Is a house seller (or sellers agent) required to give us a Verkehrswert if available?

9 posts in this topic

We are looking at a specific house available for sale. If the seller or seller's agent has a Verkehrswert, are the obligated to give us a copy upon our request? if not, what are the odds of them giving us a copy?

I doubt it. 

And in the current real estate market, any Verkehrswertgutachten will not say much about the actual Kaufpreis (sales price) that can be achieved with a property. That is wholly dependend on what the market is willing to pay. 

However, they are obligated to inform you about any serious issues the property has that might lower the value, e.g.

Mould 
Water damage
Dampness in the cellar
House longhorn(?) infestation in the attic
Contaminated sites (for example, a buried oil tank in the garden)
Dry rot 
Concealed cracks in the plaster or house wall
Vermin 
Wood preservatives and other environmental toxins
Asbestos 

22 minutes ago, maxie said:

I doubt it. 

And in the current real estate market, any Verkehrswertgutachten will not say much about the actual Kaufpreis (sales price) that can be achieved with a property. That is wholly dependend on what the market is willing to pay. 

However, they are obligated to inform you about any serious issues the property has that might lower the value, e.g.

Mould 
Water damage
Dampness in the cellar
House longhorn(?) infestation in the attic
Contaminated sites (for example, a buried oil tank in the garden)
Dry rot 
Concealed cracks in the plaster or house wall
Vermin 
Wood preservatives and other environmental toxins
Asbestos 

Thanks for the response. 

Out of curiosity, if the seller did not inform us of a problem - what can we do about it? 

I have specifically asked about much of this, and gotten positive answers. But if we buy the house, and find problems that remained undisclosed (but legally should have been disclosed) what recourse does this leave us? Do we have to sue them for the cost of fixing the issue? Is the house sale void? What is realistically possible?

5 minutes ago, burningkrome said:

Thanks for the response. 

Out of curiosity, if the seller did not inform us of a problem - what can we do about it? 

I have specifically asked about much of this, and gotten positive answers. But if we buy the house, and find problems that remained undisclosed (but legally should have been disclosed) what recourse does this leave us? Do we have to sue them for the cost of fixing the issue? Is the house sale void? What is realistically possible?

I have a colleague who found a big wet spot in his cellar covered by some object, after he moved in. It's been over five years and he's still figthing the previous owner for the repair value (around €50,000).. Big headache all around, best to avoid. 

And no, we're in a capitalistic society, no one is forced to inform you on the  Verkehrswert of a house they want to sell - you can on the other hand do your own homework.

Just now, mtbiking said:

I have a colleague who found a big wet spot in his cellar covered by some object, after he moved in. It's been over five years and he's still figthing the previous owner for the repair value (around €50,000).. Big headache all around, best to avoid. 

And no, we're in a capitalistic society, no one is forced to inform you on the  Verkehrswert of a house they want to sell - you can on the other hand do your own homework.

Thanks for the reply. I agree fully with doing my own homework. I've gotten an idea of the price-per-meter-sq for the living space from https://www.homeday.de/de/preisatlas. I've also looked up the land value per sq meter from Jan 2020 (latest I could find.) 

What other options are there for getting an idea of the house/land value. Can you recommend sites or things to google for?

your problem at this time - currently a real hot sellers' market - is not finding the "real" value of a house, but beating other interested buyers in the race. 

The asking price may be over the Verkehrswert, or it may be right on target - chances are that the seller will get what they want, and then some. 

Of course this totally depends on your personal goal. Do you want to simply get a feel for the market? Or do you want to buy investment property? Or do you plan on buying your own future home?

In buying for yourself, you have to picture your future needs/wants. Is the location your favorite spot? Then Verkehrswert is rather unimportant - unless you believe the asking price is blown way out of proportion.

The land value would be the Bodenrichtwert 

I forgot where exactly you are, but here's Rheinland-Pfalz:  Geoportal RLP scroll down, click on "Bodenrichtwerte (Basisdienst)" It shows you plots with their number (Liegenschaften) and the value of the land. Mind you, they are usually a few years behind, but might be a good starting point. 

I can't find a national site, but other Bundesländer should have something similar.