Changing from public to private health insurance

11 posts in this topic

I tried but not succefully, the person from krankenkasse told it is doable only at the year end

any chance of changing monthly bases?

Generally is it a good idea?

10 hours ago, alien7 said:

I tried but not succefully, the person from krankenkasse told it is doable only at the year end

any chance of changing monthly bases?

Generally is it a good idea?

at what point you can change to PKV depends on your personal circumstances. 
Here's how the switch works

https://www.pkv.de/wissen/private-krankenversicherung/versicherungsbeginn/#c1150

I personally think switching from GKV to PKV is a good plan only for very specific situations: young, single, self-employed and/or high income.

57 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

switching from GKV to PKV is a good plan only for very specific situations: young, single, self-employed and/or high income.

Make sure that after switching you remain young. If you age you will pay more.

2 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Make sure that after switching you remain young. If you age you will pay more.

when person ages and if it becomes more expensive they can change back to public insurance, right?

1 hour ago, alien7 said:

when person ages and if it becomes more expensive they can change back to public insurance, right?

not so easy. If you're under 55, an employee (not self-employed), and make less than the Versicherungspflichtgrenze, it's relatively easy. Otherwise you might be toast.

1 hour ago, alien7 said:

when person ages and it definately becomes more expensive they can change back to public insurance, right?

FTFY

Ans:

No, you have to fulfil several criteria (as @karin_brenig) mentions.

What if in the next 10yrs you have kids, as they get their own policy with fee - 

not covered as a family in GKV.

Talk to @john g.  or similarly serious insurance advisor.

It's a life changing decision  - not to be taken lightly!

58 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

FTFY

Ans:

No, you have to fulfil several criteria (as @karin_brenig) mentions.

What if in the next 10yrs you have kids, as they get their own policy with fee - 

not covered as a family in GKV.

Talk to @john g.  or similarly serious insurance advisor.

It's a life changing decision  - not to be taken lightly!

why is it life changing decision?

should be not so difficult to switch back to public insurance, for example when changing work e.g accepting offer which pays under the limit, or when becoming jobless

I had private insurance for 2 years when I was self employed and it saved quite some good amount of money

then I started permanent employment and changed back to public

also person can move out (abmelden) any time from Germany, i.e stop insurance for some time and then come back and start from public insurance

Just now, murphaph said:

You seem to know all the answers already...so why the question in the first place? Google fodder.

no actually what I do not know is if person stays employed for same employer he may be not allowed to change back to public insurance, or changing job which pays above the limit

20 hours ago, alien7 said:

also person can move out (abmelden) any time from Germany, i.e stop insurance for some time and then come back and start from public insurance

Hmm.

Try doing that with a mortgage, 2 kids in school, a dependent partner who has living parents in Germany in care...

Yes, I agree one can leave and restart. It's just a whole lot easier to think it through first.