Aschaffenburg 1945

4 posts in this topic

I'm researching a possible history tour, based on the actions of the US 45th (Thunderbird) Division and will likely be in the area next month.

I've got things like after-action reports and of course, the book by Kershaw but I wonder if anyone local can tell me whether this battle, which cost the lives of so many is covered in any depth in local museums? Can the scars still be seen in the city centre - like in Berlin - or is it hard to tell (well, apart from the new-builds being a give away?)

Thanks in advance,

Taff

I can only tell you, thanks to Quiz Duell, that Aschaffenburg was not named after a Bistum. now you know. 

or you could stop a Dachau where members of the 45th were accused of massacring German soldiers who were surrendering at the Dachau concentration camp in 1945. Some of the German troops were camp guards; the others were sick and wounded troops from a nearby hospital.

Or travel to Italy....  During and after the war, courts-martial were convened to investigate possible war crimes by members of the division. In the first two cases, dubbed the Biscari massacre, occurred on 14 July 1943, American troops from C Company, 180th Infantry Regiment, were alleged to have shot 74 Italian and two German prisoners in Acate following the capture of an airfield in the area. 

a well-rounded history tour.

i don't think German museums in general, or teaching of history in schools, has much military focus. Museums that cover the WW2 period typically focus most strongly on the injustice aspects and the victims. Ditto with TV documentaries and books. You have to go into the super specialized corners to find discussions pertaining to military regiments and such, whether they be German or Allied. 

In my experience, most Germans, outside of maybe the freakish corner, don't know much about the military aspects of WW2 and would struggle to name any significant regiments or generals of either side. And people who show too much interest are looked on with suspicion.