Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How many years is an unstamped S-Bahn ticket good for?

14 posts in this topic

I haven't ridden a train since 2019. But I have to make an urgent trip, so... I have an old unstamped Berlin ABC S-Bahn ticket I bought in 2017. Is it still good? How many years does it last? I can't seem to find any information about it online.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know...

It was part of a four-trip ticket, and the current price is 15 cents more each. So I'm out the whole €3,30. I'd be tempted to just use it and play dumb, if I wasn't going to the airport... I wonder if they have some way to get a refund or credit?

Whenever someone back home says "say something in German!", my usual reponse is: "Ich habe eine Vier-Fahrten-Karte gekauft. Habe ich eigentlich eine Fahrkarte, die für vier Fahrten gültig ist? Oder vier Fahrkarten, die jeweils für eine Fahrt gelten?". Always gets a laugh. Eventually.

What happens if they catch you with a stamped but old ticket?

I have 3 partially used Munich Streifenkarte. 

It is actually ludicrous, and typical German bureaucracy that tickets go out of date.

They should be happy they got the money and earned interest on it, while you didn't consume the resources.

Don't they want to encourage people out of cars and taxi and onto public transport?

21 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

What happens if they catch you with a stamped but old ticket?

I have 3 partially used Munich Streifenkarte. 

It is actually ludicrous, and typical German bureaucracy that tickets go out of date.

They should be happy they got the money and earned interest on it, while you didn't consume the resources.

Don't they want to encourage people out of cars and taxi and onto public transport?

If it’s really old, the Streifenkart will look different with regards to amount of space between the part you stamp and the top. But since it’s folded over, they probably won’t notice. 

It’s easy to spot the inspectors. 

one €13.50, and two €14

And about 20 Paris Metro tickets which are valid 20 years after being purchased as far as I know. I've never had a metro ticket rejected.

They are 14,60 now. I just looked at mine and it has the date up top now. Previous years had the upper spot bigger. They almost never examine the whole card. Show them the stamp and it’s folded over and they can’t see the top. I don’t think I have used an out of date card, though. 

Funny topic. In other countries they have no paper tickets or Streifenkarte anymore: you check in and out with an electronic card and the ticket price is deducted automatically. I reckon Germany is still far away from this modernization. 

Oh yeah, the Dutch system is great. A tourist has to pay €10 for a card, then put another €3 or so on it to travel to Schipol from Amsterdam. 

Nope there German and French system is way better for visitors

The system in Holland might be great for the Dutch residents. It is in fact a ripoff if you wanted to take 1 or 2 public transport trips every few years.

Although I hope they now have a smartphone app. They didn't 5 years ago.

Just looked. My Dutch OV-chipkarte is valid until 01-02-2022

4 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Funny topic. In other countries they have no paper tickets or Streifenkarte anymore: you check in and out with an electronic card and the ticket price is deducted automatically. I reckon Germany is still far away from this modernization. 

LOL. Can you imagine how long it would take them to get Oyster card style booths??? 

I see you are in Munich and Sendlinger Tor Ubahn and above has taken years….. Marienplatz took a long time as well. 

Just buy a single ticket for €3.30. Getting caught with a doubtful ticket means a lot of trouble. People who can not pay the €60 charge may be sent to prison.

13 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Oh yeah, the Dutch system is great. A tourist has to pay €10 for a card, then put another €3 or so on it to travel to Schipol from Amsterdam. 

Nope there German and French system is way better for visitors

The system in Holland might be great for the Dutch residents. It is in fact a ripoff if you wanted to take 1 or 2 public transport trips every few years.

Although I hope they now have a smartphone app. They didn't 5 years ago.

Just looked. My Dutch OV-chipkarte is valid until 01-02-2022

The OV-chipkaart costs €7,50 and is valid for 5 years. If you only come once or twice every few years, you can buy a disposable card (you can buy those in a tram in A’dam as well) or 24-hour card instead. 

I love the chaos of Gare de Nord.  It may have changed, not done if for a few years.  So clunky ticket machines with huge queues mainly tourists because locals already have tickets.   Then there are these really nice guys who turn up and help.    And of course most of the tourists do not get the garbled message from the manned ticket office warning us that these angels are pickpockets.  However, they really are good at finding your the right ticket.  Just have any valuables well tucked away.  

2 hours ago, snowingagain said:

However, they really are good at finding your the right ticket.  Just have any valuables well tucked away.  

From Tripadvisor:

”Word to the wise: These guys do not do things for you out of the kindness of their hearts so just be prepared. Do not permit anyone to sell you transit tickets or permit them to use their credit cards to purchase transit tickets for you because the scam is to think that you are purchasing full fare adult tickets when in fact you are purchasing a child's one way ticket but being charged for an adult ticket.”

Gare du Nord: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d240639-r194088879-Gare_du_Nord-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

I saw it on TV with hidden camera as well.