Where did you stay when first moving to Germany from abroad?

38 posts in this topic

Wondering how best to find a place to live when coming from the U.S. to start a new job in Germany. Get an air-bnb for a couple of months while looking? Seems a challenge to find a place from abroad.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hello Jauburn,

Because you're from an English-Speaking country, I would recommend Frankfurt. It's an international city and you can get along with life without German skills at the beginning although my recommendation would be to take the opportunity to learn German. 

I don't know what field you're in, but there are plenty of English speaking jobs here. 

Best of luck!

You have not said where you plan to work. Do you have a job lined up? If so, maybe they can advise on accommadation.

Air BnB , Holiday flats( Ferien Wohnung) , short term rentals, or  consult a Relocation agent.

Have you used the TT search function?

46 minutes ago, MisterDell said:

Hello Jauburn,

Because you're from an English-Speaking country, I would recommend Frankfurt. It's an international city and you can get along with life without German skills at the beginning although my recommendation would be to take the opportunity to learn German. 

I don't know what field you're in, but there are plenty of English speaking jobs here. 

Best of luck!

Danke. Ich kann immer noch Deutsch sprechen. Should have made this clear. This would actually be a return to Germany after 30+ years away. I'd probably be in/around Erlangen, although I may live in Regensburg if the work will allow it.

It's impressive to hear that your German skills are still strong after being away for 30+ years. Das ist beeindruckend. 

Those cities are really nice. 

There are furnished Apartments (möblierte Wohnungen) and/or short-term rentals (Wohnen auf Zeit). 

ImmobilienScout (real estate site) also has a search function where you can search for Wohnen auf Zeit. 

In Germany nowadays it seems to be a challenge almost everywhere to find something. 

Being abroad makes it more complicated, as you mention

Regensburg could be a problem, since it is a University city and the uni announced this week that it will be holding on-site lectures this coming semester...

I stayed in cheap hotels, the Firma paid. Might be worth trying to find a hotel where you could stay for weeks/months at a good price, they might be glad to get your custom.

I have moved here twice from the USA.  Both times were to Stuttgart.  The first time was in 2007, and temporary apartments were less popular.  We stayed in a terrible hotel for six weeks.  Well... it was terrible in that it wasn't very clean or comfortable.  It was convenient, though, and the staff was nice.  We had two loud beagles with us, so that was a plus.

The second time, we stayed in a hotel for about a week, then moved to a temporary apartment for about three weeks.  We were able to find a more permanent address after that.  Of course, now looking back on what happened when we moved to Wiesbaden, I now wish we'd spent more time in the temporary apartment.  ;)

Good luck!

I found a fully furnished short term rental for 3 months on the internet. There seemed to be plenty to choose from, and I think all I had to do was email a scan of my passport and Arbeitsvertrag. I did originally book an AirBnb for 4 weeks, but then I asked the Anmeldung question and got a vague response that amounted to no, so cancelled.

I think this sort of thing is easy enough if you have money and are willing to spend it.   

The first time I had student housing and stayed with a friend for one night. The other time the job had an apartment. Isn’t the job offering you something? 

well - our case is special, so maybe not an option for OP? But something similar might work temporarily: my husband and I moved into the basement at my parents' house until we found something for ourselves. Do you still have family/friends in your target area? If so, maybe somebody there has a (liveable) basement?

Other than that - a lot of good options have been listed already: AirBnB, Ferienwohnung, furnished business apartments. 

1 hour ago, klingklang77 said:

Isn’t the job offering you something? 

They might be, but I'm not sure. The final discussion is next week. The manager sent me a bunch of links to WG, but it didn't seem there was much available from those links. So I assume I'll really just need to get there and look around.

I'm not poor at this stage of my life, but I am single, so I really don't need much space.

Thanks, everyone, by the way, for your responses. Very nice of you.

13 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

well - our case is special, so maybe not an option for OP? But something similar might work temporarily: my husband and I moved into the basement at my parents' house until we found something for ourselves. Do you still have family/friends in your target area? If so, maybe somebody there has a (liveable) basement?

Other than that - a lot of good options have been listed already: AirBnB, Ferienwohnung, furnished business apartments. 

Thank you. Yesterday I was remembering how I found a place the last two times I went to Germany (every time is different, it seems). The first time the Uni Mainz put me up in a student dorm. Smallest place I ever lived. Was memorable for that reason, though. I could get out of the bed, take one step, and be at my desk. Another full step, and I reached the closet. I suppose it took two steps to reach the door. :)

The second time the Fulbright Commission brought me over there, and again I lived in student housing at first, but like you, I had a German partner at that time, and from that point on, we stayed at her parents' place and then got our own.

Now I'll be alone. Will be new in that respect.

At your age make sure you price in your heath insurance cost as it will not be cheap. If you had public insurance the last time you lived here you might be able to come back in but i would verify that in advance. If not its would be private which for age will be expensive. Just a fyi

I came to Munich to join a 7 person company in 1993. Brought in by a classmate from university.

He owned an apartment, rented to an American lady who sang in the Hilton, but was departing in one month on a cruise. Singing or playing piano or something

As a Hilton employee she a studio in their employee housing at Joanniskirchen. So I stayed in her studio, until she went on the cruise, then moved into the furnished apartment.

And had to get my own place 6 months later because he wanted to sell the apartment. Newspaper and phone calls it was then.

In fact his apartment was rentable because he had moved in with his girlfriend in the same building. So I got a ride to work also.

7 minutes ago, lunasuenos said:

At your age make sure you price in your heath insurance cost as it will not be cheap. If you had public insurance the last time you lived here you might be able to come back in but i would verify that in advance. If not its would be private which for age will be expensive. Just a fyi

Thank you. I'd have a normal job, so insurance would be part of the deal. I would also be newly retired from the U.S. govt. and could, if I wanted, just keep the FEHB (Blue Cross/Blue Shield), which I understand can be used overseas. I doubt I'd need to do that, though, although I'd probably keep a basic policy anyway, since the govt. pays most of it and it might be used to go "privat" if I wanted to, selectively. Not sure. 

Last time I was in Germany, I had either Barmer or AOK. I think it was Barmer. I also have 5 full years in the German social security system, if that means anything. (I was an English teacher in several German universities and ultimately a German high school in Berlin.)

10 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Newspaper and phone calls it was then.

I remember those days well (few do now, it seems). I have particular memories of standing outside those yellow German phone booths on campus. It seems there was frequently a line waiting to use the phone. :)

When I made overseas calls in those things, the phone ate my 5 DM pieces like candy.