Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can anyone recommend free mushroom places in rostock?

28 posts in this topic

Hi, 

As the harvesting season is going on in Germany, and the mushroom picking is out there, can anyone recommend some places where we can go search for mushroom? This is for just fun, and spend some time. 

Thanks in advance! 

Basically, every German forest in driving distance of the Czech and Polish borders is flooded by 4 am by Eastern European mushroom pickers with flashlights. We don't try anymore because all new mushrooms are stripped by sunrise.

3 hours ago, jubinjohn said:

How do we identify edible  from poisonous ?. They always looked the same in pictures for me

That is a good question, even many of my friends are also afraid about my this crazy idea of picking wild mushroom. But I am not much worried actually, because you may already seen some of the wild mushrooms in the supermarket, or in the farmer market. If you focus on those, and do a little google, I think you will be safe. 

10 hours ago, Metall said:

Basically, every German forest in driving distance of the Czech and Polish borders is flooded by 4 am by Eastern European mushroom pickers with flashlights. We don't try anymore because all new mushrooms are stripped by sunrise.

Aha! I saw in Finland, the Finnish people enjoy a lot picking wild berries from the forest, and here the mushroom. It is true, the Germans probably consumes more mushroom than any other European nation. But too early in the morning!

I collect a lot of fruit, no problem with being poisoned.

But many poisonous fungi look very very like edible ones. Just too risky I think, eating even a small quantity of poisonous fungus could be fatal.

11 hours ago, jubinjohn said:

How do we identify edible  from poisonous ?. They always looked the same in pictures for me

Go mushroom picking with somone who knows what to pick and what to leave.

Books / Pictures / Youtubes will rarely give you the advice you need.

Your local adult education (VHS) may run courses - or at least forest wanderings,

if your German is up to it.

NABU do this too : 

NABU - in German

(See dates of talks / walks on the right lower down)

Ach ja - the season where my daughter in UKE Rechtsmedizin has to analyse the blood of those dead / severely ill having eaten the wrong mushroom...

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Ach ja - the season where my daughter in UKE Rechtsmedizin has to analyse the blood of those dead / severely ill having eaten the wrong mushroom...

Oh, don´t be such a pessimist, HEM!

It´s a well-known fact that you can eat all mushrooms - once!

:)

19 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Afghan boy, five, evacuated to Poland dies after eating poisonous mushrooms: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9951417/Afghan-boy-five-evacuated-Poland-dies-eating-poisonous-mushrooms.html

Can't find the article, but I clearly remember that a whole chinese family died in Portugal a few years ago from cooking poisonous mushrooms they picked up.

@Bimohan: You don't seriously expect anyone to reveal their "mushroom places", do you? That is a closely guarded secret for most people.

We only pick those that my GerMan can 100% identify - I don't know enough to try, so I leave the decisions up to him. However, even so, last time we picked we caught a Bitterling (bitter-tasting mushroom) and the entire Pilzpfanne was ruined. :(

Definitely not for me. I've read that some wrong ones can act as a  slow poison killing kidneys in 6months.

1 minute ago, RedMidge said:

This reminds me to finish the murder mystery I am writing!!

Just don't call it "Death by Mushroom".

It kinda gives the ending away...

Just now, Chelski said:

Just don't call it "Death by Mushroom".

It kinda gives the ending away...

Ah no- a twist in the end! I am aiming for a Roald Dahl feel to it. Anyone read "Lamb to the slaughter"?

On 2.9.2021, 19:12:59, HEM said:

Today my daughter had her first such case of this year.