BREXIT positives and negatives

1,647 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Has anyone noticed a shortage of Christmas Puddings?

I was at an M&S on Friday and plenty of Christmas puds there. None of that excellent chocolate orange panettone, although I don't know if M&S UK are selling it either this year. 

2 minutes ago, Mackle said:

I was at an M&S on Friday and plenty of Christmas puds there.

Also "big" ones?

In the olde Daze M&S used to sell 1lb, 2lb & 3lb puds in various categories...

Just now, HEM said:

Also "big" ones?

In the olde Daze M&S used to sell 1lb, 2lb & 3lb puds in various categories...

Now I'm in an olde daze... I would say they were big enough for two people. I'm sure I will be near an M&S at the weekend so will do some pudding reconnaissance! 

4 minutes ago, Mackle said:

I would say they were big enough for two people.

Thats possibly the 100g "mini" pud...

My recipe makes 16 pounds of what we Yanks call fruitcake. Maybe because the Separatists who came on the Mayflower didn't celebrate Christmas. It tastes pretty damn good, especially after a couple months' worth of added brandy while it matures. Reminds me of this cartoon, whose memory I have cherished for seventy years.
61a3f911bb5f9_pineappleupside-downrumcak

Christmas/fruit cake and pudding are not the same.

Similar, for sure, but the pudding is a traditional British steamed pudding rather than a baked cake.

It is squishier, you mostly eat it hot/warm and with a sauce or custard - brandy butter being common.

4 hours ago, kiplette said:

Christmas/fruit cake and pudding are not the same.

Similar, for sure, but the pudding is a traditional British steamed pudding rather than a baked cake.

It is squishier, you mostly eat it hot/warm and with a sauce or custard - brandy butter being common.

It sounds wonderful, to the same extent as fruitcake; the difference is that you can wrap a piece of fruitcake to keep in your pocket to eat as a snack while you're skiing. Very dense calories.
I'd be very happy to eat Christmas pudding indoors. :) 

The best thing about Christmas Pud is setting it on fire and going "ooh-ah!" You must still be wearing the paper hat you pulled out of the cracker of course.  I'm usually too full after the dinner to really enjoy it.

I actually like eating it best a week or so later, when it has settled and become (even more) solid.  Slice it cold and fry it in butter then dribble over your alcohol laced sauce of choice.

8 hours ago, Feierabend said:

I actually like eating it best a week or so later, when it has settled and become (even more) solid.  Slice it cold and fry it in butter then dribble over your alcohol laced sauce of choice.

I've been here too long, I can see...

Fried Christmas Pud ???

Really ??

You'll be battering and deep frying a Mars Bar next

:blink:

Well, Nigella never mentioned battering it and frying it. 

She missed a trick there. I wonder whether a coffee liqueur batter would be acceptable in this case rather than a beer batter :lol:

On 28/11/2021, 22:36:21, HEM said:

Thats possibly the 100g "mini" pud...

454G - checked tonight

On 29/11/2021, 06:03:26, Feierabend said:

Slice it cold and fry it in butter then dribble over your alcohol laced sauce of choice.

Oh. My. God.

This could take your mind off it.

On 11/29/2021, 3:00:01, kiplette said:

Well, Nigella never mentioned battering it and frying it. 

She missed a trick there. I wonder whether a coffee liqueur batter would be acceptable in this case rather than a beer batter :lol:

Probably a bit too 'common' for her guests.

The wording is actually unclear. The new checks aren't on "imports from the EU". They are new checks by the EU on imports. He is talking about the rules of origin. These are fiendishly complex. You see Johnson didn't get a tariff free deal. Only goods made in the UK are tariff free. The UK cannot import stuff from China, put a sticker on it and sell it tariff free in the EU. Substantial value must be added in the UK. A certain proportion of the finished goods must be "British". It's not a simple matter to establish this. So far UK exporters have just been ticking a box that their products meet the rules of origin. Many (possibly most) actually have no idea if this is true. From January they will need to provide paperwork that proves it. I expect an awful lot of UK exports to the EU will cease for good at that point.

And the UK isn't even really checking imports from the EU yet. Brexit really hasn't happened at all. Things are going to get much worse next year.