Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What's wrong with the German subreddits?

22 posts in this topic

You've probably heard of Reddit which is one of the largest forum-like communities still very active these days.

There are subreddits (= sub forums) of different countries.

Even if one posts a photo of a beautiful German town in the German subreddits they get very few if any upvotes. Meanwhile in other country subreddits one gets more likes, including the Austrian one. Is that a sign that |Austrians are more welcoming despite their 

I've tried doing the same in the German-speaking subreddit of Germany (r/de) and got my post deleted.

Sure, it's not good to judge a nation from 300,000 members (the active ones at all time are more like 2000 per day) on a subreddit but you know how statistics samples work.

Is this a sign that maybe I shall reconsider Germany as a place of expatriating? I mean if I get that treatment from people living there before even going there is not a good sign. Even on the Fb group of Munich expats I saw negative, toxic behavior and those people are supposedly in the same boat. Would sth like that put you off a place you have considered for relocation?

wait till you comment on a r/de or r/germany post. The natives can become extremely hostile quite quickly

Hello,

I'm an expat living in Frankfurt, Germany. 

I have seen both sides of Reddit. There's a nice Frankfurt Subreddit. The mods and people there are 99% friendly and helpful. I have posted at r/de and r/Germany. I noticed such toxic comments. 

Life in Germany is quite OK. I don't think you should make a decision depending on how Germans behave on Reddit. Most Germans are normal. However, as everywhere, there are crazy/rude/disrespectful people. 

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Reddit is an incredibly toxic community, with terrible moderators.

I wouldn't generalise although on some subreddits I can fully agree with your opinion. 

As a side note, it's funny how Redditers sometimes call the Toytown Community similar things :)

2 hours ago, MisterDell said:

Life in Germany is quite OK. I don't think you should make a decision depending on how Germans behave on Reddit. Most Germans are normal. However, as everywhere, there are crazy/rude/disrespectful people. 

I totally agree with not making a decision based on how a bunch of foreigners behave in an online community!

Not sure about most Germans being "normal" - I guess it all depends upon ones´definition of normal! :D

13 hours ago, MisterDell said:

I wouldn't generalise although on some subreddits I can fully agree with your opinion. 

There are a lot of "hidden purpose" subs. They claim to be unbiased, but as soon as you slightly hint your opinion in one way, you get immediately banned.

As there is no way to escalate a ban, they can do whatever they want.

Typical social media: make money, let the unregulated, as regulating costs money and pushes people away.

I don´t understand why people give reddit and others of their ilk the time of the day. Who cares what they have to say?

On 27/08/2021, 09:43:45, MikeMelga said:

Reddit is an incredibly toxic community, with terrible moderators.

Bold generalisation. 

22 hours ago, robinson100 said:

I totally agree with not making a decision based on how a bunch of foreigners behave in an online community!

Not sure about most Germans being "normal" - I guess it all depends upon ones´definition of normal! :D

They are not foreigners, most are Germans.

On 8/27/2021, 6:42:53, MisterDell said:

I have seen both sides of Reddit. There's a nice Frankfurt Subreddit. The mods and people there are 99% friendly and helpful. I have posted at r/de and r/Germany. I noticed such toxic comments.

Good to hear about Frankfurt but the towns I like are all in Bavaria, I couldn't find a Bavarian sub that's active.

I never post anything controversial. Just photos of nice German towns and never get enough upvotes on either r/de or r/Germany.

If I post a pretty picture of an Austrian town in the Austrian subreddit or a picture of a Czech town in the Czech one I get plenty of votes. Btw even more troubling is that some other people have plenty of upvotes for similar posts: https://www.reddit.com/r/germany/comments/pd9ows/full_arc_over_berlin_yesterday/ so I don't know what's that all about.

As for foreigners, the Munich expat group on Fb is totally toxic. I wouldn't want to live in a city that attracts that kind of expats. People on Bratislava and even Prague expat Fb groups are much nicer.

I hope the locals in Futh am Wald are more welcoming! Btw check the annual Dragon-slaying festival there (with a huge robotic Dragon) or if you have kids the Wildgarten.

https://furth.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/headerdrache.jpg

23 hours ago, robinson100 said:

My definition of "normal" has changed with the time. 

For example, if you are an employee at a German company, especially doing customer service, your colleagues will think you are crazy if you are being friendly and positive towards the customers. 

And also the customers seem to be accustomed to staff being unfriendly. When I was nice (I am still nice but more determined in some instances 😉) I feel I got less respected 😂

1 hour ago, MisterDell said:

My definition of "normal" has changed with the time. 

For example, if you are an employee at a German company, especially doing customer service, your colleagues will think you are crazy if you are being friendly and positive towards the customers. 

And also the customers seem to be accustomed to staff being unfriendly. When I was nice (I am still nice but more determined in some instances 😉) I feel I got less respected 😂

- so, are you normal, or are they?!!!

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

- so, are you normal, or are they?!!!

Hahaha. That's a good question. At the beginning I was certainly not normal. But with time I learned what is considered to be normal in Germany. 

I think every country has a standard regarding what's considered normal. For example, if someone would ride a bicycle blasting music from a portable radio, everyone in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden) would ask themselves if the person had escaped from the psychiatry. In Germany, I see it often, and somehow it has become a normal thing 😂

1 hour ago, MisterDell said:

Hahaha. That's a good question. At the beginning I was certainly not normal. But with time I learned what is considered to be normal in Germany. 

I think every country has a standard regarding what's considered normal. For example, if someone would ride a bicycle blasting music from a portable radio, everyone in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden) would ask themselves if the person had escaped from the psychiatry. In Germany, I see it often, and somehow it has become a normal thing 😂

There is exactly one guy in my town who blasts music from a portable radio he has in his bike basket and he absolutely looks like he escaped from psychiatry. 

I sometimes see teenagers, normally not on bikes, blasting music from their cell phones but I think that is because teenagers tend to be loud and want to be heard, especially if they think it is bothering someone.  I don't think that is a German thing.

10 hours ago, LeonG said:

I sometimes see teenagers, normally not on bikes, blasting music from their cell phones but I think that is because teenagers tend to be loud and want to be heard, especially if they think it is bothering someone.  I don't think that is a German thing.

Germans aren't shy about telling the little bastards to turn it off, especially if the content is far-rights / neo-nazi.  I saw this little shit trying to impress his friends with such garbage get such a screaming at on the S-Bahn one time, Frau Ottoverbraucher just lit into him.  Satisfying to watch.

Btw, I posted a photo on r/bavaria and got about 43 upvotes which is nice.

I hope that's good sign of sorts about the people in Bavaria.

Aside from Nuremberg and Munich* I feel that Germans in Bavaria and maybe Thuringhia are some of the nicest.

*frankly I wouldn't like to live in those two as there are far more beautiful towns and cities in Bavaria.