Windows 11

25 posts in this topic

I bought a new laptop with Window 11 installed on. When I turned it on for the first time it took almost an hour for the display to show anything. Repeatedly shutting it down and starting up resulted in start-up times of around 12 -20 min. After having done this several times now it takes only less than a minute. Is this typical behaviour or should I not start using it and rather return it as being defective?

Sounds about right for a first time setup. Just be mindful that depending on your PC it will have loaded all sorts of bloatware and crap that will need updating every few days.

42 minutes ago, slammer said:

Sounds about right for a first time setup. 

Is it really a setup if do nothing but pushing the power button, wait for the display to show the shutdown button and shut it down without even having established an Internet connection or clicked anywhere? Rinse and repeat.

Sorry for asking dumb questions but I'm a relict of analogue ages.

4 hours ago, jeba said:

I bought a new laptop with Window 11 installed on

Really? That's kind of big news. Windows 11 shouldn't be released yet.

If you got it pre-installed from a reputable site then the tech press will want to know, if you got it from some dodgy bloke in downtown Cypress then take it back and get a refund.

Your description of the "out of box" experience doesn't sound great, but it's fairly normal for a new windows install to spend a bit of time installing drivers and configuring itself for new hardware when you first get it.

The timescales you describe are all wrong though none of the setup activities should take 20 minutes unless it is accessing the internet and the internet is SLOW, and a modern laptop (with the right HW spec for windows 11) should go from cold to logged-in in less than 30 seconds. (Mine takes between 18 and to 20 seconds).

Edit to link to release info for Windows 11

As I'm currently in Germany I bought this one: https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/hyptech-ic-budget-notebook-mit-156-zoll-displa-85092567.html

2 hours ago, pappnase said:

Really? That's kind of big news. Windows 11 shouldn't be released yet.

If you got it pre-installed from a reputable site then the tech press will want to know, if you got it from some dodgy bloke in downtown Cypress then take it back and get a refund.

6 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

It mentions the Operating System as Win10:

Betriebssystem -  Windows 10 Pro

The description mentions Windows 11, the technical data specifies Windows 10 Pro. Fishy. I would take it back for a refund. Insiders apparently have access to the beta version of Win11.

6 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

It mentions the Operating System as Win10:

Betriebssystem -  Windows 10 Pro

Not what I see:

Windows 11 Pro und das Microsoft-Office-Paket Ihrer Wahl sind vorinstalliert.

edit:

You're right, conflicting info. A little further down:

Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016 Home & Student

Windows 11? I only upgraded the windows 10 about 2 years ago. I've been meaning to do a clean install but if 11 is around the corner I think I'll wait.

I wouldn't hurt I guess to take it all back to the shop and ask.

You know the drill, go in, wait next to a shelf, look up and watch all the staff vanish before your eyes*.

Ok, that#s a little unfair, they are way better than that, they will have already gone before you look up, very well trained they are. 

*Or go to the info/customer service desk...

Yeah, it seems to be a bit all over the place

"Windows 11 Pro und das Microsoft-Office-Paket Ihrer Wahl sind vorinstalliert"

"Laptops von HypTech schöpfen das Potenzial von Windows 10 Pro optimal aus"

"Betriebssystem    Windows 10 Pro"

If it is now starting up quicker and you are happy with it you can stick with it but, if not, take it back. It has a SSD drive so Windows should start very quickly and shouldn't really take more than 30 seconds to load.

9 hours ago, jeba said:

I bought a new laptop with Window 11 installed on. When I turned it on for the first time it took almost an hour for the display to show anything. Repeatedly shutting it down and starting up resulted in start-up times of around 12 -20 min. After having done this several times now it takes only less than a minute. Is this typical behaviour or should I not start using it and rather return it as being defective?

With that kind of hardware I would expect it to boot in about 15 to 20 seconds or less

The machine does not really jhave the best best spec's, but good enough as an internet machine

When I tried to start it on battery only it the display remained dark (except for the

Intel logo). So I sent it back.

23 hours ago, yesterday said:

The machine does not really jhave the best best spec's, but good enough as an internet machine

It's certainly better than it's 4 year old precursor, which was already good enough for me.

Trying to buy Windows 11 standalone... can't find it! Are standalone versions or OEM versions not allowed in Germany?

Every site, including M$, points to buying a new computer.

Anyone managed to get a copy of the PC Health Check app. that will confirm if your PC can upgrade to Win 11? Lots of non Microsoft links around and there is no way I will touch those, when I did find an MS link it just sits there forever without connecting!

5 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Anyone managed to get a copy of the PC Health Check app. that will confirm if your PC can upgrade to Win 11? Lots of non Microsoft links around and there is no way I will touch those, when I did find an MS link it just sits there forever without connecting!

Don't worry I found it.

Beware that at least some applications that run OK under Windows 10 may not run under Windows 11.

On the Adobe user forum its reported that Premiere photoshop (current version) does not run on Win11 & thus probably the

same applied to Premiere Elements - which is the video editting software that I use.

Just tried out the tool. The specs on the website are pretty low: 4GB RAM, 720p, 1GHz processor with 2 or more cores. But apparently my i7 5600 2.6GHz isn't good enough for Windows 11.

Not that I care ;-) 

11 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Thanks! But where can I buy the key? Or can I do it after installation, on MS store or something?

Buy a windows 10 key and use the 'free upgrade'?

This link should let you buy it direct from MS for 260 Euro 

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/d/windows-10-pro/df77x4d43rkt?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Or you can take your chances and get a copy from Amazon where prices seem to range from about 20 quid to about 200...

I know people who have bought at both ends and had no problem but I don't know if that will still apply when you come to upgrade.

Edit to add:-

If your machine is already licensed then 

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Run as administrator should get you your existing key, which you can then use for a clean install of Windows 11 on the same hardware.