Allowing a family member or friend to live in my house

4 posts in this topic

I've a friend (EU citizen) who is moving over to Germany and I have offered him a room to stay in, in my house.

It turns out that for him to officially register he is going to need to have a contract and a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung, which causes all kinds of problems because I'm not going to charge him rent, he'll be living with me as a partner of family member would for about 6 months or so.

I'm the owner of the house so that isn't a problem, I just don't understand how I can declare someone is legitimately living with me without paying any rent.

Can anyone offer me any advice or help me out with this?

D

Really this is not a problem.  Have done this a couple of times.  On the form I just said they were living here.  Nothing about rent or anything.

snowing is correct, no problem at all. I registered last year and live in my GF's place with no contract or alike.

She may have had to fill in a form for me saying that I live at her address, I can't actually remember, but no contract was required, just trust!

Thank you both, 

That's reassured me, I've got the paperwork now so I can get everything prepared!