Do German women stare at guys?

14 posts in this topic

In Bratislava I've had women stare at me and even smirk/act flirty. Even more so in Vienna. On my very first day using the Veinna subway a very attractive blonde local girl was smiling at me and constantly looking at me. However that hasn't happened in Prague or Dresden when I was there. In fact people in those two felt reluctant to have any eye contact with strangers, just like in London.

It was awkward when an old German man sitting next to me didn't react when I excused myself that I had to get up and pass around him to not miss my stop. No reaction whatsoever, it was as if I was invisible and had to almost step over his feet to even pass. I've never seen so many stoic, almost robotic people in my life. Is this a Saxony/former DDR thing or a big city thing? In Sofia there is staring (but unfortunately never the flirty glances from women for some reason). I think in Vienna staring is rare but when a woman does it I guess it can be flirty lol. :) 

30 minutes ago, bytex said:

In Bratislava I've had women stare at me and even smirk/act flirty. Even more so in Vienna. On my very first day using the Veinna subway a very attractive blonde local girl was smiling at me and constantly looking at me.

Something similar happened to me on the train from Frankfurt.  However, I later learned her attention and smiles were not due to my chiseled physique or ruggedly handsome looks, but rather a piece of my lunch pasta that was still dangling from my beard.  My wife pointed it out when she picked me up at the train station.

I don't usually stare, but I do take a look. Not just at guys, though. I am generally interested in people. I will sometimes just sit or stand somewhere and pass the time by watching people. 

Germans state. They are not the only nationally that do. 

They stare, get used to it. 

I read the thread(s) about staring Germans feeling left out; it never happened to me. Then one evening in the Kneippe I notised this guy who really stared;  every time I turned my head his way, he was staring at me. Right, so this is what they are talking about! Found out next day he was from Manchester...

From your description of how people in Dresden don't make eye contact it sounds almost as if you are hopeful that your experience is an anomaly, and Germans actually do stare usually? I've lived here almost 30 years and will happily look at everyone around me, male and female. And I am now German. So, I guess the answer is yes.

Was your experience on the tram recent? I was amazed when someone sat down in the seat next to me on the tram the other day. Hadn't happened since March 2020.

Is this really the worst you have to think about? That goes well beyond first world problems. Put on your big boy pants, pull down the zipper and do what you need to do.

I'll get my coat...