UK citizen, German wife. Working from "home" in Germany post-Brexit

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have been working for a British company since moving back here a few years ago. With travel restrictions finally easing we wanted to head to Germany for a month so the German family can finally meet our new addition.

I am able to work fully remotely, but reading the summary of the post-Brexit rules it seems I am not allowed to do so from Germany?

Can anyone please tell me that I actually can, and point me to where I can prove it?

I have left this to the last minute and looks like I am about to ruin the family reunion.

Thanks.

You're technically not allowed to work here without a work visa, but if you're working remotely on your laptop (or whatever device) from your in-laws' home for a British company, I don't know how anyone would ever find out.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't mention it to the border guards if/when they ask you. You're just here on vacation/for a family reunion.

WHS. Though the definition of "work" isn't entirely clear. Meetings are allowed for example, and a further example I read said that you could attend a training course but you couldn't give a training course.

20 hours ago, Dembo said:

the definition of "work" isn't entirely clear

My HR department described it as 'something where we would have to hire a local to do it if we didn't pay you'.

OP's company isn't going to hire a German to do his job under any circumstances so I think he is probably in the clear here. (But I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice).

I think El Jeffo probably has it about right here, if a border guard mentions the reason for your stay, just say you are on vacation.

5 hours ago, pappnase said:

My HR department described it as 'something where we would have to hire a local to do it if we didn't pay you'.

OP's company isn't going to hire a German to do his job under any circumstances so I think he is probably in the clear here. (But I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice).

That's a bit dubious. Good explanations here:

https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/professional-activities-not-classed-as-work/2447446?openAccordionId=item-2447470-9-panel

Don't ask; don't tell. But probably your employer shouldn't let you do it.