BREXIT positives and negatives

803 posts in this topic

The UK wasn't doing badly in the EU. You made that assertion Keith, so you can go back it up. What is known is that since Brexit the pound has lost significant value and the UK has gone from 5th to 6th largest economy in the world, the "lazy French" having taken 5th place from them.

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The UK wasn't doing badly in the EU. You made that assertion Keith, so you can go back it up. What is known is that since Brexit the pound has lost significant value and the UK has gone from 5th to 6th largest economy in the world, the "lazy French" having taken 5th place from them.

And what Murph said.

gbpeur.JPG

53 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Furthermore nobody here has yet responded to explain why the UK was doing so badly while still in the EU,  only your one line opinion that post brexit things are the same shit=shit!:rolleyes:

Lack of investment

Short term planning - long term in the UK is 5 years, upto 10 years in the EU

Low tax economy for the wealthy

Dumbing down of the illiterate classes

Wealth not evenly spread in the country let alone the population.

Poor productivity (see first point)

Too many bankers in charge and not enough genuinely talented people at the top. e.g. companies are run by bean counters not engineers, designers, skilled people with deep knowledge of the products and the industry.

Public school system pumping out tossers like Bojo, Cameron, Osbourne, not people with genuine intelligence and ability.

The UK is not a genuine meritocracy.

And finally this, which I believe confirms my assertions that the UK was doing badly since the start of this century.

nhs.jpg.870e463a836532d435cbc7dc661f35de

It seems this has moved away from an UK/EU issue to a UK issue.

We always could have decided to not accept foreign workers in to the country but businesses wanted them. Freedom , movement means people can come over and work without any barriers, it doesn't mean you have to employ them. Any "taking back control" basically mean government are putting barriers in place to stop businesses having control over who they employ.

One bonus I haven't seen yet is a few of my unemployed friends back home who kept saying "foreign people taking our jobs" being made to go pick cucumbers and fruit.

I am really really really really looking forward to that brexit bonus.

48 minutes ago, optimista said:

Excellent synopsis French bean. 

Not mine, came from Churchill I believe.

2 hours ago, French bean said:

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Well maybe but if you won't believe anything on a graph that does not agree with your preconceptions try using the evidence of your eyes or those of friends still in the UK. Ask them how things have changed in the last 15 years for example the waiting times in A&E, the cost of renting/buying housing, the length of the lines waiting for food handouts, the cost of getting a university education, how much you would get on the dole then compare salaries but don't try and tell me " the UK was not doing badly in the EU".:angry:

25 minutes ago, French bean said:

Not mine, came from Churchill I believe.

Mark Twain

2 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Well maybe but if you won't believe anything on a graph that does not agree with your preconceptions try using the evidence of your eyes or those of friends still in the UK. Ask them how things have changed in the last 15 years for example the waiting times in A&E, the cost of renting/buying housing, the length of the lines waiting for food handouts, the cost of getting a university education, how much you would get on the dole then compare salaries but don't try and tell me " the UK was not doing badly in the EU".:angry:

Hitchens' Razor to that.

15 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Hitchens' Razor to that.

Then take a look at the UK stats on child poverty and life expectancy over the last 20 years.

Anyway I was responding to a dismissal without evidence of my evidence!;)

56 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

the waiting times in A&E, the cost of renting/buying housing, the length of the lines waiting for food handouts, the cost of getting a university education, how much you would get on the dole then compare salaries but don't try and tell me " the UK was not doing badly in the EU

Being in the EU didn't mean that everything was brilliant. All of the examples you have given are a direct result of domestic policy by governments elected by the UK population. Financial deregulation in the 80s has fuelled the house price boom and resulting owner/renter inequality, foodbanks are Cameron's legacy to those on lower incomes and university fees were introduced by Blair and set wild by Cameron. The EU didn't implement them, nor was it able to stop them.

The fact that the EU is neither perfect, nor a sure route to success for all Member States on all fronts, is no justification for leaving.

6 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Dominic Cummings says the Brexit deal was a way to "whack Corbyn"...

I got the impression that Corbyn "whacked" himself.