Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

claiming children as dependents or not?

5 posts in this topic

Did someone ask for an opinion?  I am always happy to share an opinion...

It's probably true that if you live somewhere like Germany and are filing your returns with the IRS that you probably don't wind up needing to pay much to the U.S. in taxes anyway and so it's probably not a big tax benefit to claim your U.S. citizen children on your U.S. tax return.   But, the idea of not claiming them so that they are not "exposed" to the IRS sounds bizarre to me.  Are they not planning to be Americans?  Get used to the IRS.  Yes, the U.S. wants to tax their global income.  Yes, they will need to file tax returns someday just like you need to now.  But not getting them a social security number and not claiming them on your tax return isn't going to change the fact that in the future if they want to be law abiding people they will need to file tax returns. 

Also, if you do not claim your children on your U.S. tax return, when the U.S. government starts handing out free money - as was the case 3 times in the last 18 months - they won't get any. 

On 9/15/2021, 10:06:18, berliner2007 said:

I made my earlier comment (above) without having read the article, just responding to the concept.  I have now read the article.  And with the caveat that I am not a tax or immigration lawyer or CPA, that article strikes me as bat stuff crazy.

49 minutes ago, DoubleDTown said:

I made my earlier comment (above) without having read the article, just responding to the concept.  I have now read the article.  And with the caveat that I am not a tax or immigration lawyer or CPA, that article strikes me as bat stuff crazy.

Wow, just read the article and agree with DoubleDTown. Not good advice there. Claiming or not claiming your children on your US taxes has no impact on whether they are citizens, from what I understand. Unless you naturalized in the US after having the kids (but without them, which would be strange), and you otherwise fit the jus sanguinis criteria, their citizenship status is already determined. Doesn’t matter if you haven’t “claimed” it for them i.e. by CRBA, social security, passport, etc.

So long as one is a US citizen, one must file US tax returns for life (usually from adulthood, depending on income and IRS requirements). One must also enter the US with a US passport. There can be some major penalties for not following the rules and getting caught. “Exposing” someone to the IRS is kind of like not registering to vote thinking your state won’t find you for jury duty… they will, they have other databases, it just takes time.