BREXIT positives and negatives

1,647 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

If you are a working mother then you are already working, why would you quit your job and join the meat industry?  Wouldn't that be covering one hole by making another hole?

It comes from a Tory, a species not exactly known for a high level of intelligence.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

If you are a working mother then you are already working, why would you quit your job and join the meat industry?  Wouldn't that be covering one hole by making another hole?

Maybe more money, cheap meat, cool working environment, to name but a few of the attractions.:) Get them out of those boring old non-productive office jobs!

They haven't, this statement came from a particularly clueless dimwit who really has no comprehension how ordinary people live.

Well, I have YET to see any real benefits to Brexit. Plenty of disadvantages though.  The problem is that the pandemic provides a wonderful obfuscating cover...that the UK government is quick to take advantage of.

Yeah...I suppose I do rather declare my stance up front don't I? Maybe I'll mellow in the face of reasonably argued and evidenced alternative views. :rolleyes:  

16 hours ago, French bean said:

They haven't, this statement came from a particularly clueless dimwit who really has no comprehension how ordinary people live.

At its core although an incredibly stupid statement it´s actually true.

The UK voted for Brexit,they voted to end FoM thus leaving many vacancies in jobs people just basically don´t want to do which is why foreigners did them in the first place.

Now it is up to the UK population to do those jobs.Any unemployed person who voted for Brexit or didn´t vote at all should do their duty and do these jobs.

Sorry but that´s how it is,you voted for the shit sandwich now it´s up to you to eat it.

14 hours ago, AntiBrexit said:

Well, I have YET to see any real benefits to Brexit. Plenty of disadvantages though.  The problem is that the pandemic provides a wonderful obfuscating cover...that the UK government is quick to take advantage of.

There will be benefits,but those benefits will probably take years to come to fruition.Whether the benefits will outweigh the negatives only history will tell.

56 minutes ago, Keleth said:

At its core although an incredibly stupid statement it´s actually true.

The UK voted for Brexit,they voted to end FoM thus leaving many vacancies in jobs people just basically don´t want to do which is why foreigners did them in the first place.

Now it is up to the UK population to do those jobs.Any unemployed person who voted for Brexit or didn´t vote at all should do their duty and do these jobs.

Sorry but that´s how it is,you voted for the shit sandwich now it´s up to you to eat it.

The key words are "Working mothers". Why specifically mothers? An abattoir is a cold place with a lot of physically hard work, will the abattoirs allow those with preschoolers to work part time or flexi hours to fit in with the school run? I doubt it. It's just so crass .

2 hours ago, French bean said:

Why specifically mothers?

Because they´re a group targeted often by MPs.They basically don´t believe there should be such a thing because mothers should take care of their kids at home and the man should be the breadwinner.Notice how a man is not a "working father".

Most MPs seem to think that being a working mother is a choice many women make,they do not realise that for many mothers it is a necessity so they´re often derided or the words are said with scorn.

I get the impression his whole comment was more a shot at women who dare to work when they have kids rather than being a shot at any sort of solution to lack of workers.Basically he means if a mother really wants to work then they should go work in the abbatoirs.

4 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Because they´re a group targeted often by MPs.

Of course, Boris Johnson is responsible for quite a few single mothers. Perhaps he's hoping that if they are all working they won't come after him for financial support.

Hey, here's a thought!

all those Tory MPs who desperately need a second job could staff the empty fields and abbatoires!

19 hours ago, AntiBrexit said:

Yeah...I suppose I do rather declare my stance up front don't I? Maybe I'll mellow in the face of reasonably argued and evidenced alternative views. :rolleyes:  

We've been waiting for reasonably argued and evidenced views pointing out Brexit's benefits for more than 5 years now. Don't hold your breath! 

Just fancied a curry so threw some veg in a pan and added a jar of Patek Curry mix.

Was delicious, I must say; certainty hit the spot.

But what's this? Patek wasn't made and produced in Bolton.

No, it now has a Polish address on the jar.

How many jobs went there then?

So much winning. 

47 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

We've been waiting for reasonably argued and evidenced views pointing out Brexit's benefits for more than 5 years now. Don't hold your breath! 

Given that most here ignore anything that does not show the the UK is  swimming in s#*t and jump on anyone who might point out all is so bad, that is hardly surprising. Many comments here are reminiscent of the Daily Mail brexit campaign but in reverse.

49 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Given that most here ignore anything that does not show the the UK is  swimming in s#*t and jump on anyone who might point out all is so bad, that is hardly surprising. Many comments here are reminiscent of the Daily Mail brexit campaign but in reverse.

We have had a running sub-thread in a way where people can post the various Brexit positives and open them up for discussion.

I think at the last count we got to 4 or 5 and one of those was that a ex boy-band member would not be able to tour Europe. 

Even our major Brexit supporting trolls avoided adding to that list.

Personally I'd like to add one more to the list, given the recent addition of Pepper Pig to BJ's topics to talk about, with any luck he will rip the conservatives apart and out the out of power for a long time.

Is that likely, who knows, I remember time when people thought Thatcher would be in power for many more terms than she managed. The party was eventually swimming in sleaze accusations and it looks like this is starting again.  

I've always been interested in why that happens. Is it just that over time the ruling party comes under more scrutiny? is it that over time they move away from what their more powerful backers had in mind so they start to push sleaze as a way of getting rid of them? Or is that over time being in power just attracts more and more people who want to use their position for their own benefit and that eventually just hits some kind of critical mass where it all becomes obvious?

15 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

We have had a running sub-thread in a way where people can post the various Brexit positives and open them up for discussion.

But we are not in the sub thread this one is titled  Brexit Positives and Negatives so I really am not sure why you included the quote from me as though you were attempting to answer which you clearly didn't. Then off you go  into a rant against the current and past Tory governments, not that there is would be anything wrong with that but as usual you flower it out with nonsense!