Johnson begging Brazil for Christmas turkey

38 posts in this topic

In the latest embarrassment to hit the UK thanks to the clusterfuck that is Brexit, the Brazilians are claiming that Johnson asked them to provide Britain's Christmas turkeys as the place can't seemingly feed itself:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/sep/24/boris-johnson-asked-for-emergency-food-deal-says-jair-bolsonaro-brazilian-president

Now both these right wing populist gobshites are well known liars and completely incompetent, so who knows. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

I hear Bolsanaro suggested that Britain's Xmas needs could be met by Brazilian turkeys.

Boris then asked "how many is a Brazilion?"

From the ridiculous to the sublime, we're going to run out of words soon to describe this mess!

Read the words very carefully. No substance in that article, just a load of 'we fear... may... could...'

Just more disgraceful journalism from The Guardian.

No smoke without fire. Number 10 did not flat out deny the conversation took place.

It's hardly an unlikely request as it looks like GB may not have enough fuel to bring the turkeys to the slaughterhouse, enough carbon dioxide to stun the turkeys when they are there, enough butchers to process them, enough HGV drivers to bring them to the supermarkets and people may not be able to afford the gas to cook them anyway.

On 9/25/2021, 1:09:48, murphaph said:

In the latest embarrassment to hit the UK thanks to the clusterfuck that is Brexit, the Brazilians are claiming that Johnson asked them to provide Britain's Christmas turkeys as the place can't seemingly feed itself:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/sep/24/boris-johnson-asked-for-emergency-food-deal-says-jair-bolsonaro-brazilian-president

Now both these right wing populist gobshites are well known liars and completely incompetent, so who knows. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

I'm a bit cynical of this story, Bolsonaro is a lying greedy two faced incompetent that is under a lot of pressure at the moment and will latch onto anything that gives him a boost. Also turkey production in Brazil had been falling so where are they going to get all these extra turkeys from?

Dunno but I do find it mildly amusing that as a result of Brexit there are going to be shortages of real gammon and turkey this Christmas, when we've had an apparent excess of the figurative ones since 2016.

Last thing I read was that the Turkeys would be coming from Poland and France...

Well as there is no great tradition of eating turkey at Christmas in Poland at least (don't they often eat fish for Christmas?) they can sell their commodity frozen turkeys at luxury prices in the UK. This is what happens when you starve your own economy of labour but you are treaty bound to accept the goods from countries where the labour is free to work. So the UK has blocked Polish meat factory workers from working in the UK. Fine, they will stay in Poland and prepare the meat there and export the end product to the UK instead. All this does is put UK farmers and meat producers out of business. 

On 05/10/2021, 09:00:10, murphaph said:

... starve your own economy of labour ...

As long as there are swathes of unemployed and underemployed this does not compute, especially if you are talking about low-skilled labour. It's not like all those jobseekers are university graduates. The skills mismatch needs to be addressed. Shipping them in and housing them in garden sheds is surely not the answer.

On 05/10/2021, 09:00:10, murphaph said:

Well as there is no great tradition of eating turkey at Christmas in Poland at least (don't they often eat fish for Christmas?) they can sell their commodity frozen turkeys at luxury prices in the UK. This is what happens when you starve your own economy of labour but you are treaty bound to accept the goods from countries where the labour is free to work. So the UK has blocked Polish meat factory workers from working in the UK. Fine, they will stay in Poland and prepare the meat there and export the end product to the UK instead. All this does is put UK farmers and meat producers out of business. 

That scenario applies equally to Germany and France and indeed the other western European EU nations and Scandinavia, allowing free movement does not protect you from cheap imports from EU countries with lower labour costs, though it may depress your own wages!

46 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

That scenario applies equally to Germany and France and indeed the other western European EU nations and Scandinavia, allowing free movement does not protect you from cheap imports from EU countries with lower labour costs, though it may depress your own wages!

And provide you with a turkey for Christmas and as they are not in the UK they will not pay any tax or NI on their wages etc. 

So it's a lose (no turkey) lose (less tax and NI) lose (the price of the turkeys will be set by the shops, so it could stay the same) situation.

Let's hope the conservatives do not decide to raise taxes...

Although if the whole immigrant/wage suppression topic was as easy as some politicians say it is, HGV drivers should be raking it in right now.

Although that is not right, because immigrants were taking British jobs so there must be enough home grown drivers ready to step up and take those jobs.

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

And provide you with a turkey for Christmas and as they are not in the UK they will not pay any tax or NI on their wages etc. 

So it's a lose (no turkey) lose (less tax and NI) lose (the price of the turkeys will be set by the shops, so it could stay the same) situation.

As usual you have completely missed the point which, at the risk of being repetitive, was the situation regarding cheap imports from EU countries with lower labour costs is no different for the UK and EU member states in Western Europe or Scandinavia but at least the UK can no longer rely on that cheap labour to depress it's own labour costs!

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

As usual you have completely missed the point which, at the risk of being repetitive, was the situation regarding cheap imports from EU countries with lower labour costs is no different for the UK and EU member states in Western Europe or Scandinavia but at least the UK can no longer rely on that cheap labour to depress it's own labour costs!

You assume I was looking for your point and you [insert accusatory or insult] missed the point that without all that, we would not have any turkeys. 
How can immigrants working in an industry suffering from a large lack of workers suppress wages in that area?

A surplus of workers will also drive down wages, we do not have a surplus, we have a deficit.

Even then, wages can only go so high, you can't increase wages and have 1p profit on a turkey, it just become pointless to bother selling it. 

We will eventually just get the labour from elsewhere, it will still be cheap. Business likes cheap labour. It helps keep costs down. This is why the conservatives seem to be useless at the moment, they are trying to balance two sides of the conservative coin, the side that likes immigrants and the cheap labour and the provide and the other that wants to keep the immigrants out. It would be popcorn politics if it wasn't causing so much damage. 

As for products, cheap products are used to make people feel better about their living situation.  People on minimum wage who can still buy clothes, food etc for the family are goiig to be more happy than people struggling. This is not EU specific, for years we had cheap clothes from over in Asia, right now you can cheap USB sticks from china.

You talk about missing the point when you are actually just looking at one area of the word and saying "see, there is my point, just there, in this bit, no, not that bit, this bit, forget that bit over there or anything form other places, it is just this bit, right here".

As such we will just buy cheaper stuff from elsewhere, regardless of what we have to give in return. If we have to open up some areas of our economy to get that cheap stuff, we will. if we have to pen up the NHS to get cheap beef form the states (eventually if it happens) we will. The conservatives will do that, they will let areas die in order to give people the feeling that things are, they are doing well. If that helps them win votes, they will do it. 

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

You assume I was looking for your point and you [insert accusatory or insult] missed the point that without all that, we would not have any turkeys. 

I have to admit I did assume you were responding to a point in my post, seeing as you quoted it but if it is just about turkeys then I guess you know it all.;)

It is not just the pay.  Large scale meat processing is horrible.   The hours, the conditions, the stress.  

40 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I have to admit I did assume you were responding to a point in my post, seeing as you quoted it but if it is just about turkeys then I guess you know it all.;)

You two are quarrelling! Take a few days off for some " cold turkey "!👍

12 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

It is not just the pay.  Large scale meat processing is horrible.   The hours, the conditions, the stress.  

Exactly, if there is no one to do the job, invest in mechanisation it will be cheaper and more efficient in the long run.