BREXIT positives and negatives

1,347 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

They have never stopped serving beer by the pint and the currency has always been in Pounds.

I believe he was referring to weight but I'm sure you knew that.

21 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I believe he was referring to weight but I'm sure you knew that.

Nah...

Pounds and pence, I read.

Pounds, shillings and pence, if they go back to pre 1971.

(240 pennies to the pound, thank you very much;

But to go that far back would involve retraining the maths teachers)

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

Of course one of the great triumphs of Brexit is the return of pints and pounds so updating scales is not high on the UK's list of priorities it seems.

Perhaps you missed this part.

FF has it right. Pints and pounds (lbs). I'm not a complete fucking idiot...I know the UK used sterling all along. I have had the "pleasure" of trying to spend Northern Irish sterling in London.

4 minutes ago, murphaph said:

FF has it right. Pints and pounds (lbs). I'm not a complete fucking idiot...I know the UK used sterling all along. I have had the "pleasure" of trying to spend Northern Irish sterling in London.

Or Scottish Sterling. That's fun too... Oh and bring it back to Germany, try getting it converted back to euro. You get the money, but wow they look at it like it's monopoly cash or something. Contempt. Terrible.

14 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

You get the money, but wow they look at it like it's monopoly cash or something. Contempt. Terrible.

I had a similar experience a few years ago when exchanging Deutschmarks to Euros here.

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

They have never stopped serving beer by the pint

...ok, I'll bite. Did the EU ever even mandate that the crown had to be removed from pint glasses?

I just looked at the pint glasses in my cupboard (quite possibly liberated from UK pubs in the early 1990s, when the UK was definitely still in the EU) and they have crowns on them.

I would hazard a guess that it just became cheaper not to print the crown on them.

Oh, I can also pop to the market and buy a "Pfund" of mincemeat (admittedly, not quite a precise UK lb, but close enough).

31 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Union of un-equals. It always was and always will be.

Ironically, the Bank of England was founded by a Scotsman and the Bank of Scotland by an Englishman. Not sure what their motives were, though!

14 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Did the EU ever even mandate that the crown had to be removed from pint glasses?

Yes as of 2006 no more could be made but it wasn´t retroactive so took a few years for them to disappear completely.

Not a full-proof source of course, but Wikipedia begs to differ:

Conservatives campaigning to have dual markings of crown and CE were informed by EU Commissioner Günter Verheugen that "a Crown stamp look-alike could naturally be affixed to the glass, as long as it is done in such a way that it is not confused with the CE marking".[11] 

6 hours ago, murphaph said:

The UK will need to ration electricity at the rate things are going so more energy efficiency is even more important there than here!

I suspect at some stage electricity will have to be rationed here.

Witness the increase in requirement for electrical energy (cars for example) coupled with the replacement of nuclear & coal-powered generating stations by windmills / solar cells, neither of which produce much energy in a flat calm & dark Wintery days.  We will be in real trouble when our neighbours reduce their exports of electricity to DE.

16 minutes ago, HEM said:

I suspect at some stage electricity will have to be rationed here.

Witness the increase in requirement for electrical energy (cars for example) coupled with the replacement of nuclear & coal-powered generating stations by windmills / solar cells, neither of which produce much energy in a flat calm & dark Wintery days.  We will be in real trouble when our neighbours reduce their exports of electricity to DE.

Germany exports more electricity than it imports, so there is a fair bit of wriggle room:

"Deutschland war im Jahr 2020 erneut Netto-Stromexporteur** mit insgesamt 18,6 TWh. Dabei machte der Export 52,3 TWh (2019: 59,4 TWh) und der Import 33,7 TWh (2019: 24,2 TWh) aus."

googletrans:

"In 2020, Germany was again a net electricity exporter ** with a total of 18.6 TWh. Exports made up 52.3 TWh (2019: 59.4 TWh) and imports 33.7 TWh (2019: 24.2 TWh)."

https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/DE/Sachgebiete/ElektrizitaetundGas/Unternehmen_Institutionen/HandelundVertrieb/SMARD/Aktuelles/start.html#:~:text=Deutschland%20war%20im%20Jahr%202020,24%2C2%20TWh%20)%20aus.

And if Germany needs to import (I think 2020 may have been an exceptional year due to Covid) it will be able to do so, buying "dirty" electricity from our neighbours while tut-tutting at them for not closing all their nuclear plants without a viable green alternative (yet). I liked Merkel but one thing she got wrong was that call on Nuclear. It was the right call, just many decades too early. The point is, the EU single market in electricity continues to exist for Germany. For the UK things are far more complicated since leaving the EU.

2 hours ago, dstanners said:

Not a full-proof source of course, but Wikipedia begs to differ:

Conservatives campaigning to have dual markings of crown and CE were informed by EU Commissioner Günter Verheugen that "a Crown stamp look-alike could naturally be affixed to the glass, as long as it is done in such a way that it is not confused with the CE marking".[11] 

I clicked onto (11) and found the wonderfully named Metrology Act!

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1996/act/27/enacted/en/pdf

The definition of a container in there is also wonderful!👍

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

Yer but the crown.

Seriously though this is how utterly stupid this whole Brexit kerfuffle is that the PM of the UK lists Crown returning to pint glasses as a success of Brexit.

Johnson lists returning crowns to pint glasses as a key Brexit success | Brexit | The Guardian

This bit in that article sounds a bit worrying though...

Although this bit did make me laugh...

"we’re cutting back on EU red tape and bureaucracy and restoring common sense to our rulebook.”

Seriously.

That Johnson sees returning crowns to pint glasses as a "key Brexit success" , or indeed celebrations about re-introducing imperial measures, shows how deranged these people are.  Is there anywhere else in the world where people celebrate re-focussing their economies back to past centuries? 

BTW beware of politican use of the term "common sense". In practice it means, whatever I think.  

Ah, dstanners... when I see that, I remember Edward Thompson ( the Making of the English Working Class ) and , as far as I remember , the references to blokes having a pint and, if a Royal coin was spotted at the bottom of the glass, they were whisked away into the Navy by Govt agents of the Crown. A bit like spiking a drink in modern parlance...

I think that was where I read it... long time ago..

shiver my timbers..