Unemployed EU citizen - Health Insurance?

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm a Romanian citizen currently visiting my German boyfriend (with intent to register as a resident and remain in Germany) and have been trying to get information regarding health insurance.
I am not employed and not seeking employment at the moment as I have an arrangement with my father to support me financially while I handle some private matters (it would be difficult to explain specifics but basically I won't be working any time soon). I would like to get an idea of what health insurance I could be eligible for as someone living off private funding. Or if that is possible at all. I know I will need insurance, legally, but I do not think I'm eligible for public health insurance. It's very confusing. I've also seen some very cheap expat plans online but some people say that they are insufficient coverage.

Ideally I would like to earn a modest income as a digital illustrator (I used to sell digital art while at University in the UK and I was earning under the amount needed to declare income) but I currently do not have the funds to pay someone to consult for tax advice to figure out what I should even file as + pay them for small business/self-employment registration as well. So I can't currently do that and then qualify for insurance. It would have to happen later down the line, in a few months. 

I would appreciate any advice you have for me as I find myself in a really awkward position now. Thank you so much!

Marriage?

You wouldn't be neither the first, nor the last, to get married in order to get "free" health insurance.

Mind you, you would be marrying the boyfriend you are going to live with, so although triggered by health insurance I wouldn't think it's too crazy of an idea...

Just now, Gambatte said:

Marriage?

You wouldn't be neither the first, nor the last, to get married in order to get "free" health insurance.

Mind you, you would be marrying the boyfriend you are going to live with, so although triggered by health insurance I wouldn't think it's too crazy of an idea...

I would really like for it to not come to that personally :')

Currently if you are not working, you can be insured by public insurance like AOK; TK etc. as a freiwillig for about 190€ per month as long as you were insured in the EU in the past.  You may need a form from Romanian health care to prove it.  Insurance becomes mandatory once you register as a resident.  If you do not sign up for insurance, you will end up having to pay for it anyway based on the day you registered.

If you start working as a self employed later, you have to let your insurance know and they will figure out how much you pay based on your income.

7 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Currently if you are not working, you can be insured by public insurance like AOK; TK etc. as a freiwillig for about 190€ per month as long as you were insured in the EU in the past.  You may need a form from Romanian health care to prove it.  Insurance becomes mandatory once you register as a resident.  If you do not sign up for insurance, you will end up having to pay for it anyway based on the day you registered.

If you start working as a self employed later, you have to let your insurance know and they will figure out how much you pay based on your income.

I'd like to do that but I've had a lapse in Romanian health insurance as the system is completely useless. I was a student abroad yet not recognized on the Romanian system so they interrupted my insurance and I've tried calling them numerous times to resolve it and they tell you "go in person". And when you go they tell you to call...

2 minutes ago, faelight said:

I'd like to do that but I've had a lapse in Romanian health insurance as the system is completely useless. I was a student abroad yet not recognized on the Romanian system so they interrupted my insurance and I've tried calling them numerous times to resolve it and they tell you "go in person". And when you go they tell you to call...

Do you have a health care blue card for traveling?  It might help.  In my case when I came here many years ago, I managed to get health care back home to send me some kind of letter verifying that I had healthcare there.  I suggest you try to contact one of the public kasse and try to get out of them what you need.

Maybe phone TK directly and ask for their advice.  Tel.  0800 - 2 85 85 85

We have found them very helpful - the operators that we have spoken to so far have been 'can do' in their attitude. 

At the moment the Beitrag for people paying the minimum is just over 200€ a month, 

I believe you need to have been insured in an EU country for 24 months out of the previous 5 years. Your time in the UK would surely have to count as the UK was a member state until recently. All legal residents of the UK are "publicly insured" (I'm from Ireland and the system is similar, you don't pay a specific premium because it's universal social insurance but the Irish authorities were still able to issue me the S1 form or whatever it was called).