BREXIT positives and negatives

996 posts in this topic

It has been years since all plug in appliances in the UK are supplied with the plug fitted and in most cases it is a moulded one that cannot not be opened!

2 hours ago, French bean said:

Where's that then? Are you talking about countries such as Vietnam?

Philippines, in this case a young woman working as a salesperson and domestic worker in a bakery.

2 hours ago, French bean said:

Those people have moved into different sectors, look how many distribution warehouses have been built in the last 20 years. Global market with the likes of Amazon will make sure there are jobs out there.

Tell that to my former cleaning lady in rural Franconia who was in her 60ies and didn´t even have a driving license nor the mindset to upskill herself.

Another "dangerous" aspect of the 3 pin socket is that you can get a two pin Schuko plug into it using a knife or screwdriver to lever the flaps open. I would wager that most of us from 3 pin countries have done that at least once in our lives. 

When I visit my mother in the UK, I normal turn the 3 pin plug upside down, then put the earth  pin in to open the gate for the live and neutral pins, after this its normally possible to insert a German style plug into the live/ neutral connections of the UK socket - or I just use an adapter, if I can find where my mother has put it. 

35 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Another "dangerous" aspect of the 3 pin socket is that you can get a two pin Schuko plug into it using a knife or screwdriver to lever the flaps open. I would wager that most of us from 3 pin countries have done that at least once in our lives. 

That´s not really the fault of the plug itself though is it.

That´s like saying it´s a design fault of a BBQ because some people use petrol to light them with.

16 hours ago, keith2011 said:

As in Germany modern electrics are much safer.

Yes but many houses and flats in Germany still have wiring from aeons ago.

21 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Well they seem to have it everywhere else that I have been. Considering that Germany is übersafe about everything, why does the UK think it isn't safe?

Because the UK looks at it that a great majority of people are fucking idiots when it comes to safety and that is often shown to be the case.

20 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Can you provide statistics for how often that happens - fuel all over the floor?

Spent 3 or 4 years working on a motorway service station and although not a regular occurrence it does happen.

Here you see people (often staff) smoking on the edge of forecourts whereas that is a big no no in the UK.

Anyway the reason you have to fill your own car up is money pure and simple.There is such a small profit made on fuel (most of it is tax and profit for the oil company) that they simply can´t afford to pay someone to pump it.It always used to be considered that the profit you made on the fuel itself would cover costs but any actual profit you wanted to make came from the sales in the shop.

20 hours ago, fraufruit said:

No one else has the cords anymore is because light switches turn off automatically when overheated or wet.

Once again though there are many many places without modern switches.Also in the UK it used to be that you were not allowed to have a plug socket in a bathroom,don´t know if it is still so.

4 hours ago, French bean said:

Well, it would be good but reality says that won't happen.

So what is actually your argument against Jeba here then?

4 hours ago, French bean said:

Global market with the likes of Amazon will make sure there are jobs out there.

Ok never mind my last question to you as this sort of explains your thinking.

Let foreign companies exploit the people in their own countries rather than letting say Vietnamese companies exploit them.

8 hours ago, French bean said:

Don't you think it might be better for these people to stay and invest in their own country so that it economically grows and then has less poverty? What you are proposing is the mass exodus of a population leaving those behind who cannot leave living in worse poverty. What you want and others want to pay each individual won't be enough to make Is there something inherently immoral in that we are not economically benefitting our home country?a difference if they sent money home. However you dress it up, it's about you and others like you wanting to get something for as little as possible and that goes along the lines of exploitation.

The vast majority of people on this forum have packed their bags and gone to live in another country.    People leave for a variety of reasons. Some to better themselves materially, others to expand their cultural experiences, others through family circumstances. I guess East Europeans will often fall into the category, bettering themselves materially. I think all are equally valid, and no category is morally superior to any other.

8 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Let foreign companies exploit the people in their own countries rather than letting say Vietnamese companies exploit them.

But that is happening now but what it needs is strong government to ensure the exploitation doesn't happen. The introduction of the minimum wage was an important step, next the banning of Zero Hour contracts and the forcing people to be self employed needs to be done.That's just in Europe, this has to be rolled out onto the sub continent and Asia.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

No safety system is completely idiot proof. Why not use the razor socket that is pretty much universal in bathrooms these days and not just UK bathrooms!

57 minutes ago, Keleth said:

That´s like saying it´s a design fault of a BBQ because some people use petrol to light them with.

Exactly, though maybe more to the point to say:- That´s like saying it´s a design fault of a BBQ because some people use petrol and set themselves alight with it.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

The flush rather than shrouded socket design allows it by design and as Yesterday quickly confirmed, I'm not the only one to have done this. I bet most of us from 3 pin countries have bypassed the safety features to get a 2 pin plug inserted. Years ago it was usually to get that 2 pin plug delivered with the appliance in but the EU compelled manufacturers to deliver local plugs so nowadays it'll mostly be people travelling with 2 pin sockets that end up doing this. It's not possible to get a 3 pin plug into a Schuko socket. 3 pin plugs and sockets are still very safe compared to some of the truly flimsy systems out there. I just don't buy that they are really measurably safer in practice than Schukos.

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

Fierrsad wrote:

I have never done that and I hope others do not. I got an adapter from the baumarkt for 99c

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

Basically, Third World elite exploit just as badly as anybody else- or worse if allowed to get away with it. 

And at a microlevel - individuals with or without resources try to manipulate to their advantage re other individuals ( including within the family, partnership, friends..)

Humans...

11 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Why not use the razor socket that is pretty much universal in bathrooms these days and not just UK bathrooms!

Because that doesn´t allow you to use e.g. a hairdryer or an electric heater.

15 hours ago, murphaph said:

The flush rather than shrouded socket design allows it by design and as Yesterday quickly confirmed, I'm not the only one to have done this. I bet most of us from 3 pin countries have bypassed the safety features to get a 2 pin plug inserted. Years ago it was usually to get that 2 pin plug delivered with the appliance in but the EU compelled manufacturers to deliver local plugs so nowadays it'll mostly be people travelling with 2 pin sockets that end up doing this. It's not possible to get a 3 pin plug into a Schuko socket. 3 pin plugs and sockets are still very safe compared to some of the truly flimsy systems out there. I just don't buy that they are really measurably safer in practice than Schukos.

Stop it.

We need to stop finding excuses for people being complete and utter morons.

A carving knife is designed so that you could stab yourself with it.Is that a design flaw or is that down to complete and utter fuckwittery if someone stabs themselves.

When someone buys a Tesla and despite all the instructions saying hands on the wheel etc when using "autopilot" they decide to have a kip on the back seat and they crash.Is that Teslas fault or once again fuckwittery.

When someone put´s their handy in a microwave to "charge" is that the design of the microwaves fault?

Some things have design flaws where they cause accidents while being used exactly as they´re meant to be,but when someone uses something the wrong way or for other purposes it´s not designed for that's total and utter idiocy and their fault only.

Your sort of thinking is why on washing liquid pods they now tell people not to eat them or ovens have instructions not to touch them while they´re hot etc.

12 hours ago, john g. said:

Basically, Third World elite exploit just as badly as anybody else- or worse if allowed to get away with it. 

And at a microlevel - individuals with or without resources try to manipulate to their advantage re other individuals ( including within the family, partnership, friends..)

Humans...

Yup.

Let´s not forget for all those Western Country Companies exploiting Africa etc  there´s a businessperson or leader taking a nice healthy cash cut for themselves.

If you are a working mother then you are already working, why would you quit your job and join the meat industry?  Wouldn't that be covering one hole by making another hole?

What were the previous practices at meat processing facilities that meant British staff were forbidden from working there?