever prohibited the UK printing pints or crowns or unicorns on their glasses in addition to the metric quantity if their hearts so desired however!

Don't worry though, your confiscated johnnies probably wouldn't have seen any use (good Catholic girls, don't you know).

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Don't worry though, your confiscated johnnies probably wouldn't have seen any use (good Catholic girls, don't you know).

I was visiting for the wedding of a colleague who asked me to bring him (the couple were both good Catholics) a carton (144) but they checked my case at customs, I told the officer they were for my own use and he asked me how long I was staying, just for the weekend I responded and that was the last I saw of them.:D

14 hours ago, john g. said:

if a Royal coin was spotted at the bottom of the glass, they were whisked away into the Navy by Govt agents of the Crown.

Close, but from the story handed down through my family, along with my ancient, glass-bottomed pewter beer mug, the issue wasn't spotting the coin in the beer, but failing to spot the coin in the beer. That was the purpose of the glass: to check there wasn't a coin in when you drunk, otherwise you had accepted payment to join the navy.

11 hours ago, keith2011 said:

What is so dumb is that the British bureaucracy just love rules and regulations no matter how stupid they may be.

Dumber still is the fact that the UK voted in favour of the regulations about which they are retrospectively damning. There are very few examples of "EU red-tape" for which the UK didn't vote. 

12 minutes ago, dstanners said:

but failing to spot the coin in the beer. That was the purpose of the glass: to check there wasn't a coin in when you drunk, otherwise you had accepted payment to join the navy.

I thought so too (as in "accepted the King's shilling"),

but it seems those nit picking Wiki folks are not so sure : 

Royal Navy[edit]

Press gangs had the power to compel British seamen into the Royal Navy. A man forced unwillingly into the Navy in this way was given the King's shilling, but was often offered a chance to volunteer: a volunteer would be eligible for an advance of two months' wages and would be treated more favourably than their pressed counterparts.[4][13] Clothes and equipment, such as a hammock, had to be bought from the ship's purser out of the advance. Volunteers were also protected from creditors, up to the value of £20.[14]

There are recurring tales of sailors being pressed after a shilling was slipped into their drink,[5] leading to glass-bottomed tankards. However, this is likely to be a myth, for the Navy could press by force, rendering deception unnecessary.[4

Another myth busted

35 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I was visiting for the wedding of a colleague who asked me to bring him (the couple were both good Catholics) a carton (144) but they checked my case at customs, I told the officer they were for my own use and he asked me how long I was staying, just for the weekend I responded and that was the last I saw of them.:D

And now we've come full circle, from confiscating British sausage covers to confiscating British sausages!

1 hour ago, dstanners said:

Dumber still is the fact that the UK voted in favour of the regulations about which they are retrospectively damning. There are very few examples of "EU red-tape" for which the UK didn't vote. 

I agree but it was in the interests of the likes of Farage and co. to pass EU legislation that they could later ridicule and as I already said:-

British bureaucracy just love rules and regulations no matter how stupid they may be.

"How Brexit is stopping British bands"

The corona pandemic already cost tens of thousands of jobs in the British music industry. Brexit exacerbated the situation. A European tour is now expensive, complicated or even impossible for many musicians.

"Project Blackbird" was on tour in Europe this year. Paperwork? Jon Read, the band's trumpeter, laughs. "A lot of paperwork, a lot, including for customs clearance," he says.

The musician speaks calmly, but he is seething. Brexit made everything complicated. Among other things, all the equipment for customs must be listed. "We had to identify every single instrument - with weight, country of origin, value," says Read. "The document is valid for one year, but we cannot change it. That means that the next time we go to the continent, we have to take exactly the same equipment with us. If we want to take other things with us, we need a new customs document. "

Tens of thousands of job losses in the industry The music industry has been particularly hard hit. According to UK Music, an umbrella organization of the billion dollar British music industry, almost 70,000 jobs were lost in the industry as a result of the corona pandemic in 2020. Brexit came on top of that.

(Google translated)

More (in German) https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/weltwirtschaft/brexit-folgen-musikindustrie-101.html

That is how it used to be when taking stuff to Switzerland from Germany, not sure how it is now but welcome to hard borders.

To be honest though I would have thought planning a European Tour during a pandemic should be impossible!

3 hours ago, optimista said:

You ve lost me. Is this a code for condoms ?

Not a very secret one in fairness!

3 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Tens of thousands of job losses in the industry

When people think of musicians and the industry losing jobs they most time think of the artists themselves but what they forget is there are many everyday type of jobs tied into the industry.

20 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

"How Brexit is stopping British bands"

More (in German) https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/weltwirtschaft/brexit-folgen-musikindustrie-101.html

And it becomes shittier when you know the EU offered a visa-free year allotment to everyone in the music industry (IIRC 90 days a year) and Boris Johnson rejected it because he thought entering as a tourist offered a bigger slot (180 days a year), it seems he didn't know you can't work on a tourist visa.

12 hours ago, Krieg said:

And it becomes shittier when you know the EU offered a visa-free year allotment to everyone in the music industry (IIRC 90 days a year) and Boris Johnson rejected it because he thought entering as a tourist offered a bigger slot (180 days a year), it seems he didn't know you can't work on a tourist visa.

It was said that the UK rejected the 90 day free offer from the EU because the EU were asking for the offer to be reciprocated which the UK refused and were willing to offer only 30 days free to EU citizens.

This has been denied by the UK govt who have blamed it on the EU but despite being asked many times the govt refuses to say what they offered/were offered.

The work permit bit is also just one aspect however. The customs carnet rules are a minefield for touring artists. Every bit of equipment, every plug and cable, has to be listed and the document cannot be modified once submitted. If you replace a broken mic with one of another type, new carnet required! And the cabotage rules mean actually driving through the EU is problematic. 

On 1/5/2022, 5:00:14, Keleth said:

When people think of musicians and the industry losing jobs they most time think of the artists themselves but what they forget is there are many everyday type of jobs tied into the industry.

And that's only one industry. Spare a thought for all the others that have frequent dealings with Europe. Labour, the Lib Dems and the other opposition parties need to make this a central political issue. 

44 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Labour, the Lib Dems and the other opposition parties need to make this a central political issue. 

They won´t though. They both have too many MPs who were keen on Brexit themselves.