BREXIT positives and negatives

996 posts in this topic

The UK is going to become a more expensive place to live. Yeah some sectors will see pay increases but those people have to eat and heat their homes too so they will just be paying it back out. Overall standards of living will fall.

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

The UK is going to become a more expensive place to live. Yeah some sectors will see pay increases but those people have to eat and heat their homes too so they will just be paying it back out. Overall standards of living will fall.

It must be hard on those who are addicted to anti brexit rhetoric now the "Brexit Fall Out" thread has gone!:)

Lol, good man Keith. The thread was deleted precisely because it had become an embarrassment to those who claimed Brexit would be a roaring success. Its deletion confirms what an utter crock of stinking shit it has actually turned out to be.

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

It must be hard on those who are addicted to anti brexit rhetoric now the "Brexit Fall Out" thread has gone!:)

I think you do not understand the politics of this forum.

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

Lol, good man Keith. The thread was deleted precisely because it had become an embarrassment to those who claimed Brexit would be a roaring success. Its deletion confirms what an utter crock of stinking shit it has actually turned out to be.

Getting into conspiracy theories now?;)

What ever brexit turns out to be the cracks have certainly begun to appear and based on my recent visit to England the population are not blind to it. Whether those cracks can be plastered over or spread out beyond the shores of the UK remains to be seen, but all this lightweight harping on about something that was decided democratically 5 years ago just pisses me off!

2 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

but all this lightweight harping on about something that was decided democratically 5 years ago just pisses me off!

No-one is forcing you to discuss this issue. If you regard it as unimportant or irrelevant to your life, simply avoid this thread. 

5 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Getting into conspiracy theories now?;)

What ever brexit turns out to be the cracks have certainly begun to appear and based on my recent visit to England the population are not blind to it. Whether those cracks can be plastered over or spread out beyond the shores of the UK remains to be seen, but all this lightweight harping on about something that was decided democratically 5 years ago just pisses me off!

The decision may have been made 5 years ago, but for a lot of people, the effect on family and friends, businesses, the economy, is just starting, and people want to talk about it. 

If this thread pisses you off, then leave it alone. God knows, enough of us are doing the same on other threads.

7 hours ago, john_b said:

No-one is forcing you to discuss this issue. If you regard it as unimportant or irrelevant to your life, simply avoid this thread. 

I never said brexit was unimportant or irrelevant just that this and the similar now deleted threads, which are/were nothing more than "look I told you so" regurgitating of mostly petty newspaper talk, are!

Beyond that thanks for your good advice.

15 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

thanks for your good advice.

You're welcome :D

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

You mean like adults?

You have to try to understand that for some there is frustration and the need to throw rattles out of prams.

Others, who may entertain the thought of a visit to loved ones in the UK, find threads like these essential. For instance, I didn't know there was a fuel shortage until I read it on TT.

Personally I think it's very important to constantly remind people of the lies told in the run up to the referendum. The stuff that was dismissed as project fear has mostly come to pass. In fact much of the "worst case scenario of a no deal Brexit" as outlined in the Operation Yellowhammer documents has also come to pass and there was a (bare bones) deal.

Brexiteers and leave voters should not be let off the hook for the billions of pounds worth of damage done.

Brexit is already failing. A comprehensive US FTA was absolutely essential to give Brexit any chance of not being a complete shitshow. That is not happening. The UK has a big decision to make... persevere with this madness or throw the towel in and seek membership of the single market and customs union.

If the current or more likely the next government does throw in the towel, I hope they are prepared to compensate the EU member states that have spent hundreds of millions on Brexit themselves. All those new customs officers, often with jobs for life, have to be paid for.

1 minute ago, Fietsrad said:

I think we can be glad we live in stable boring Germany, especially after the Bundestagswahl.

Yep. I reminded the missus that Germany is a prosperous, stable country largely thanks to boring consensus politics. 

I never said brexit was unimportant or irrelevant just that this and the similar now deleted threads, which are/were nothing more than "look I told you so" regurgitating of mostly petty newspaper talk, are!

Well, when people go on about "you lost, get over it" then I'd expect a little bit of pointing out what has gone not so great.

That we've had several threads and nearly a 1000 pages I'd say it hasn't gone so great.

Look at the title of the thread and look at how many posts include a positive.

The last time I asked for positives, the main one that the ex singer from one of those Irish boy-bands can't easily tour the EU now. 

8 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

The last time I asked for positives, the main one that the ex singer from one of those Irish boy-bands can't easily tour the EU now. 

Oh ye of little faith...

blue_passport.jpg.3cdf9dafac2b9e6071ac94

happy_fish.jpg.59f681a1f8bd4afe76bfc9343

I also think people should be reminded of the lies that were told to get the vote, if the UK population had been offered the true then I would support the vote, but it was all just lies.

Also, like to comment of the latest developments, for example the shortages of food and petrol, which do not remember being talked about before or during the ref., much. For me it does not sound like a really big deal to me, but the press are blowing it out of proportion

Also, how people expected everything to be done within a year, OK Boris did it in a year, but you can see what a crap deal he got. People do not understand that trade deals take years to agree on or you end up with a crap deal. What Boris did is like going into a second hand car dealer and telling him, you need a car within 6 hours, but it has to be a good deal. Once you say it has to be done by this time, the car dealer will offer you a crap deal knowing you are going to take it by the end of the day.

It takes years of chatting to get a good deal, both sides start with there initial positions, if either side accepts the deal straight away, they get a shit deal. When negotiating both sides make offers, the other says yes, but in that case I want that or that is not agreed. The UK public were never told its going to take years to get a deal or it will be crap, they just expected it to be done in a year or less.

Look at the shit deal the UK has got with Austrilia, the Austrialins are very happy with it, because they get massive access to the UK market, while we get almost nothing in return