Reason of applying to German citizenship

8 posts in this topic

Hello. I've completed 6 years of permanent residency in Germany and I'm considering apply for the German citizenship. 

My question is: during the application process (specially during the Erstberatung appointment) will I be asked the reason of why I'm applying to become German? If so, what would be a good practical reason to state, in order to make my application easier to be accepted?

One of the main reasons that I'm considering applying is that, we're a Brazilian family and we don't know what the future holds for us, ie, in case we decide to move back to Brazil and then eventually decide again to move back to Germany/Europe, the German passport would be handy in facilitating this move and not having to bother again with applying for visa/residency permits from scratch. But I assume that's not a good reason to state for the clerk (possibly).

Wdyt?

You could mention that you want to be able to vote in the country you work and live in, where you pay your taxes. 

They probably won't ask but yeah, what Luke said if they do. You know you'll probably have to give up your Brazilian citizenship as part of the process? (assuming Brazil allows this)

14 hours ago, murphaph said:

You know you'll probably have to give up your Brazilian citizenship as part of the process? (assuming Brazil allows this)

Useful information for the OP here: https://linguabrasilis.de/einbuergerung-brasilianer-in-deutschland/

Renunciation of the previous nationality

In principle, the previous nationality must be renounced when naturalising. But there are various exceptions. This rule does not apply specifically to Brazilians, because for Brazil there is no loss of citizenship in the event of naturalisation. Many naturalisation authorities in Germany know about this, so they do not require proof of renunciation of Brazilian nationality. Attention: This exception is not in the law, but at most in administrative regulations - you have to find out in each individual case. It is only important to know that it is possible to have dual citizenship in Brazil and Germany after all.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Luke's suggestion is a very good one. I might use that if needed.

15 hours ago, murphaph said:

They probably won't ask but yeah, what Luke said if they do. You know you'll probably have to give up your Brazilian citizenship as part of the process? (assuming Brazil allows this)

Yep murphaph, I was aware of that. But as bramble mentioned, there are some exceptions for Brazil with which one can get away with keeping the Brazilian citenzship. Eg, from what I read/heard, Brazil doesn't allow the loss of citizenship in case one's applying for a second citizenship in order to excercise basic civil rights which only the citizenship can grant. I coule state voting as one of them.

(Source: https://www.dw.com/pt-br/%C3%A9-poss%C3%ADvel-perder-a-cidadania-brasileira/a-42603277 - in pt-BR. I'll leave it here as a reference in case someone bumps into the post in the future)

But again, that's still a bit fuzzy to me and I just have to find out exactly what write in the application forms as reason why I can't renounce my current citizenship (still looking into it).

Btw, thanks bramble for that link and info! I haven't seen it before. I'll take a look.

On 25.9.2021, 16:07:24, LukeSkywalker said:

You could mention that you want to be able to vote (or be voted for) ....

added a bit there...

There is 'aktiv' and 'passiv' Wahlrecht. A candidate runs or stands for office, uses their passiv Wahlrecht. I used my aktiv Wahlrecht to scratch crosses on the voting slip.