Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can anyone recommend free mushroom places in rostock?

28 posts in this topic

The go-to-man for mushroom identification who lived opposite my parents-in-law died - wait for it - of mushroom poisoning. He was considered an expert. It is a very dodgy business. If in doubt, don't. The key is positive identification including where they grow.

Seems just too dangerous, I understand dying through poisoning is particularly painful, some types destroy the internal organs. Best to buy factory-reared fungus for a couple dollars at the food store.

As for telling others about places to find free food, there is a website where you can do just that! Seems a bit perverse, people from the city come with a car, ladders etc and take all the fruit they can reach. I shall be keeping my sources secret.

On 9/3/2021, 5:01:05, RedMidge said:

Ah no- a twist in the end! I am aiming for a Roald Dahl feel to it. Anyone read "Lamb to the slaughter"?

And wasn't it delicious?

Hi guys! thanks for your time and your valuable suggestions. After this long discussion, I have come to an end that it is fine to take take some photos of beautiful and ugly mushrooms, but not a good idea to bring it to the kitchen. Because what my (and mostly others) experience of edible mushroom would be the source of google, and may be some youtube videos. But the true fact that, in field people would often mixed it up and although the mushroom could look alike to that one sold in super shops, it might be a wild and dangerous one. So better first take a lesson from the expert in the field and then go for this adventure. Happy Autumn to all of you. 

There are laws about this, you are not allowed to collect more than you can reasonably consume, you are not allowed to gather certain species. Fines of thousands of € are possible.

On 9/12/2021, 8:28:55, Fietsrad said:

There are laws about this, you are not allowed to collect more than you can reasonably consume, you are not allowed to gather certain species. Fines of thousands of € are possible.

That's a new thing to know. Thanks @Fietsrad for sharing the information.