Anmeldung - financial and practical benefits?

10 posts in this topic

I come and go in Germany, a few weeks at a time. It seems that I can skip the anmeldung and not break any rules (or at least not get in trouble for it).

I also work full-time in Germany (remotely due to pandemic, which allows me to come and go). I pay full German tax (tax class 1) and health insurance.

I'm trying to decide whether I will benefit from doing anmeldung. Can you answer the following, and list any other financial and practical benefits:

- Without anmeldung, I can not file a tax return at the end of the year and get ~1000 EUR back like most people do (please confirm, yes/no)

- Without anmeldung, I can not receive unemployment benefits in case I lose my German job (please confirm, yes/no)

- Without anmeldung, I can not sign up for phone/internet contracts

What else is there? Please add to the list, and confirm or refute the points above.

after two weeks in a place you have to register - not doing so is against Meldegesetz. There's a 1000€ fine for that.

Where do you stay while you are in Germany?

If it's a hotel, they will register you.
If it's a place you rent, landlord will register you if you don't do it yourself.
If you stay under a bridge you have bigger problems than just a missing registration

If you are a non-EU national you could be violating the terms of your Aufenthaltserlaubnis

I'm aware that I'm in somewhat of a gray legal area, but confident enough that I will not get in trouble. When I'm here, I stay with a friend, so there's no record of it. Let's say I never exceed 2 weeks, if it makes it easier to focus on the question at hand.

To answer the next upcoming question - what's the point of not doing anmeldung - there are some small potential upsides, mainly tax/insurance related (no cheating, rather simplifying). I'm trying to weigh them against the downsides.

With this out of the way, what are some financial or practical upsides of doing anmeldung?

Are you registered as living in the country you are actually living in?  Or are you in a country where this is not necessary?

Yes, I have the equivalent of anmeldung in a different country. That address is listed on my German payslips, health insurance etc. I'm well aware this country may have objections to me paying income tax in Germany as opposed to there, and I'm well prepared to deal with those objections. I'm only interested in the German perspective here.

4 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

after two weeks in a place you have to register - not doing so is against Meldegesetz.

That's true only if you stay for more than 3 months ( https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bmg/__27.html )

Für Personen, die sonst im Ausland wohnen und im Inland nicht nach § 17 Absatz 1 gemeldet sind, besteht diese Pflicht nach Ablauf von drei Monaten.

For persons who otherwise reside abroad and are not registered in Germany in accordance with section 17(1), this obligation shall apply after the expiry of three months. (Deepl-translation)

Assuming your profile is correct and you are from Denmark

This page describes cross border working between Denmark and Germany.

Under the existing regulations, cross-border commuters are employees or workers who return from their workplace to their country of residence at least once a week.

So at the moment what you are doing doesn't fit that pattern and you might want to consider going back more often.

Google has lots of hits regarding cross border work between Denmark and Germany (I'm not going to screen them) and it seems like this is not at all uncommon. You should be able to find some advice.

From a more general perspective, I guess there are some things you might want to consider with regards pension planning and social benefits in case of unemployment (Particularly relevant at the moment with regards Covid support if you are furloughed).

Thinking about Covid, you may also want to consider the general situation if either country was to close the borders for while. Would it matter which side you were on?

17 hours ago, hores said:

I can not file a tax return at the end of the year and get ~1000 EUR back like most people do (please confirm, yes/no)

Not true. The tax at source is calculated with including the 1000 euros of the tax allowed expenses (Werbungskostenpauschale). So you will only see some tax return on tax filing if your tax allowed expences exceeds the 1000 Euro limit. 

9 hours ago, vivanco said:

Not true. The tax at source is calculated with including the 1000 euros of the tax allowed expenses (Werbungskostenpauschale). So you will only see some tax return on tax filing if your tax allowed expences exceeds the 1000 Euro limit. 

I was referring to the average tax return being around 900-1100 euros, i.e. that's roughly the amount that most people receive after filing their taxes.

However, your point is good and relevant - thank you!