BREXIT positives and negatives

996 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Personally I'd like to add one more to the list, given the recent addition of Pepper Pig to BJ's topics to talk about, with any luck he will rip the conservatives apart and out the out of power for a long time.

Is that likely, who knows, I remember time when people thought Thatcher would be in power for many more terms than she managed. The party was eventually swimming in sleaze accusations and it looks like this is starting again.  

I've always been interested in why that happens. Is it just that over time the ruling party comes under more scrutiny? is it that over time they move away from what their more powerful backers had in mind so they start to push sleaze as a way of getting rid of them? Or is that over time being in power just attracts more and more people who want to use their position for their own benefit and that eventually just hits some kind of critical mass where it all becomes obvious?

People have memories like Goldfish, there's a big hooha and finger wagging at the moment and platitudes followed by 'lessons will be learnt' but they will always put their snouts in the trough. For example, after the Wall street Crash and the depression, financial regulations were tightened up, then came Reagan and Thatcher deregulating everything and then after a few close shaves the Financial crisis of 2008 happened. The banks said 'lessons will be learnt' and then within a few years were offering dodgy mortgage deals to people who may not be able to afford them. We had under Major the Cash for Questions scandal, the present way various politicians and ex PM'S are lobbying isn't that far removed. Look how many cabinet members were involved in putting forward companies for government contracts to supply PPE. No doubt 'Lessons will be learnt' until this lot has died down and the younger pigs get back to the trough.

Despite Boris hitting the Tory self destruct button constantly, they will survive, Brexit will be forgotten in a few years, the Tories will then push the message that it's never been so good and the plebs will keep on voting for them because they will have either forgotten or never have learnt about the past.

The article about working mothers was a pretty crap summary.   UK meat producers are easing back on the exhausting 12 hour shift system that has taken over in the last 20 years.   Of course working conditions could improve without leaving the EU, but the UK often vetoed its way out of restrictions on working hours.    I hope things get better here for meat workers too.  I am lucky to have a choice of buying meat from local suppliers who grow their own feed and slaughter/butcher on a small scale.    A lot of the big chains here are moving away from class 1 and 2 meat.  So this is not purely a Brexit thing.

On 11/22/2021, 5:19:31, keith2011 said:

But we are not in the sub thread this one is titled  Brexit Positives and Negatives so I really am not sure why you included the quote from me as though you were attempting to answer which you clearly didn't. Then off you go  into a rant against the current and past Tory governments, not that there is would be anything wrong with that but as usual you flower it out with nonsense!

On 11/22/2021, 3:55:40, keith2011 said:

Given that most here ignore anything that does not show the the UK is  swimming in s#*t and jump on anyone who might point out all is so bad, that is hardly surprising. Many comments here are reminiscent of the Daily Mail brexit campaign but in reverse.

If you look at the above post(s) you will see my comment follows on from yours.

You said that people ignore the good stuff, I pointed out that we have tried to get a list of the good stuff going, and it failed. I also even added a good stuff thing, that you didn't like, which is a shame really as it's a very short list apparently. 

Now, I can do a crayon thing for you to join the dots between what you said and what I said. I know it makes your dig at people fall flat on it's face and you felt you needed to answer, but, well, I guess you've still got one foot on the floor and room in your mouth, if you move your pet lip out of the way, there's room enough.

34 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Now, I can do a crayon thing for you to join the dots between what you said and what I said. I know it makes your dog at people fall flat on it's face and you felt you needed to answer, but, well, I guess you've still got one foot on the floor and room in your mouth, if you move your pet lip out of the way, there's room enough.

???

Can I get a pint of what you are on, next time I want to get totally out of it?

18 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

???

Can I get a pint of what you are on, next time I want to get totally out of it?

It wouldn't help.

Basics for it to work are logical thinking and an ability to see the thread through a discussion.

To you it would just be water and make you pee a lot.

7 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

To you it would just be water and make you pee a lot.

Dude, giving someone Coors Light is a crime against humanity.

13 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Basics for it to work are logical thinking and an ability to see the thread through a discussion.

I am amazed you could put that sentence together since it is the absolute antithesis of your normal comments. Obviously the effects of whatever you are on does not last long or is it just a momentary flash of normality?

28 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I am amazed you could put that sentence together since it is the absolute antithesis of your normal comments. Obviously the effects of whatever you are on does not last long or is it just a momentary flash of normality?

I'm sure you were amazed, it's not something you would normally be able to get your head around. I'm guessing the flash or normality was yours, you were able to connect the dots and all that. well done.

Maybe it's because I didn't use any big or complicated words like you do from time to time. Maybe that is the problem, you're confusing yourself.

@cb6dbaYou know I mostly agree with you, but I couldn't understand what you were saying about the dog either. Should it have been dig? Or what?( Reminded me of the should-have-been-cat in the What made me smile/laugh thread) Ruddy smartphones I say.

7 minutes ago, Elljay said:

@cb6dbaYou know I mostly agree with you, but I couldn't understand what you were saying about the dog either. Should it have been dig? Or what?( Reminded me of the should-have-been-cat in the What made me smile/laugh thread) Ruddy smartphones I say.

:lol:

I should have remembered that keith is notoriously thin skinned when it comes to anyone criticizing the UK (government). 

53 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Maybe it's because I didn't use any big or complicated words like you do from time to time.

Not wishing to take the poss out of you any further but that's a good thing since even when using small words you rarely make any sense. :D

@keith2011To poss means to use a pole to laundry your clothes. Was that intentional? If not, frigging smartphones. And/or actually check what you- and the phone- have written! And that goes for all of us!

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Not wishing to take the poss out of you any further but that's a good thing since even when using small words you rarely make any sense. :D

And a good moaning to you...

3 hours ago, Elljay said:

@keith2011To poss means to use a pole to laundry your clothes. Was that intentional? If not, frigging smartphones. And/or actually check what you- and the phone- have written! And that goes for all of us!

No I was using my PC and no auto spellcheck, it was a deliberate jest ref. the use of the word dog rather than possibly dig in cb6dba's post. I confess I had no idea it was a real word, poss that is, just substitute the o for an i for the real meaning.;)

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/cut-taxes-brexit-fail-says-211011843.html

"Cut taxes or Brexit will fail" says Mr Brexit minister Frost. I can't remember any such caveats coming out during the Referendum campaign.  I thought the UK would be getting the £350 million a week from Brussels for the NHS and all would be covered.  

And, " We can't carry on as we were before and if, after Brexit, all we do is import the European social model, we will not succeed." says Mr Frost. 

So now its blame the European social model as the new scapegoat. He's got his Hard Brexit, we're outside the Single Market. What does he want? Maybe, he has a phobia to all things containing the word 'European'. 

I wonder if he means, Brexit won't work unless we dump all those European environmental and food safety standards or stop combatting pollution.  Just what the EU warned about. A Singapore style low tax economy off the coast of Europe dumbing down standards.    

9 hours ago, keith2011 said:

No I was using my PC and no auto spellcheck, it was a deliberate jest ref. the use of the word dog rather than possibly dig in cb6dba's post. I confess I had no idea it was a real word, poss that is, just substitute the o for an i for the real meaning.;)

We believe you. No we do (as I'm sure people will believe that I used dog originally to show that you bark when you hear something you don't like, such as criticism of the UK government)..

And we promise not to talk about the UK government from now on. Or any bad things.

(We promise on out Saint Johnson's bible)..