Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Epoxy paving joint morter

3 posts in this topic

Hello you handy people!

I've just had the block (brick) paving around our house professionally cleaned. Weeds are a chronic problem and that 'Dansand' sand that is sold in the Baumarkts to inhibit weed growth is useless, I found. The cleaning company recommended using epoxy sand (Kunstharzmörtel) but their price for the job was huge and I wanted to investigate the technique anyway. I read up on pros and cons and am satisfied that it's a straightforward method that suits the purpose.

I wrote to two suppliers, GFTK who make vdw products, and Romex, to double check which is the exact product for the specific job. (It depends on joint size and usage.) Neither has yet replied after several days.

Was wondering if anyone on here who has experience knows of other suppliers? It's not available from the normal Baumarkts, as far as I can see.

Cheers.

I hate pulling grass and weeds from between the blocks around my house and don't want to permanently seal the joints, so I use a low-tech solution that works well for about three to four months at a time.  I buy the least expensive strong Essigessenz from Rewe.  It's about €0.59 for a 400g bottle of 25-percent Essig and I buy a dozen or so bottles at a time.  I prefer the Essigessenz to the commercial herbicides because we have at least five hedgehogs that visit every night.

I pour three or four bottles of the Essigessenz into an inexpensive 1-liter pump sprayer that I bought from Toom.  Add one heaping tablespoon of salt for each bottle and a healthy squirt of liquid soap to the sprayer.  The soap acts as a surfactant and allows the liquid to remain on the leaves so it can be absorbed and transferred to the roots and the salt remains in the soil to provide some delay in future growth.

I adjust the nozzle on the sprayer to a fine stream and use low pressure to saturate the affected area.  Be careful about where you spray, as it will kill nearly all vegetation it contacts.  The weeds and grass will die in a day or two, with results noticeable in the first couple of hours.  As soon as the vegetation is dead, I easily pull it from between the stones and don't have to worry about it for a while. 

Thank you, I have used vinegar before but not such a thorough technique. I have 200 sq m to do and am sick to death of the battle. I've had enough of trying this and that -  even a flame thrower. All these methods don't prevent regrowth and still require gouging out whatever residue is left. Backbreaking. I want permanent!!