Liquidating old U.K. funds

2 posts in this topic

Hello Toytown Geniuses

My wife has a couple of old (very old, from the late 90s) stocks and shares unit trust type funds. They are so old they pre-date ISAs. I am trying to work out what the tax consequences would be of liquidating them. We are German tax resident. I heard somewhere that very old funds like this are free of CGT in Germany. We are selling them because they have become a pain to own with the new income reporting regime. 

Thanks!

Ciej

SInce noone has responded so far - I went through a similar operation a few years ago and following years of doing my German Steuererklärung myself I got a local Steuerberater (the chief is a flying friend of mine) to help out after I sold the funds.  Luckily one of his staff was an expert in handling funds & managed to unravel things - at a cost.  Make sure the Steuerberater you contact has expertise in such matters. 

However my funds were not quite as old as yours.  When you find a suitable Steuerberater it might be worth doing the calculations on selling part of the funds in this year & the remainder next year verses all this year.  In my case it could have been better to have spilt the sales over two years..