What's the issue with dual nationality?

271 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Why would a skilled immigrant "prove loyalty" to Germany if they can go to the country without such ridiculous requirements. 

Because there are good jobs with a good work-life balance available?

6 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

jeba's opinion is not rare or novel. It's likely his opinion is held by the majority in most countries.

Sure you'll find people in every country that would prefer no immigrants or if at all immigrants are a necessary evil they should be white and christian, preferably like Norwegians or similar (bulletin, Norwegians are doing fine and not generally interested in taking anybody elses minimum wage jobs).

However, I don't think this is generally the opinion of the majority.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

I doubt that many will be concerned about dual citizenship and voting rights, which is my pet peeve. I guess there will be many more who feel more threatened by the side effects of immigration, such as those on the rental market, the healthcare system, crime rate or competition.

While I´m aware of and concerned about these thing as well, I´m at least also aware of that there are benefits going hand in hand with immigration. Provided it´s the right kind of immigration (skilled people willing to accept our norms, not economic refugees without marketable skills).

And what have you personally contributed to Cypriot society as one of these skilled immigrants as you´ve admitted that you´re there because care for your mother is cheaper?

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

And what have you personally contributed to Cypriot society as one of these skilled immigrants as you´ve admitted that you´re there because care for your mother is cheaper?

For a start I paid VAT for the building plot I bought last month. And I'll also have to pay VAT for the house I'm going to have built, I'm afraid.

This thread made me curious- so I have just googled Greece and dual nationality rights. Accepted!

https://www.dualcitizenship.com/free-consultation/greece.html

Mind you, if you're not married to a Greek or have a Greek parent, and want to become a naturalised Greek, you have to be legally resident for at least 10 years and have a fairly clean slate crime-wise... plus show knowledge of Greek culture, history and the language. 

The latter is a new requirement:

https://golearngreek.com/greece/greek-citizenship-test/

I was again curious--- in Cyprus, the more money you have , the easier to become a citizen.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/eu-golden-visas/cyprus-golden-visa/

1 hour ago, john g. said:

I was again curious--- in Cyprus, the more money you have the easier to become a citizen.

Citizenship by bribe (politically correct term is "investment") exists in many European countries, mostly southern but also in Austria.

In Austria dual citizenship is banned, but it is not if you have 3 million euro. In Cyprus it is 2 million, but the program is currently suspended. In Malta less than 1 million is enough.

4 hours ago, LeonG said:

Sure you'll find people in every country that would prefer no immigrants or if at all immigrants are a necessary evil they should be white and christian, preferably like Norwegians or similar (bulletin, Norwegians are doing fine and not generally interested in taking anybody elses minimum wage jobs).

However, I don't think this is generally the opinion of the majority.

Though I understand your point, it is eurocentric. I remember someone making a point somewhere many years ago in Britain that xenophobic males might change their minds if 10,000 Swedish ( female ) nurses came to the country! So there we agree!

But I don't think the  " white, Christian " argument works in eg Japan re Koreans. Just an example.

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

Citizenship by bribe (politically correct term is "investment") exists in many European countries, mostly southern but also in Austria.

Canada also had an investor program for many years.  Now as far as I know they have discontinued the federal investor program but there are still provincial programs available.  Those would get you permanent residency and then you can apply for citizenship after 3 years.

8 hours ago, john g. said:

I was again curious--- in Cyprus, the more money you have , the easier to become a citizen.

That´s probably the case in most countries. In some Caribean islands (which have useful passports, as far as visa-free travel is concerned) US$ 100,000 are already enough. AFAIR the Cypriot program allowing citizenship by investment has been suspended a few months ago after an investigative journalist, posing as a rich potential investor with a criminal history,  published recording of a conversation with a high-ranking politician during which he was promised that his crime record could be ignored (I don´t remember for what return service).

On 10/6/2021, 11:57:32, LeonG said:

Canada also had an investor program for many years.  Now as far as I know they have discontinued the federal investor program but there are still provincial programs available.  Those would get you permanent residency and then you can apply for citizenship after 3 years.

Well, this program at least requires 3 years of residency. The programs in Europe allows one to get a passport without living even one day in the country (like citizenship by descent, but you buy the ancestorship).