Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

started a new job and have not much to do

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

after i finished my Ausbildung, i took a 6 months break before finding a new job. I got like quite a few offers and decided to start at an audit company with a tax department. My job would be doing accounting, filling out tax reports and help out where it is tight. I have been here since end of July, but i feel like the work is pretty slow. In the interview i was told, there is alot of work to be done, but by the look of it , it seems not to be true. I have week where i just have little work and there are weeks i need to stay abit longer. Mostly because the clients are new and i need to get used to their system. I have been asking around, but either they have no work or have no time for me. This is geting super frustrating because im eager to learn and trying to improve myself.

There is this woman, who supposes to train me, but she always says she has no time. But to be honest ,she only doesnt have time FOR ME, because she still has alot of time having good laughs with her coworker. Beside, i wouldnt mind if she just gives me work without any explanation. I can still try to figure it out on my own, but she gives me nothing. Soon there will be another one starting . They already told me this in my interview ,so this isnt a suprise. But little back then did i known that there is not much work. Im not sure what should i do? Wait it out abit, or just look somewhere else. Because i dont want to get fired if they have too little work to do. It will put a hole in my Resume if i dont manage to pass Probezeit

Any input is welcomed ! Thanks. 

You have only been there a fewer weeks, you will probably be working for decades so the horizon is short. I think you should keep quiet to avoid possible negative attention, get to know people from other departments in the breaks or when getting tea/coffee, read Fachliteratur, books about the work, if you have such things.

I had several jobs, in Germany and elsewhere, where there was not much to do. Quite normal.

Read one article about relations with Arbeitskollegen, read the one word "Gruppenbildung", people form groups, spend a lot of time, many hours a week gossiping, nothing to do with work, very normal even in efficient Germany. I had some nice colleagues but experienced a lot of nastiness because of being different (white European, speak German well enough, but different, new).

I am so glad I am retired now.

15 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

You have only been there a fewer weeks, you will probably be working for decades so the horizon is short. I think you should keep quiet to avoid possible negative attention, get to know people from other departments in the breaks or when getting tea/coffee, read Fachliteratur, books about the work, if you have such things.

I had several jobs, in Germany and elsewhere, where there was not much to do. Quite normal.

Read one article about relations with Arbeitskollegen, read the one word "Gruppenbildung", people form groups, spend a lot of time, many hours a week gossiping, nothing to do with work, very normal even in efficient Germany. I had some nice colleagues but experienced a lot of nastiness because of being different (white European, speak German well enough, but different, new).

I am so glad I am retired now.

thanks for the input. Yes, i have been thinking about asking my boss directly but i dont want to be that person who always complains or having that problematic vibe

You started in the holiday season, so this is a quiet period anyway. You will be busy towards the end of the fiscal year and afterwards.

Even when I used to be a contractor receiving an exorbitant daily rate, 

I still had little to do during the first weeks of a new job

until the team realised I was there and could lessen their load.

It's normal in a new job.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

I bet you'll be snowed under and asking TT why you have to work 60hr weeks

on low pay before the year is out :blink:

Working for an audit company sounds seasonal to me.  you may be experiencing a lull in the workload.  maybe ask a co-worker if that's the case.

If you have be a quiet period, it should be a good time to research new tax laws or clients' previous audits? If they are new clients, research their company. 

Don't tell the boss you have nothing to do. Sends out all the wrong signals.

On 10/09/2021, 11:52:51, diding said:

There is this woman, who supposes to train me, but she always says she has no time.

Alarm, alarm, alarm. But watch and wait... for now. If after a while you find you continue to receive no training, speak to your superior, not the lady who is failing to show you the job and empower you.

Welcome to the reality of the unstructured (office) workplace, which differs from the well ordered and pre-programmed school-college-training environment. Some people are lazy, they surf (in all senses of the word), they dodge, they delegate, they are avoidant, they hide their weaknesses behind a wall of silence. People who have no clue what they are doing themselves, are of course reluctant to show someone else what they should be doing. Been there (on the receiving end.) This is not stuff they teach you at school.

On 10/09/2021, 15:33:57, HH_Sailor said:

... until the team realised I was there and could lessen their load.

Logically this should be the case, but some people spend much energy covering up their failings and perceive able newcomers as a threat to their cover. Weird, I know. But I came across so many dysfunctional people in German offices.

33 minutes ago, optimista said:

Logically this should be the case, but some people spend much energy covering up their failings and perceive able newcomers as a threat to their cover. Weird, I know. But I came across so many dysfunctional people in German offices.

Dysfunctional, strange, sometimes just nasty.. so did I, sometimes I wondered who was the misfit, me or they?

Met lots of nice people since retiring.

"No new taxes!", said a politician in the US. I think he meant "no, new taxeees!". Could get interesting after the Bundestagswahl, there might be new and different taxes.

I put a lot of it down to The War. Seriously. The people you worked with were raised by fathers who had been raised in the Hitler Jugend and mothers who had been raped in war. This must have a knock-on effect somehow down the generations. I never came across so many obviously disturbed women as in German offices. I had less to do with men.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

I put a lot of it down to The War. Seriously. The people you worked with were raised by fathers who had been raised in the Hitler Jugend and mothers who had been raped in war. This must have a knock-on effect somehow down the generations. I never came across so many obviously disturbed women as in German offices. I had less to do with men.

german women are just ... in general. I purposedly took this job because the haft of the work place are men. But sadly , didnt dodge any bullet

Sometimes, the managers are overworked and to train a new joinee / intern is an additional workload. I would go along with all here who are asking you to take it easy and use this time to learn more and find the work flow in the organisation.

I myself had been guilty of ignoring the team assistant or intern with me in the initial weeks. I would give them some minor tasks, but would get stressed when i would see them back at my desk sooner than later. The reason in hindsight was that the kind of knowledge, experience needed to handle the task / project was not there with the new joinee but they were full of energy and had a gung-ho spirit. But over some time, more and more overflow work kept going their way and 6 months down the line, they were ready with the standard work overload whining :P