What's the issue with dual nationality?

317 posts in this topic

On 30.9.2021, 15:40:19, kaffeemitmilch said:

If I understand correctly, naturalization should not be allowed. Does that sum it up?

No, it doesn´t. But dual citizenship shouldn´t be allowed (with few exceptions) and naturalization should be made more difficult.

On 30.9.2021, 15:44:09, kaffeemitmilch said:

Eh, this is hardly surprising. Immigrants who benefit from their ability to immigrate sometimes tend to want to raise the drawbridge once they've crossed it.

Draw up the drawbridge in the country they left or they moved to??

On 30.9.2021, 19:00:44, Keleth said:

If you had so much loyalty to 1 country that it may affect you if you hold duel nationality then why would you move to another country let alone get citizenship of that country.

Because here private caregiving is affordable and my mother, who moved with me,  didn´t want to go to a nursing home.

13 hours ago, john g. said:

That may be so in this case but would you imply voting for a Centre Left or Left or Liberal Government makes a citizen of a country disloyal? 

I think he means by voting conservative that he´s right wing and let´s just say the right wing would be more appropriate to for his "views".

On 30.9.2021, 19:12:03, pappnase said:

Get thee to the ignore file.

I don´t know how I can live with that. But I´ll try.

On 1.10.2021, 08:47:27, engelchen said:

Well fuck you, you racist piece of shit.

Again: what does race have to do with it? Apart from that not very convincing argument: you can count your lucky stars that I´m too lazy to sue you for libel.

3 minutes ago, jeba said:

Again: what does race have to do with it? Apart from that not very convincing argument: you can count your lucky stars that I´m too lazy to sue you for libel.

If you did you´d lose when they look at your past posting history and your "I´m not racist...but" views.

22 hours ago, fraufruit said:

How do you know he isn't on one already?

Because I repeatedly said that I´ve always voted FDP (even though this time I had to hold my nose and look the other way)?

34 minutes ago, jeba said:

No, it doesn´t. But dual citizenship shouldn´t be allowed (with few exceptions) and naturalization should be made more difficult.

I strongly disagree with that. My mind set but also because I grew up in a country with a different history and in which it is perfectly normal for many to hold more than one citizenship. I never batted an eyelid at it.

Going back to dual nationality, I left the US when I was almost 50.  I don't want dual nationality.  To be honest, I'm not sure I could vote in German elections honestly.  By that, I mean that I'm not sure I could vote for what is best for Germany without thinking about what is also best for the US at the same time.
Having married a German at the advanced old age of almost 51, I would like to have a permanent Aufenthaltstitel without having to renew every 5 years.  Sadly, I will never be able to pass a B1 test.  Between my age and what was a minor, insignificant problem back home*, I can't get beyond A2 German.  I probably couldn't even pass the A2 test, even though my practical German is A2.  So there I'll be in another 20 years, 81 years old, having been in Germany for 30 years, going in to renew my stupid temporary Aufenthaltstitel.

*some kind of processing disorder, the kind that makes me hear song lyrics all wrong, like "I can see clearly now the rain is gone.  I can see all popsicles in my way."  Or when a song called "Perfect Heartbreak" was on the radio, I swear, I heard "tangerine heartbreak."  Loud places are awful for me, because I can't pick out a single voice, but it was never a problem in school.  Trying to pick out words when people are speaking to me in German?  Almost impossible, even after 10 years.  I'm not stupid.  And I work at it.  It's like asking a person with no legs to do the high jump.  I can only sort of bounce. :wacko:

Just a point- you can vote in local elections as an EU citizen, without being German. Pre Brexit- I received my local voting cards here. So, Jeba would cancel that as well?!

@Storydale

Thought of taking lessons? I think it might be worth a try. I got b1 with 97% to get German citizenship, but I am better than that.

Retired now, I am wondering about taking German lessons although there is no 'need' to.

5 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

@Storydale

Thought of taking lessons? I think it might be worth a try. I got b1 with 97% to get German citizenship, but I am better than that.

Retired now, I am wondering about taking German lessons although there is no 'need' to.

I’ve taken all kinds of lessons. Groups lessons, work with tandems, YouTube, private lessons (had a truly great teacher in München who got me further along than anyone else in less time), and now I meet weekly with a group of women, half of us Ausländer, half German, that’s for language learning. I just can’t hear it right.  Well enough to get by most of the time but I couldn’t pass the B1 test. 

18 hours ago, Storydale said:

To be honest, I'm not sure I could vote in German elections honestly.  By that, I mean that I'm not sure I could vote for what is best for Germany without thinking about what is also best for the US at the same time.

That is exactly my point.

5 hours ago, jeba said:

That is exactly my point.

And I am sure that there are many German citizens who do not really know which way to vote as well.

But if you are granted citizenship anywhere ( more or less ), then you get right to vote, even if know nothing

What I find strange is that you are against the most educated and German loving foreigner having the vote, while you think its ok, for an un-educated German bum, who could have some very strange views about most things, including hating Germany, has the right to vote, just because he/she was born in Germany. 

17 minutes ago, yesterday said:

while you think its ok, for an un-educated German bum, who could have some very strange views about most things, including hating Germany, has the right to vote, just because he/she was born in Germany. 

What makes you think that I think that´s ok for me? It´s bad enough that those have a vote, you don´t have to increase the problem by giving even more people the right to vote who may have stronger feelings of loyalty towards a different (i.e.their home) country (which is completely understandable to me as I´m one of them).

If bojo gets his way, I and many others will be able to vote over here AND over there.

Perhaps I am an exemplary dual citizen, for I love both countries of which I am a citizen. Perhaps I love Germany a bit more %)

30 minutes ago, yesterday said:

What I find strange is that you are against the most educated and German loving foreigner having the vote, while you think its ok, for an un-educated German bum, who could have some very strange views about most things, including hating Germany, has the right to vote, just because he/she was born in Germany. 

I never said what was okay and what wasn't okay.  I said I wasn't sure that I myself could give an honest vote to Germany because I love my native country more than Germany.  I lived there for 50 years and here for only 10.  I am still here because I married a German.  Otherwise, I would probably have gone back to the US after working in an international school for a few years.  However, the fact remains that the uneducated, German bum has the right to vote in his native country while I do not.  Because I do not, Germany should have the right to question my loyalty if they wanted to if I ever applied for citizenship.  Of course, we could change voting rights to include things like education levels, holding a job, and while we're at it, land ownership and other requirements.  Couldn't we?

On 2.10.2021, 09:06:51, jeba said:

I disagree.

Why do you think this? What is your reason?

Naturalization is also not easy to attain. I would really like to know why you are so against dual nationality.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

It´s bad enough that those have a vote

Fucking hell you really do believe in the master race don´t you.

Voting is 1 of the basic human rights in a democracy.

The only people I believe shouldn´t be able to vote are serving prisoners.

10 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Fucking hell you really do believe in the master race don´t you.

Problem is that those I was talking about are also part of the "master race".