Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

extending expired EU driver license

12 posts in this topic

Hello I have moved to Germany few years back and was living here ever since. I had a driving license in my country but I left it there  and unfortunately since I did not have a car I forgot about it thinking that the one I had was a 50 year one. But this was not the case. Now  in my home country I can extend it no problem but since my address is registered in Germany I was told I need to extend / get a new one here. 

My question is was anyone have a similar situation what was the procedure and where did you go to do it I have found this link on-line (https://www.rhein-sieg-kreis.de/vv/produkte/Amt_36/Verlaengerung_der_Fahrerlaubnis_.php ) but no one is picking the phone or answering email. My next step is to go there but i want to confirm this is where i need to go before I do, since they get pissy if you show up with out the appointment.

thx

As far as I know, you can't exchange an expired license, EU or otherwise, for a German license.  You have to renew your license where it was issued and with your new license, you can exchange for a German one should you want to.

Your link has to do with extending German issued commercial drivers licenses such as C and D class which normally need to be extended more often.

You can book an appointment under "Links und Downloads" under the last link: "Terminreservierung Straßenverkehrsamt"

Are you sure because that was my first assumption and I went to extend the license where it was originally issued. And I was specifically told that they can not issue my license because my home address is now in Germany and by EU regulation I need to request a license from a country I reside in. And that i need to ask how to do it in Germany, but that they can provide me with what ever is necessary to prove that my driving test is still fully valid and recognized.

12 minutes ago, Anto P said:

Are you sure because that was my first assumption and I went to extend the license where it was originally issued. And I was specifically told that they can not issue my license because my home address is now in Germany and by EU regulation I need to request a license from a country I reside in. And that i need to ask how to do it in Germany, but that they can provide me with what ever is necessary to prove that my driving test is still fully valid and recognized.

I knew a guy who had to go back to Italy to renew his but they may have changed it since as it was a few years ago.  Use the link to make an appointment.  Then you can ask the Verkehrsamt directly.

My UK license expired last year (during the transition period, so it was still treated as an EU license) and I was able to swap it for a German one without renewing it in the UK. 

One question here is what do you mean exactly by expired? In the UK the licence "expires" after 10 years, but all that means is that you have to update the photo. The actual entitlement to drive doesn't normally expire until your 70th birthday.

Assuming your licence shows you have the entitlement to drive I don't think you'll have a problem. I swapped my UK licence to a German one earlier this year and it was just a case of filling out the form and going along with photo, ID and paying the money.

what i mean by expired is the document is not valid. that is need to update the pic and exchange for a new standard.

AFAIK you cannot renew your license back in Croatia (it will not be legal to drive in Germany), you have to bring your old license to German authorities and apply for the German license. 

On 8/22/2021, 5:45:56, Anto P said:

This is true. You can use a foreign EU license in Germany only if it was issued before you established residency here. Any license renewal outside of Germany will make it illegal to drive here. 

25 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

AFAIK you cannot renew your license back in Croatia (it will not be legal to drive in Germany), you have to bring your old license to German authorities and apply for the German license. 

This is true. You can use a foreign EU license in Germany only if it was issued before you established residency here. Any license renewal outside of Germany will make it illegal to drive here. 

I think they have changed this in the last few years, possibly due to MPU avoidance.  When I moved to Germany 12 years ago, I had spent 7 years in Canada and had a Canadian license.  The Canadians took my Icelandic license because they don't want you to have two.  I went to the Führerscheinstelle and asked about my options and they said that if I swap my Canadian license for a German one, I have to get an eye test, translation of my license and a first aid course.  Cost of all, well over 100€  I asked them about getting my Icelandic license re-issued through the embassy and they said that was fine and what I ended up doing.  Cost me only 20€ at the time.  I'm still driving on that license.

I know an Italian guy here also whose license was expired and he was told that he could not renew it here.  He had to go back to Italy.  This was maybe 5 yrs. ago.  After getting it renewed, the police here knew him so when they saw him driving, they pulled him over for no license but had no problem with his newly renewed Italian license.

In the meantime, it sounds like they've changed the rules on this.

Perhaps the Italian guy was still registered in Italy (e.g. parental home) and able to renew it. The policy can differ from country to country.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Perhaps the Italian guy was still registered in Italy (e.g. parental home) and able to renew it. The policy can differ from country to country.

I doubt it because he's older and I'm pretty sure his parents are no longer among us.  He might have registered with a family member in order to get it or maybe he did not have to.  I did not have to register in Iceland in order to get my license re-issued there.  I just had to go to the embassy, show ID, tell them what happened to my license and they ordered me a new one and mailed it to my house.

Make an appointment with the German authority, tell them you want to do an "Umtausch eines EU-Führerscheins". This is what you need:

Umschreibung eines ausländischen Führerscheins aus einem EU-Staat oder eines Staates gemäß der Anlage 11 zu § 31 Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung (FeV)

• Pass oder Personalausweis
  • ein aktuelles biometrisches Passfoto
  • ausländischer Führerschein im Original
  • evtl. Übersetzung des Führerscheins
  • evtl. Nachweis über Auslandsaufenthalt
  • Verlängern von C und D-Klassen siehe "Führerschein erweitern"

Your new licence will be valid for 15 years (for class B).

https://www.leverkusen.de/vv/produkte/FB36/Umschreibung_einer_auslaendischen_Fahrerlaubnis.php