BREXIT positives and negatives

997 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

They should just pay those bus drivers twice as much and that would sort out the problem straight away wouldn't it?

Maybe not twice as much but at least enough to keep them sleeping in their own beds every night.

11 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Yes I know the Tory manifesto has included the reintroduction of serfdom since 2010.;)

Is that those zero hours contracts I heard about?

If you go back to the Cold War, there were 97k airmen in the RAF and probably the same number of seamen in the Royal Navy. The army was a lot bigger, probably with 200k plus soldiers. Now a lot of these people were given HGV licences (me included) and so there was a steady stream of people leaving the forces going into the private sector as drivers. Now since then there has been a constant reduction in the size of the forces with many of their haulage work req'd being done by contractors. The knock on effect is fewer people leaving with qualifications and so fewer going into haulage work. I would say that the road haulage industry got used to this and so didn't really need to invest in drivers. When the eastern Europeans came that hid the problem even longer so now it's a real case of lack of investment coming home to roost. It's really another knock on effect of continuous cost cutting by the Tories and we're lucky we haven't paid a heavier price. FFS we probably couldn't defend the Isle of Man against an aggressor now let alone the Falklands.

British Gov't to Aggressor. "Could you hold a while, we need to get our blokes back from driving Trucks and Ambulances, helping out with Covid jabs and then the TA  need time to sort out leaving their civvy jobs. Oh and we haven't quite got enough fuel for our gunboats. Our couple of big ships we've sent to China and our Aircraft are on PFI contracts so we need to sort that out. Hope you understand."

Signed: The Tories.

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Dunno who would bother invading blighty these days.

The French of course, they are the old enemy after all and just recently sent a gunboat to try and intimidate the channel islanders. Don't worry though the UK still has the independent (as long as the yanks don't disable it) nuclear deterrent.:unsure:

Speaking of the French...I read today that they are planning a go slow at Channel ports in retaliation for the UK's failure to issue the licences to French fishermen that France believes are due under the TCA. Is Johnson going to let the UK be completely crippled over a couple of dozen small fishing vessels...

8 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Speaking of the French...I read today that they are planning a go slow at Channel ports in retaliation for the UK's failure to issue the licences to French fishermen that France believes are due under the TCA. Is Johnson going to let the UK be completely crippled over a couple of dozen small fishing vessels...

I thought the UK needed the workforce?

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

Interesting you should bring that up, they also said they would cut off the power to Jersey. In fact according to the information I read the French would be totally out of order in taking any unilateral punitive retaliation against the UK over this dispute on the basis that their grievance is with an EU treaty so it is for Brussels to decide on the rights or wrongs and take any action!

Brexit supporters eat Johnson's shit for breakfast and proclaim it "delicious". But even the right-wing papers, especially the Mail, are sensing which way the wind is blowing (pardon the pun). There is a clear shift in narrative taking place. Even in the Fakespress they had a poll that revealed far more of their own readers would vote remain if a poll was held tomorrow! This is not the same as voting rejoin, but it's half way there at least. Brexit needed to at least not be a constant stream of bad news stories. Labour is moving towards backing PR for the first time in its history. It is conceivable that Brexit will not only destroy the UK but the Conservatives as the "natural party of government" if Labour and the Lib Dems can win an election on a platform of introducing PR.

9 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Brexit supporters eat Johnson's shit for breakfast and proclaim it "delicious".

There seems to be a correlation between Johnson and Trump supporters.

10 minutes ago, murphaph said:

It is conceivable that Brexit will not only destroy the UK but the Conservatives as the "natural party of government" if Labour and the Lib Dems can win an election on a platform of introducing PR.

I can´t ever see Labour seriously backing PR because they´d rather be as they are now as in the 2nd biggest party than part of a coalition which could see them having less seats than now.

18 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Interesting you should bring that up, they also said they would cut off the power to Jersey.

Yer but the media have to stoke the fires of the Brexiteers though.

Labour has been unable to support PR because the unions and their bloc votes have historically been against, whereas ordinary Labour members are far more open to the idea but the Unite Union has come out in favour of PR just last week and this on the back of the same union rejecting a motion in favour of supporting PR just a few weeks back. They are all finally realising that FPTP is a complete disaster for most people and the writing is on the wall for Labour if they don't get PR in before Scotland and NI leave (and possibly even Wales). Labour would be in permanent opposition in a purely English parliament and they know it. 

Unite wishes to engage with the rest of the TUC and push for PR. This is a significant change of heart as the unions have direct contact to millions of workers/voters, to convince them of the merits of this "weak European system".

Given that the Tories have been in power for  2/3 of the time in the last 40 years, Labour should realize its never going to work if they carry on like this, PR maybe their last hope for some time to come.

I would like to see PR aswell, it really is crap that all Governments in the last 40 years have had less than 50 % of the popular vote, yet hold almost absolute power