How to resign!

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

probably a non topic but...

From January I will start work in the UK, and so need to resign here in Germany. With the standard 6 weeks notice (until the middle of the month). I can work until the end of december, prior to moving. So all is legally good.

If you look through my old posts you'll see this move is linked to schools etc, as I really love it here in Germany...

However I am conflicted as to whether I resign at the last minute  (mid nov -as I have the standard 6 weeks) or now, i.e  giving the company a maximum warning. My wife suggests just at the last moment, using holiday and overtime to get out quickly. On the other hand I think giving them warning is best.

I will be resigning from a Mega-corp so on a global level it will have no impact, and I likely won't return,

but my team leader and colleagues are really great guys so I feel bad and want to minimise the problems for them.

Thanks for any advice

cheers

Matt

You have to give notice formally in writing for it to take effect but it may be no harm to tell your team leader informally beforehand,  as it gives more time to find and train a replacement.

My inclination in a teutonic environment would be to do it strictly by the book. Things go weird once you resign. The Hermans are big on loyalty and get offended easily IME. 

I resigned a few months ago and even though I had a much longer notice period (3 months). I still gave them a few extra weeks of notice, essentially as soon as I had signed my new contract. I worked in a smaller team so not the same situation, but they definitely appreciated the extra time and gave me an excellent reference letter at the end.

Thanks on the tips. Probably should have deleted all references to my name pre-posting! But it's pretty unlikely anyone who knows me will see it.

Optimista's comment is interesting, I have noticed that too. Some Germans do jump on the high horse and can get offended on some topics, where you would not expect it.

cheers