Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Consumer rules advice

8 posts in this topic

Anyone know about German consumer law or where I can find info?
My son’s brand new (just 4 weeks old) tablet developed a fault this week. Spent an hour and a half in Media Markt, where we bought it, Wednesday and they couldn’t fix it. The next step was to phone the Microsoft hotline but it was getting late so I said I’d phone myself next day.
Microsoft said to do a complete reinstall and if that didn’t work I would need to go to their website to request a replacement.
The reinstall didn’t work so according to Microsoft it needs to be replaced.
But I think that my contract is with Media Markt and they should replace it and then send the defective one back to Microsoft themselves. This is how it would work in the UK.
Is this also in Germany?
I just want to know my rights before I go back to media markt later.

Is the problem with Windows or the tablet itself? In any case, take the tablet, with proof of purchase, back to the store where you bought it. If I remember correctly, the minimum over-the-counter return policy is one year in Germany.

Thank you.

it’s a common fault with surface pro 7. Can be software, firmware or hardware. We have tried the fixes for the first two so now Microsoft are saying it needs replacing.

thanks for your reply. I will head in there this afternoon armed with my receipt.

So yeah Media-Markt should resolve this, but it will be quicker and easier to deal with Microsoft in my experience.

Every time I tried to take something back to Media Markt, they have tried to dodge their responsibilities and for at least 2 tries they have taken the item, spent 6 weeks trying to 'repair' it then returned it to me still with a fault.

The last time it was a camera and it took nearly 6 months to get it resolved. I vowed never to buy anything from them again.

25 minutes ago, pappnase said:

So yeah Media-Markt should resolve this, but it will be quicker and easier to deal with Microsoft in my experience  Every time I tried to take something back to Media Markt, they have tried to dodge their responsibilities and for at least 2 tries they have taken the item, spent 6 weeks trying to 'repair' it then returned it to me still with a fault.

Yep.  They are the reason I buy stuff from Amazon which for all its faults has a brilliant returns policy.

Thanks everyone. Update…

they are going to replace it- but… because the earliest they could get it in stock was 28th September, they have sent it to Microsoft for a replacement. Should be back by the end of the week. (Note the word “should”)

OK, so two weeks later and no sign of it media markt say it’s with Microsoft and nothing they can do - we just have to wait. They can’t give an estimated date!

any words of advice? What are my rights?