BREXIT positives and negatives

1,647 posts in this topic

No worries John. Curiously I can't find you using @, even when I copy and paste your username directly in. In a strange way, this is the exact sort of thing that can be no problem at all in a single market, but a major problem outside one. Computer "stuff" that simply wasn't required before. Missing fields in forms. All that good stuff that is now a "thing" since Brexit.

24 minutes ago, murphaph said:

They smell the turning tide...

Could just be the raw sewage, though.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Holy moly, even the Daily Fakespress has posted a largely fact based article which is extraordinarily negative towards Brexit. They smell the turning tide...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1534017/UK-trade-data-post-Brexit-GDP-EU-evg

The comments are a larf of course.

That they constantly compare the UK trade stats to the EU stats just shows that even now, it it's a case of we won't be happy until we are doing better than the EU.

I know the divorce example was meant to just give and idea of how tings may go process-wise,  but it really looks like people think of the EU like en ex partner. They won't be happy until they are doing better as until that happens, it looks like they made the wrong decision. 

Comments were hilarious, I was expecting to see a few usernames from here over there defending brexit, I guess they've given up. Hard to blame them really. Now, you could ask why our usernames haven't been over there commenting on how bad brexit is, it's true, we haven't.

We didn't need to. Like talking to a person who refuses a covid vaccine and wants to argue that their immune system will keep them safe, we just had to wait. We waited, and things went less than swimmingly.

To be fair, everyone doesn't necessarily use the same user names everywhere.

Even here, on TT.

ETA - Himself ordered new contact lens for me. They arrived today and they were made in the UK. I guess that is a positive.:rolleyes: When can I expect them to have a tariff added on?

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

ETA - Himself ordered new contact lens for me. The arrived today and they were made in the UK. I guess that is a positive.:rolleyes: When can I expect them to have a tariff added on?

Finally a clear vision from the UK.

Just received a calendar from the UK. It cost the sender £7.80 in postage and me a further €15 on top for the Zoll.  The calendar itself is probably not worth a tenner. Ah well, that must have been what was meant by taking back control. 

Just a thought. When people in the US want to send me a gift or something, I tell them to order from amazon.de. Most have Prime so no postage and, of course, no zoll.

I understand the amazon.de doesn't have many British products.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Just a thought. When people in the US want to send me a gift or something, I tell them to order from amazon.de. Most have Prime so no postage and, of course, no zoll.

I understand the amazon.de doesn't have many British products.

The problem with Amazon is that they tie you into their system with an account, and you can only exchange etc through them. Doesn't really work for me.

But regardless, we from the UK had a perfectly good system for sending goods to Europe prior to Brexit. I think I'm more likely to tell my relatives in the UK, not to send me any presents. 

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm sure there are other options for shopping online in Germany other than Amazon if one wants to avoid the Zoll.

Sure, but that's more for the internet-savvy generation. There are still a lot of people who think sending a present means walking into a post office and paying the postage. 

I confess to using internet shopping at times, but only because of the health risks in the Covid crisis.  Internet shopping also creates its own problems. Delivery drivers who park their vans in the most ludicrous places, and because they are on a 3 minute delivery schedule, chuck the packet anywhere if the reciever doesn't open the door more or less instantly.  Besides that, it just encourages laziness. 

3 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

There are still a lot of people who think sending a present means walking into a post office and paying the postage. 

Yes, there are those. There are millions who don't think like that. Whatever.

Got all of our Xmas shopping done and delivered in 2 days. We're extremely lazy.

21 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I'm sure there are other options for shopping online in Germany other than Amazon if one wants to avoid the Zoll.

Use the Zentimeter?

Sorry. Being able to make that joke is literally the only positive thing about Brexit.

21 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Just received a calendar from the UK. It cost the sender £7.80 in postage and me a further €15 on top for the Zoll.  The calendar itself is probably not worth a tenner. Ah well, that must have been what was meant by taking back control. 

Because the postman couldn't collect the extra tariff, I've had to go queue up for the package in a post office, exposing myself to Covid risk, and paid €15 for my present! And the irony is I don't need another calendar! 

If you feel inclined you can claim the Einfuhrumsatzsteuer back and (allegedly) the €6 from DHL too. I have had the tax refunded by the Zoll in a similar case.