What happens to family insurance if my husband loses his job?

24 posts in this topic

My husband is 18 months into a 2 year fixed term employment contract and is having issues with a toxic work environment and has been signed off sick with burnout, stress and depression. He is insured with public health insurance and has been since he started working here. I am insured through his family insurance. If his employer decides not to continue with the contract when it finishes, or to fire him before the contract ends I think my husband can claim unemployment and his health insurance is covered, but does that include my cover with the family insurance? I'm pregnant and worried I won't have appropriate cover if this happens. 

*Also just to note, we are planning to move away from Germany once the contract finishes but due to pregnancy complications I can't travel and I need to have the baby here in Germany before we can move*

5 hours ago, krankenwagen said:

My husband is 18 months into a 2 year fixed term employment contract and is having issues with a toxic work environment and has been signed off sick with burnout, stress and depression. He is insured with public health insurance and has been since he started working here. I am insured through his family insurance. If his employer decides not to continue with the contract when it finishes, or to fire him before the contract ends I think my husband can claim unemployment and his health insurance is covered, but does that include my cover with the family insurance? I'm pregnant and worried I won't have appropriate cover if this happens. 

*Also just to note, we are planning to move away from Germany once the contract finishes but due to pregnancy complications I can't travel and I need to have the baby here in Germany before we can move*

Yes, don't worry, a German public health insurance policy always also covers the non-working spouse (= you) and all children, regardless of the employment status.

So your pregnancy will always be covered.

As soon as he gets fired, but at the latest 3 months before the end of the contract (though going by what you describe, with him already being signed off sick because of burnout, I would go in sooner than later, in these cases he could even resign and not lose the benefits for the first 3 months like is usually the case if somebody resigns and doesn't get fired), your husband has to go to the "Bundesagentur für Arbeit" (old name: Arbeitsamt) and tell them that he is/will be unemployed and they will then pay him unemployment benefits and pay his public health insurance for him.

Enter your postal code in here to find your local office of the "Bundesagentur für Arbeit": https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/privatpersonen

Unemployment benefits (= Arbeitslosengeld I = ALG I) are 60% of his last net salary (once your baby is born, he will get 67% of his last net salary): https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/en/financial-support

Additionally, as soon as the baby is born, apply for:

Kindergeld: 219€ per month

It is only paid out retroactively for 6 months, so apply immediately after the birth.

Kindergeld  is paid regardless of income, but you have to apply for it once the child is born, see this brochure (in English): https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/datei/KG2-e-MerkblattKindergeld_ba014317.pdf

You will need to fill in your own Steuer-Identifikationsnummer (= tax identification number) and the baby's Steuer-Identifikationsnummer (which will arrive in a letter about 2 weeks after the birth).
Attach a copy of the birth certificate.

Main application form (in English): https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/datei/kb1-e-antrag-kindegeld_ba014064.pdf

+ an "Appendix child" (in Englush): https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/datei/kg1-e-anlagekind_ba014065.pdf

Elterngeld: 65% (for low-income: 67%) of the net salary, or 300€ per month if you didn't work the last year

It is only paid out retroactively for 3 months, so apply immediately after the birth.

Elterngeld is paid for 12 months after the birth and is capped at 1,800€ per month.
Actually, the total Elterngeld entitlement is 14 months, but only if both parents take Elterngeld (and stay at home during those months!), so you could, for example, have the wife take 12 months and the husband take 2 months (this is what most people do), or the husband takes 12 months and the wife takes 2 months, or each of you takes 7 months, and so on. 
Elterngeld, like Kindergeld, is given regardless of income.

Here are the application forms for the Elterngeld in Hamburg, if you go there, they will help you fill in the form: https://www.hamburg.de/formulardownload/118148/elterngeld/

If your family is low-income, there are also other benefits you can apply for, e.g.:

Please also read this thread:

Good luck and don't let this get you down, concentrate on the baby!

@PandaMunich

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply and all the information you provided! I'm very reassured that the health insurance will still cover us all.

Would it be ok to give you a little more detail and ask some more questions? 

My husband was signed off for 3 weeks with stress, burnout and depression in late summer, he then immediately had a weeks holiday which had been booked for a while. He did email his manager and HR to say he would be happy to move the holiday as he'd been off for 3 weeks already but his manager told him he should take it as it was already arranged. He's now been back to work for a few weeks.

During the week of holiday he emailed his head of department and HR to formally request 2 months of Elternzeit - our baby is due early November and we knew we had to apply within a certain time frame, and we thought, perhaps mistakenly, that it would be better to request it earlier (only 2 weeks before the 7 week deadline though), than wait until he was back at work so the department would have more time to plan for it. We deliberately kept the email friendly and open to communication. He didn't get a reply for several days and, as I'm assuming because Elternzeit is a protected time, the reply email was ok, just saying thanks and we'll speak about it when he gets back.

When my husband went back to work he had a meeting with his manager - the official line was to discuss how he could help him after being off sick. My husband explained how he had been feeling and asked for some more support from management but his manager refused and said he needed to sort it out himself, and then basically said he didn't think my husband was fit for the job. It's complicated but my husband started at the company in one role, and then at the beginning of this year they told him they were restructuring the department and he would need to reapply for a new position (basically the same role but with more responsibilities) and that the new role was going to be advertised externally. This was a big stress for my husband particularly as I was newly pregnant and if he didn't apply he would've been out of a job.

In the end he was offered the job in March and in May this year my husband was given a glowing appraisal and the highest level of performance related bonus pay (all approved by his manager) so I don't believe his manager's current attitude is actually to do with my husband's capability to do the job, but more to do with the fact he took 3 weeks off sick and then asked for 2 months Elternzeit within a 6 month period. My husband spoke to HR and their attitude was 'what do you want us to do about it?' and 'you have to think about whether this role is right for you.' Two other people in his department have been signed off sick within the last 6 months, there is a culture of overworking and issues not being dealt with. Also, on a personal note we have had a really tough year as I had a stillbirth at the end of 2020 just before the 8 month lockdown, so we've both had a lot to deal with and emotionally it's been very difficult.

I read last night that my husband is protected from dismissal now until after his Elternzeit period, but he is really struggling to go in every day and is completely demoralised. I suggested that he try to be signed off work again, but it could be still several weeks until the baby arrives and I don't know if the doctor would sign him off for the whole time (about max. 7 weeks now). If he took more sick leave and then had to go back to work again before the baby arrives I think his manager will be even more angry about it and it will be even more difficult for my husband. Plus we don't know when the baby will actually arrive and if he arrives early I don't know whether the sickness time/pay would affect my husband's Elternzeit (for example if he was signed off for 7 weeks and the baby arrives in 5 weeks?)

After reading your reply I was thinking that perhaps resigning now would be a good option - would he need support from his doctor in order to get unemployment immediately? I'm slightly nervous about this route as we have savings but if for some reason he isn't covered immediately money would be extremely tight, and I worry our health insurance wouldn't be covered until his unemployment started just before I'm about to give birth.

I also have a few questions about Elterngeld - I thought I'd lay them out to try and make them less confusing!
  • Am I correct in thinking if he resigns now, he can apply for Elterngeld as an unemployed person and could claim up to 12 months (from when the baby arrives)?
  • If he stays in his job, and takes the 2 months Elternzeit, can he then resign at the end of the Elternzeit and still be entitled to Elterngeld for furter months as an unemployed person, or does he need to apply for 12 months Elterngeld when the baby is born with the intention of leaving work after 2 months?
  • I read if he wants to leave at the end of the Elternzeit he needs to give 3 months notice, but what happens if you are only taking 2 months off?
  • I read that Elterngeld can take a while to come through - how does this work with unemployment money? Would he receive unemployment money until the Elterngeld payments start? Would we have to notify the Bundesagentur fur Arbeit or does this happen automatically?
I'm trying to work out the best way to move forward, to ensure that we are able to cover our bills and expenses and to protect my husband's mental health, particularly as we are about to have a newborn baby added to the mix.

After his Elternzeit finishes he would have approximately 1 month to go until the end of the contract, but I don't think it's even worth sticking that out. I think the options are:
  • He gets signed off until the baby arrives, takes the Elternzeit from work but hands in his resignation during the Elternzeit period and then claims the Elterngeld as unemployed.
  • He resigns now and claims unemployment (but I am nervous this maybe refused) and then claims Elterngeld once the baby arrives.
I know it's a lot of questions sorry, I would just really like to not have to worry about all this and just enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy! I would really appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Thank you!

One important element with kindergeld, is apply as soon as possible. For one friend who moved from another EU country, it took them 9 months, as the office 'lost' the documents sent to them. From others I hear similar complaints. At that time, she got back the 9 months back payments, but now they limit this to six months max. 

@scook17 Thank you! I will make sure we do this asap, but we have to wait until the baby has arrived to apply for anything right? I have the form printed off already so will make sure everything is ready to go by the time the baby is here.

@PandaMunich Apologies I hadn't read the entire thread you linked properly and I now see some of my questions are answered there regarding resigning on health grounds and being covered by unemployment immediately. I have suggested my husband goes to his doctor next week to discuss this option further. 

>Am I correct in thinking if he resigns now, he can apply for Elterngeld as an unemployed person and could claim up to 12 months (from when the baby arrives)?

If he resigns now, it will lower his Elterngeld by a bit, since he would then have one or two months with income 0€ (since unemployment benefits do not count as income), Elterngeld is based on the sum of the salary income within the last 12 months before the birth: https://www-elterngeld-net.translate.goog/anrechnung-einkommensersatz.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui,elem

--> ideally, he should time his resignation so that he has 12 "full" salaried months before the birth. The medical doctor may write him off sick under a different diagnosis, this would mean he would get his normal salary for up to 6 weeks (which would then "count" for Elterngeld) and starting with the 7th week Krankengeld from the public health insurer (which doesn't "count" towards Elterngeld).

You also need to consider that Elterngeld is capped at 1,800€ per month, while unemployment benefits go up to 2,619€.

--> so you may be better off having your husband claim unemployment benefits, plus 2 months of Elterngeld and you claim 12 months of minimum Elterngeld at 300€ per month.

You really have to calculate it through with your own numbers:

>If he stays in his job, and takes the 2 months Elternzeit, can he then resign at the end of the Elternzeit and still be entitled to Elterngeld for furter months as an unemployed person, or does he need to apply for 12 months Elterngeld when the baby is born with the intention of leaving work after 2 months?

Yes, you can change around the allocation of the Elterngeld months between your husband and yourself later on: https://www-elterngeld-de.translate.goog/aenderungen-im-elterngeldantrag-nachtraeglich/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui,elem#gref

>I read if he wants to leave at the end of the Elternzeit he needs to give 3 months notice, but what happens if you are only taking 2 months off?

Well, they could insist that he still works that extra month, but what mostly happens is that the employer just lets the employee go, with both signing an Aufhebungsvertrag (dissolution contract) in which they agree to part ways.

>I read that Elterngeld can take a while to come through - how does this work with unemployment money? Would he receive unemployment money until the Elterngeld payments start? Would we have to notify the Bundesagentur fur Arbeit or does this happen automatically?

Unemployment benefits come through faster than Elterngeld, yes.

Nothing in Germany comes "automatically", you always have apply.

And yes, you have to notify the Bundesagentur für Arbeit about any change.

Please also read this: https://www-advocard-de.translate.goog/streitlotse/arbeit-und-karriere/arbeitsvertrag/elterngeld-fuer-arbeitslose-so-ist-der-anspruch-geregelt/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui,elem

@PandaMunich Thank you so much for all the information and for the time you have spent in responding to me. I am going to spend some time reading through everything carefully and make a plan with my husband. We really appreciate your help!

Hello @PandaMunich I was wondering if I could ask you a couple more questions? My husband's work did offer him a development meeting which seemed to go well but they have since started to put on a lot more pressure and suggested they won't renew his contract due to his sickness time, so we are now trying to finalise the best thing to do. He recently spoke to his doctor who was very supportive of starting the process of resigning on medical grounds.

I wondered if the scenario below would work? 

My husband resigns on medical grounds through his doctor, either very soon (if his doctor says it's a new issue) as there is a maximum of 6 weeks until the baby arrives, or closer to the due date (as he only has 2.5 weeks left of fully paid sick pay if it's for the same issue). He then claims Elterngeld for approximately 3 months so we can visit England with the baby. This would be based on his last 12 months of full salary. Then we come back to Germany and he can switch to Arbeitslosgeld and look for a new job.

We haven't been back to the UK since January 2020 and we'd really like to go back and visit our families with the baby but I read that you can't travel when claiming Arbeitslosgeld, but you can travel when claiming Elterngeld which is why I think this is the better option, rather than going straight to Arbeitslosgeld. Is this correct?

However, would that 3 months of Elterngeld then count towards his subsequent Arbeitlosgeld? If not, I thought it might be possible that he claims for a longer time of Elterngeld (which would be based on his 12 months of full pay up until the birth) and just look for a job during that time without the help of the Bundesagentur für Arbeit? Would that be allowed?

I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

10 hours ago, krankenwagen said:

My husband resigns on medical grounds through his doctor, either very soon (if his doctor says it's a new issue) as there is a maximum of 6 weeks until the baby arrives, or closer to the due date (as he only has 2.5 weeks left of fully paid sick pay if it's for the same issue). He then claims Elterngeld for approximately 3 months so we can visit England with the baby. This would be based on his last 12 months of full salary. Then we come back to Germany and he can switch to Arbeitslosgeld and look for a new job.

Yes, that would work.

I read that you can't travel when claiming Arbeitslosgeld, but you can travel when claiming Elterngeld which is why I think this is the better option, rather than going straight to Arbeitslosgeld. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct.

However, to get Elterngeld, you would need to keep your German flat (= Wohnsitz) or spend at least 6 months out of a rolling 12 month period in Germany (= gewöhnlicher Aufenthalt), this is what is laid down in §1 (1) Nr. 1 BEEG:

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/beeg/__1.html

However, would that 3 months of Elterngeld then count towards his subsequent Arbeitlosgeld? 

As long as he only takes up to 12 months of Elterngeld, the Elterngeld would not affect his later Arbeitslosengeld, which would still be based only on his salary.

They look at a 2 year period going back from the last date on which he got Elterngeld, and if during those last 2 years, he worked at least 150 days, i.e. 5 months (he has), then his Arbeitslosengeld is simply based on his pre-baby salary, i.e. he gets the same Arbeitslosengeld I as if he had asked for it right after becoming unemployed and he would get the Arbeitslosengeld I for up to another 12 months.

But as soon as he draws Arbeitslosengeld I, his caseworker at the Bundesagentur für Arbeit will make him apply for jobs, even for jobs that he is overqualified for, just to get him back to work, so it's not a second 12 month holiday.

Only if he opted for getting only half the Elterngeld, but for double the time (= ElterngeldPlus), i.e. for 24 months instead of for 12 months, he would no longer have the "5 worked months" during in the 2 year period.

He would only have drawn ElterngeldPlus during that 2 year period.

In such cases, he can still get Arbeitslosengeld I, but it will not be based on his previous salary, but on a "fictive salary" that is based on his educational status (if he has a university degree he would get double of what he would get if he had no professional training at all).

You can read up on this here:

If not, I thought it might be possible that he claims for a longer time of Elterngeld (which would be based on his 12 months of full pay up until the birth) and just look for a job during that time without the help of the Bundesagentur für Arbeit? Would that be allowed?

He can always look for a job on his own, yes.

For qualified people, the Bundesagentur für Arbeit isn't that much help in finding a job.

Usually, you know better what kind of job you are qualified for and where and how to apply.

4 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

his caseworker at the Bundesagentur für Arbeit will make him apply for jobs, even for jobs that he is overqualified for

Not really relevant in this case (hopefully), but out of curiosity: Are there limits to how much of a downgrade you have to accept? Could e.g. a former CEO with a 7-figure salary be expected to work as a receptionist for minimum wage?

5 hours ago, jeba said:

Are there limits to how much of a downgrade you have to accept? Could e.g. a former CEO with a 7-figure salary be expected to work as a receptionist for minimum wage?

The limits are listed in §140 SGB III: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/sgb_3/__140.html

• § 140 Reasonable employment
    (1) An unemployed person may reasonably be expected to take up any employment corresponding to his or her ability to work, unless there are general or personal reasons why employment cannot reasonably be expected.

(2) For general reasons, employment of an unemployed person is in particular not reasonable if the employment violates statutory provisions, provisions of collective agreements or provisions on working conditions laid down in works agreements or provisions on occupational health and safety.

(3) For personal reasons, employment of an unemployed person is unreasonable in particular if the remuneration that can be earned therefrom is considerably lower than the remuneration on which the assessment of the unemployment benefit is based. In the first three months of unemployment, a reduction of more than 20 per cent and in the following three months of more than 30 per cent of this remuneration is unreasonable. From the seventh month of unemployment onwards, an unemployed person cannot reasonably be expected to work only if the net income that can be earned therefrom is lower than the unemployment benefit, taking into account the expenses related to the employment.

(4) For personal reasons, an unemployed person cannot reasonably be expected to work if the daily commuting times between his or her home and place of work are disproportionately long compared to the working hours. As a rule, commuting times of more than two and a half hours in total for a working time of more than six hours and commuting times of more than two hours for a working time of six hours and less are to be regarded as disproportionately long. If longer commuting times are common among comparable employees in a region, these shall be the standard. An unemployed person can reasonably be expected to move to take up employment outside the reasonable commuting area if he or she is not expected to take up employment within the reasonable commuting area within the first three months of unemployment. From the fourth month of unemployment onwards, an unemployed person can usually be reasonably expected to move to take up employment outside the reasonable commuting area. Sentences 4 and 5 do not apply if there is an important reason for the move. An important reason may arise in particular from family ties.

(5) Employment shall not be deemed unreasonable merely because it is of limited duration, temporarily requires separate household management or does not belong to the group of occupations for which the employee is trained or which he or she has previously exercised.

So to answer your question, no, as long as he gets ALG I, the CEO cannot be forced to work at minimum wage as a receptionist since his new net salary would be lower than his ALG I.

The CEO (in tax class III and with at least one child and assuming a gross monthly salary of at least 7,100€) would get an ALG I of 2,989.20€ a month, see this ALG I calculator: https://www.pub.arbeitsagentur.de/selbst.php?jahr=2021

His gross salary for a full time job at minimum wage would be 1,664€ (see this minimum wage calculator), which works out to around 1,330€ net a month.

Here is an article listing all the criteria for jobs that still have to be accepted if you are on ALG I: https://www-arbeitsvermittler-de.translate.goog/arbeitslosigkeit/zumutbarkeit/wann-ist-eine-arbeit-zumutbar-oder-unzumutbar?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui

The above article has a link to the specific instructions to the caseworkers, on how they should apply §140 SGB III (in German): https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/datei/fw-sgb-iii-140_ba015147.pdf

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

However, should the CEO not find a new job during his ALG I period, he then falls back to ALG II (= Hartz IV = welfare).

And then, he has to accept any job, no matter how low the salary.

This is laid down in §10 SGB II: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/sgb_2/__10.html

• § 10 Reasonableness
    (1) Any work can reasonably be expected of a person entitled to benefits who is capable of working, unless:

1. he/she is physically, mentally or emotionally incapable of the work in question,

2. the performance of the work would make the future performance of the previous predominant work considerably more difficult because the previous activity makes special physical demands,

3. the performance of the work would endanger the upbringing of their child or the child of their partner; the upbringing of a child who has reached the age of three is generally not endangered if care is provided in a day-care facility or in day-care within the meaning of the provisions of Book Eight or in some other way; the competent municipal institutions shall work towards ensuring that parents who are capable of working are offered a place for day-care for the child as a matter of priority,

4. the exercise of work would be incompatible with the care of a relative and care cannot be ensured in another way,

5. the performance of the work is prevented by any other important reason.

(2) A job is not unreasonable solely because:

1. it does not correspond to a previous occupational activity for which the person entitled to benefits who is capable of working is trained or which was previously exercised,

2. it is to be regarded as inferior with regard to the training of the person entitled to benefits who is capable of working,

3. the place of employment is further away from the place of residence of the person entitled to benefits who is capable of working than a previous place of employment or training,

4. the working conditions are less favourable than in the previous employment of the person entitled to benefits who is capable of working,

5. it is connected with the termination of gainful employment, unless there are well-founded indications that the previous employment can in future end the need for assistance.

(3) Paragraphs 1 and 2 shall apply mutatis mutandis to participation in measures for integration into employment.

Specific instructions to the caseworkers, on how they should apply §10 SGB II (in German): https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/datei/fw-sgb-ii-10_ba015846.pdf

@PandaMunich Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply again! 

I was just wondering, if my husband resigns on medical grounds, does the doctor sign him off for 6 weeks and then he hands in his resignation at the end of the 6 weeks,  or does he hand in his resignation on medical grounds at the beginning and then the 6 weeks starts from then? Does his employer pay for the 6 weeks? Just trying to get everything clear in my head, thank you.

52 minutes ago, krankenwagen said:

I was just wondering, if my husband resigns on medical grounds, does the doctor sign him off for 6 weeks and then he hands in his resignation at the end of the 6 weeks

That's it.

52 minutes ago, krankenwagen said:

Does his employer pay for the 6 weeks?

Yes, his employer will pay your husband his full salary during these 6 weeks, if this is a "new" illness.

But I would then expect that your husband will not even need to hand in his resignation at the end of the 6 weeks, since - if I read the signs correctly - his employer will simply fire him during his sick leave:

21 hours ago, krankenwagen said:

My husband's work did offer him a development meeting which seemed to go well but they have since started to put on a lot more pressure and suggested they won't renew his contract due to his sickness time,

16 minutes ago, krankenwagen said:

I was just wondering, if my husband resigns on medical grounds, does the doctor sign him off for 6 weeks and then he hands in his resignation at the end of the 6 weeks,  or does he hand in his resignation on medical grounds at the beginning and then the 6 weeks starts from then? Does his employer pay for the 6 weeks? Just trying to get everything clear in my head, thank you.

The employer only pays him until his employment ends or 6 weeks (if it's a new illness) whichever is shorter.  If he gets written off sick as of next Monday and resigns immediately with effective date end of November, the employer has to pay him 6 weeks through the 3rd week of Nov. and then the kasse would take over and pay him 75-80%.  

@PandaMunich ok I think I understand but his contract doesn't finish until end of February, so am I right in thinking technically if he doesn't resign beforehand they could expect him to come back after the 2 months of originally planned Elternzeit to work out that last month, unless his doctor also signs him off for that time as well? 

@LeonG Thank you - so if his notice period is only a month, then he should wait until a month before his sick leave finishes to hand in his notice?

Thanks both for your advice!

14 minutes ago, krankenwagen said:

but his contract doesn't finish until end of February, so am I right in thinking technically if he doesn't resign beforehand they could expect him to come back after the 2 months of originally planned Elternzeit to work out that last month, unless his doctor also signs him off for that time as well? 

Yes, of course.

But I think they will fire him before that happens, they won't risk paying for a third sick leave.

8 minutes ago, krankenwagen said:

@LeonG Thank you - so if his notice period is only a month, then he should wait until a month before his sick leave finishes to hand in his notice?

Thanks both for your advice!

His resignation period could be a month until the end of the month or 4 weeks until the end or 15th of the month or something else depending on his contract and how long he was there for.  If he wants to time it exactly so that his employer pays him the 6 weeks and his employment then ends, he could for example get his sick note starting Oct. 20th and give his notice at some point in October so that his last day is Nov. 30th.  However, if he's stressed and doesn't want to wait to go on sick leave, health is more important that worrying about a few days that the kasse will take over.

@LeonG Yes this is what I was thinking. He only has 2.5 weeks of fully paid sick pay left for the stress/depression issue and if he goes to the doctor early next week then those 2.5 weeks would take him up to the end of October and the baby will be born by mid November so it would only be 2 or 3 weeks on the krankenkasse amount. Do you (or 
@PandaMunich ) know if they count the 12 months previous salary for Elterngeld from the last full month of salary (so October in this case), or from the date of the baby's birth/elterngeld application (in this case taking into account the approx 2 or 3 weeks on krankenkasse). I don't think the 2/3weeks would make a huge difference, but I would like to understand how it all works. Thanks

46 minutes ago, krankenwagen said:

if they count the 12 months previous salary for Elterngeld from the last full month of salary (so October in this case), or from the date of the baby's birth/elterngeld application (in this case taking into account the approx 2 or 3 weeks on krankenkasse).

The answer is in §2b (1) BEEG: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/beeg/__2b.html

• § 2b Assessment period
    (1) The twelve calendar months prior to the calendar month of the child's birth shall be decisive for determining the income from employment within the meaning of § 2c prior to the birth. 

So if the baby is born in November 2021, they will base his Elterngeld on his salary between November 2020 and October 2021.

If the baby is born a bit late (which isn't unheard of in a first pregnancy) in December 2021, they will base his Elterngeld on his salary between December 2020 and November 2021, in which case his Elterngeld would be a bit lower because the Krankengeld in November 2021 doesn't count as salary.