BREXIT positives and negatives

1,256 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, murphaph said:

If you feel inclined you can claim the Einfuhrumsatzsteuer back and (allegedly) the €6 from DHL too. I have had the tax refunded by the Zoll in a similar case.

Thanks Murph,  I assume the Einfuhrumsatzsteuer is the full €15. and I'm able to claim because its a gift   I may just do that, if the bureaucratic exercise is 'relatively' straight forward.  

23 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Just received a calendar from the UK. It cost the sender £7.80 in postage and me a further €15 on top for the Zoll.  The calendar itself is probably not worth a tenner. Ah well, that must have been what was meant by taking back control. 

As it was declared a gift, what value was entered on the form?   

I'm assuming the contents of the parcel had a value less than €45. Unlike with sales of goods, this value does not include the shipping cost. If the actual value of the contents are below €45 no taxes or charges should be levied.

The first step is to request the "Bescheid" from DHL. They have a portal for this, where you enter the Sendungsnummer (the internal German one, not the GB one!)

Once you have that you then have a ZP number that you use as a reference for the Zoll (probably Hauptzollamt Gießen if it came through Frankfurt) when reclaiming from them.

They will not refund the €6 DHL Auslegepauschale. I have yet to try recovering that from DHL but I will the next time!

The gift was valued at £10 on the form, and I've tracked a 12 digit figure on the DHL sticker, so I'll take it from there!  

Thanks for your help Murph!  And the Best of luck to all the thousands of Brits and others having to find out for themselves. Pity we can't send the bill direct to Boris! 

23 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Just received a calendar from the UK. It cost the sender £7.80 in postage and me a further €15 on top for the Zoll.  

Exact same scenario here in France. Country File calendar value of a tenner. Plus a tenner in postage. Tracked. Amazingly however, no customs duty !! I suspect it is just too balls aching / costly for our froggy friends to implement collection.

All those naughty UK van drivers, with their wheel on the wrong side will now have to

pay for a text / license and perhaps even a transport manager to take care of them...

Van drivers in UK will need new operating licences to enter EU from May

Latest Brexit red tape will come into force alongside a series of further checks at Dover and other ports

The licence will cost van drivers up to £1,100, a significant burden for solo operators, industry leaders said.

Drivers will have to fork out £257 in an application fee and a further £401 for the licence. Another £401 “continuation fee” will be payable every five years to retain the licence, according to gov.uk.

Drivers will also need to assign a staff member or themselves as “transport manager” – a named individual to ensure the driver follows industry regulations and tax payments in the EU after Brexit.

The person will either have to demonstrate they have managed fleets of vehicles for at least 10 years or will have to complete a course to qualify for a transport manager qualification.

The rest

Looks like it'll cut both ways as there will be restrictions on UK imports from the EU too

Winning used to be spelled differently

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

It reads like it's the EU imposing these charges but it's the UK government. This will seriously impact small businesses along the Irish border especially. No regard shown (again) for the GFA.

How so, since there is no hard border how would anyone know if goods were transported from north to  south and vice versa in a van? Surely it could just as easily be with a horse and cart or mule train!

Implementing the rules is going to demand manpower they don t have.

10 hours ago, keith2011 said:

How so, since there is no hard border how would anyone know if goods were transported from north to  south and vice versa in a van? Surely it could just as easily be with a horse and cart or mule train!

So the small businesses like plumbers in Derry that might bring a gas boiler to Donegal to fit are now expected to break the law? Sure why not fill up on green diesel in Donegal while they're at it.

This is embarrassingly cringeworthy. If you have to state that Brexit is not an act of self harm then it probably is. It's like the boarding voting confidence in the manager of a football club stuff!

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

So the small businesses like plumbers in Derry that might bring a gas boiler to Donegal to fit are now expected to break the law? Sure why not fill up on green diesel in Donegal while they're at it.

I believe as an Englishman the law still requires me to practise archery with a longbow every Sunday! Nuff said?

15 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I believe as an Englishman the law still requires me to practise archery with a longbow every Sunday! Nuff said?

The new (and barmy) requirement is much closer to one of say car tax or having an MOT. I trust you tax your car and have a TÜV, right? There's no ANPR here, so who's gonna know you have no TÜV? I know a guy who drove for a year without one after it slipped his mind. I drove my trailer around for a few months as I thought a new trailer had the same grace period as a new car before its first TÜV but it doesn't. Nobody caught me, so should I just not bother doing things where it's an offence, but the chances of being caught appear low?

52 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Nobody caught me, so should I just not bother doing things where it's an offence, but the chances of being caught appear low?

You could have been stopped at a police control at any time or even given a ticket by a traffic warden, so I would say the risk of getting caught was quite high. Who is going to know if a plumber crosses the Irish north south border in his van to install a gas boiler? No checks and I can't see the police on either side being interested as they could be accused of actioning a hard border and for a small businessman it could only be viewed as an unnecessary expense. I have little doubt that the impact on the Irish border will be negligible unlike anyone trying to do the same to France via Dover, assuming that border was not closed as it is currently.

So do you think this is bad law or good law? It sounds like you think this law should be broken by small businesses in Northern Ireland, which implies you think it's bad law in Northern Ireland's case, so why not just agree with me that it should not apply to Northern Ireland? 

Or are you just being contrary?

In more important news, the UK has quietly accepted that the Court of the European Union must be the final arbiter of EU law as is applied in Northern Ireland under the terms of the withdrawal agreement:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1471749986287333385

Remember all the bluster about triggering Article 16 over this? Yeah that's not happening now. The US trade deal is still the "big prize" and it is dead in the water if the GFA is weakened. Thank you Irish America :-)

26 minutes ago, murphaph said:

In more important news, the UK has quietly accepted that the Court of the European Union must be the final arbiter of EU law as is applied in Northern Ireland under the terms of the withdrawal agreement:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1471749986287333385

Remember all the bluster about triggering Article 16 over this? Yeah that's not happening now. The US trade deal is still the "big prize" and it is dead in the water if the GFA is weakened. Thank you Irish America :-)

Yup, it doesn't hurt that Biden considers himself Irish.

How Irish is Joe Biden? The US President’s ancestry and family links to Ireland explored | The Irish Post