What's the issue with dual nationality?

317 posts in this topic

Reminds me of when the Latter Day Saints (aka Mormons on a mission) knocked on my door and tried to proselytize me in German with heavy American accents.

I gave them a very loud and very hard time in English with *my* broadest regional American accent, and told them to go away and stay away. ;)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always found them kind of cute.   With their smart little suits and all.  I find them intriguing, and tell them so. and generally switch the conversation about who they are and what they are doing in Germany.   Not bad people.   But get flumoxxed when you do this.  They have stopped visiting for some reason.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Metall said:

Reminds me of when the Latter Day Saints (aka Mormons on a mission) knocked on my door and tried to proselytize me in German with heavy American accents.

I gave them a very loud and very hard time in English with *my* broadest regional American accent, and told them to go away and stay away. ;)

 

I was on a tram in Mannheim the first time I encountered these doofuses. I looked these guys straight in the eye and asked them exactly what they thought they were going to tell Germans about Christianity. I asked them if they knew how many religious holidays were enshrined in public calendars and if they saw the number of churches around them that are sustained by paying members. They didn't want to explain to me their founder's nonsense because it was obvious that I was having none of it.

 

Sit your dumb ass at home with that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/11/2021, 14:42:53, Metall said:

But none of this is about *dual* citizenship...

:lol:

 

Pardon me. Just could not resist.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mormons missionaries are harmless. And as much as I don't like those that worship a sky monster, they are, invariably, polite. 

Interesting fact: due to their obligation to do a mission abroad, Salt Lake City is full of multilingual folks (albeit, in their weird underwear). International, without all those pesky foreigners. 

I once played basketball with some of them in NZ years ago and when they told me they were on a mission I could not help but play Elwood Blues and ask, 'from God?' to which they politely said yes. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On balance dual nationality has to be good if you want feel part of and want to participate in the society in which you are living. 

Losing my British nationality has stopped me up to now, but if that's no longer an issue, I'd probably go ahead and do the deed. 

 

At the same time, you need to be aware that having a second nationality has implications for things like taxation, inheritance or even military service, were it to be re-introduced. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexunterwegs said:

Losing my British nationality has stopped me up to now, but if that's no longer an issue, I'd probably go ahead and do the deed. 

 

But pretty much "until now" you would not have lost UK citizenship.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

But pretty much "until now" you would not have lost UK citizenship.

Unless the poster had already applied before the cut off date!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, snowingagain said:

But pretty much "until now" you would not have lost UK citizenship.

 

Only if you'd been living in Germany for 8 years by the time of Brexit. Otherwise you lose the right for dual nationality. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Only if you'd been living in Germany for 8 years by the time of Brexit. Otherwise you lose the right for dual nationality. 

That explains it of course.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/09/2021, 18:33:11, jeba said:

Because I don´t want people with different backgrounds, norms and values (as compared to the locals) to be able to vote. 

 

yeah, don't want too many polite, compassionate, friendly-to-stranger types and/or independent thinkers in this here rigid and unwelcoming self-declared christian country.

 

no thanks!

 

pigness is the way!

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, claudeyc said:

 

yeah, don't want too many polite, compassionate, friendly-to-stranger types and/or independent thinkers in this here rigid and unwelcoming self-declared christian country.

 

no thanks!

 

pigness is the way!

 

Haha, welcome to jeba.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, claudeyc said:

 

yeah, don't want too many polite, compassionate, friendly-to-stranger types and/or independent thinkers in this here rigid and unwelcoming self-declared christian country.

 

no thanks!

 

pigness is the way!

 

Firstly, I'm atheist and secondly you don't seem to be a convincing role model for the politeness you're talking about.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jeba said:

Firstly, I'm atheist and secondly you don't seem to be a convincing role model for the politeness you're talking about.

 

clearly nothing goes over your head (or you would catch it) ..

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now