Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Permit for modifying garden

10 posts in this topic

Hello Toytown,

There is a small front garden in front of my house, and I want to lay few tiles there to place the waste bins. It will be around 1,5 sq m. Whole property is around 200 sqm with built up area of 75 m2 on it.   Do I need to apply for a permit to lay those tiles ?. Any help is appreciated

Thanks 

Jj

It sounds like you are just making cosmetic changes to your garden and not building anything, so it doesn't inherently seem as something which would require a permit.

For info, you can take a look at para 62 of the NRW BauOrdnung, which lists the buildings which do NOT require a permit:

SGV § 62 (Fn 15) Verfahrensfreie Bauvorhaben, Beseitigung von Anlagen | RECHT.NRW.DE

From what you have described, at most, placing some tiles would be a form of "Aufschuetterung"  covered by sub-para 9, and given you wouldn't want them to be over 2 meters high, under 2 meters deep or cover an area of over 400 square meters, you should be good to go.

If you are still unsure, call your local Bauamt and ask them. In my experience, they are surprisingly helpful.

It's unlikely anyone will say anything for such a small area but I don't know how your neighbours are. 

For every Grundstück there's a limit (percent) of the plot size that may be built on (house footprint+paving of driveway+patio+...). You'd need an exception to exceed this from the Bauaufsicht des Landkreises/der Stadt - they can also confirm what the max percent is for your plot.

Thank you all for your advices. I will contact the bauamt to be sure. 

@MikeMelga i got a letter from the mayor , praising the goodness of having a green garden, and also some financial subsidies incase i want to hire a Gardner for maintenance or something like that. But didn't say that steingarten is illegal. Personally I hate it, looks very ugly to me

8 hours ago, Krieg said:

1,5 m2, just go ahead.  Probably you just need a few "Betonplatten" from any Baumarkt.

I think if you make it "temporary", i.e. something easy to remove, there is no issue. It's like the wood/metal garden houses. They are not permanent.

I too would say that your plan to lay a small area of slabs should be ok without permission. Unless, you are removing a well developed tree maybe? Could be worth generally checking with your Gemeinde if there are any regulations regarding the removal of any greenery. I believe that new stone gardens are not allowed in some areas though a few slabs are probably fine.