BREXIT positives and negatives

306 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Being in the EU didn't mean that everything was brilliant. All of the examples you have given are a direct result of domestic policy by governments elected by the UK population. Financial deregulation in the 80s has fuelled the house price boom and resulting owner/renter inequality, foodbanks are Cameron's legacy to those on lower incomes and university fees were introduced by Blair and set wild by Cameron. The EU didn't implement them, nor was it able to stop them.

The fact that the EU is neither perfect, nor a sure route to success for all Member States on all fronts, is no justification for leaving.

I don't disagree with you but unfortunately more that 50% of those who voted in the brexit referendum did. I have just tried to explain why they would have thought that way, basically  I believe they were looking for a change in the hope things would improve.

Well, keith, that is basically what I - living outside Britain for 30 years or so - am interested in- why? It is TOO easy to blame xenophobia ( though clearly so in some cases).

I am not walking in the shoes of those who may be affected by their decision to vote for Brexit .. 

But I am saddened. I am not thinking of myself but of the younger generation who see freedom of movement within the EU as a birth right these days.

And there are reasons to believe xenophobia is not only an UK issue. I doubt people in eg France, Greece, Poland, Hungary are any different. Personal experiences, personal standard of living etc.

6 hours ago, keith2011 said:

And finally this, which I believe confirms my assertions that the UK was doing badly since the start of this century.

nhs.jpg.870e463a836532d435cbc7dc661f35de

That´s the fucking Tories and their austerity programme and fuck all to do with the EU.

4 hours ago, keith2011 said:

the cost of renting/buying housing,

There´s a one word answer for the root cause of this....Thatcher.

the length of the lines waiting for food handouts,

Remember a couple of years ago when the EU gave handouts to some UK cities to feed their poor,remember the reaction of the Tories to it ?

the cost of getting a university education

Ooh yet again the Tories.

There seems to be a theme running through this and that theme is not the fucking EU.

9 hours ago, Keleth said:

Remember a couple of years ago when the EU gave handouts to some UK cities to feed their poor,remember the reaction of the Tories to it ?

Ooh yet again the Tories.

Even more recently when JRM said UNICEF shouldn't be giving aid to the UK. https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/opinion/rees-mogg-is-wrong-playing-politics-is-cutting-aid-under-the-banner-of-global-britain-213410/

The guy is straight out of a Dickensian novel and an anally retentative hypocrite.

21 hours ago, French bean said:

Public school system pumping out tossers like Bojo, Cameron, Osbourne, not people with genuine intelligence and ability.

Churchill from beyond the grave ? I think not. He was one of them anyway. But did a better speech.

4 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

6167e4b90977b_shittyjobs.jpg.44520186f43

Quite so. 

What they don't seem to get is that every western industralised country, that I know of, relies on foreign labour to do unskilled and indeed many skilled jobs. 

Just think of the catastrophic impact it would have on the German economy, if they were daft enough to stop freedom of movement.  Building workers, Nursing and careworkers, fruit pickers, car production line workers, all the cleaning work. Those are just a few sectors off top of my head, which would be facing collapse if Germany stopped freedom of movement. 

Downing Street moves to outlaw laughing at German jokes about Brexit

I LAUGHED AT US ONCE BUT I THINK I GOT AWAY WITH IT : 10 Downing Street has become alarmed over the increasing number of reports of British people laughing at German jokes about Brexit. So alarmed they have decided to do something about it, just as soon as the country’s ruling couple return from their latest holiday.

There's more...

On 13/10/2021, 14:38:55, Keleth said:

I´m all for wage rises and people actually earning a decent wage. But the cost of living will go up so really people will not be any better off as in they'll have more money but it will be worth less. Also if wages in this case rise then will the promised land be reached and no foreigners "stealing our jobs"?

It doesn't always work out like that - Switzerland's cost of living is amongst the highest in Europe, but the standard of living there is one of the highest in the world.  It does start to get murky when you talk about places like Dubai and Singapore, where some professions pay enough to negate the high living expenses, but other sections become trapped there.

On 13/10/2021, 16:55:40, murphaph said:

The UK wasn't doing badly in the EU. You made that assertion Keith, so you can go back it up. What is known is that since Brexit the pound has lost significant value and the UK has gone from 5th to 6th largest economy in the world, the "lazy French" having taken 5th place from them.

I thought pre-CoViD that India had already leapfrogged both Britain and France?

Today, an MP in parliament said, “We are constantly vilified in social media.”

Well you’ve lied, misled, deceived and broken this country. You’ve protected the rich against EU tax laws and hidden the facts from the electorate. You claim to have got Brexit ‘done’ yet here you are reneging on your ‘oven ready deal’.

In short, you are pig-headed arrogant and self-interested idiots. So when the deceit is publicly admitted, you may find the vilification dies down.

Until then, live with it. Just like we are. Forced by law to live with the mess you have bestowed upon us and for which we will pay long and hard to uphold your egos.

behavior

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:
Today, an MP in parliament said, “We are constantly vilified in social media.”

Well you’ve lied, misled, deceived and broken this country. You’ve protected the rich against EU tax laws and hidden the facts from the electorate. You claim to have got Brexit ‘done’ yet here you are reneging on your ‘oven ready deal’.

In short, you are pig-headed arrogant and self-interested idiots. So when the deceit is publicly admitted, you may find the vilification dies down.

Until then, live with it. Just like we are. Forced by law to live with the mess you have bestowed upon us and for which we will pay long and hard to uphold your egos.

@Wulfrun it is not clear to me if that was a quote in total or your own comment on what was said by an MP. Whatever, such vilification and inflammatory  language against a group of people runs the grave risk of justifying and encouraging the same against an individual person in the group  which is not acceptable, everyone has the right to expect respect and politeness in any form of communication. Ultimately accepting such  abuse against individuals will result in escalation to physical attacks as we have seen last week and in recent years.