I am Malala

22 posts in this topic

Just to add a bit of context:

Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban is an autobiographical book by Malala Yousafzai, co-written with Christina Lamb.

It was published on 8 October 2013, by Weidenfeld & Nicolson in the UK and Little, Brown and Company in the US. The book details the early life of Yousafzai, her father's ownership of schools and activism, the rise and fall of the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan in Swat Valley and the assassination attempt made against Yousafzai, when she was aged 15, following her activism for female education. It received a positive critical reception and won awards, though it has been banned in many schools in Pakistan.

Part One covers Malala Yousafzai's life "Before the Taliban". She describes her childhood home Swat Valley. Named for Malalai of Maiwand, Yousafzai lived with her father Ziauddin, her mother Toor Pekai and two younger brothers Khushal and Atal. Ziauddin's father Rohul Amin was an imam and a teacher. Ziauddin studied a Master's in English at Jehanzeb College.

Part Two, "The Valley of Death", details the rise of the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan in Swat. In 2006, Fazlullah began a popular "Radio Mullah" broadcast which initially gave advice on such matters as ritual ablutions and drug abstinence, but progressed into the condemnation of music and dancing, and instruction on women staying in the home. The book also describes the continuing War in North-West Pakistan, and the return of Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan which culminated in her assassination.

Part Three is entitled "Three Bullets, Three Girls". By August 2009, the army have fought off the Taliban in Swat, and the Yousafzai family return. Malala's school re-opens, and she visits Islamabad with school friends, meeting with Major General Athar Abbas and giving a public speech. With her father, Yousafzai speaks at many interviews, critical of the Taliban and the army's ineffectiveness.

Part Four is named "Between Life and Death". One bullet travelled from Yousafzai's left eye to her shoulder, and her friends Shazia and Kainat were also non-fatally injured.

Part Five is called "A Second Life". Yousafzai woke up in Birmingham on 16 October

She also appeared with David Letterman on thes Netflix show 'My Next Guest Needs No Introduction'

David Letterman interview

In March 2018, Yousafzai was the subject of an interview with David Letterman for his Netflix show My Next Guest Needs No Introduction. Speaking about the Taliban, she opined that their misogyny comes from a superiority complex, and is reinforced by finding "excuses" in culture or literature, such as by misinterpreting teachings of Islam.[166] On the topic of her attackers, Yousafzai comments: "I forgive them because that's the best revenge I can have." Pointing out that the person who attacked her was a young boy, she says: "He thought he was doing the right thing".

Well worth the watch, one dauntless person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malala_Yousafzai

How many such women and children are tortured at the moment. With Malala s come back to her life , rest of the world could understand what is to be like a woman / girl in swath valley. 

But what difference could she make to the world, absolutely nothing. 1000s of such girls are being tortured at this moment. Stock prices of companies who directly or indirectly aid weapon manufacturing will keep going up , if there is chance for aggression. Religious extremism flourishes and  this world is degenarating. Such a depressing time

3 hours ago, jubinjohn said:

But what difference could she make to the world, absolutely nothing.

I do not agree.

Telling stories does have huge power, eventually. A falling tree makes more noise than a growing forest. 

The bad guys exploit ignorance and poverty. In the least fortunate countries people of any age are often undernourished and illiterate. If there is momentum to promote education, long term poverty will be solved. And once poverty and ignorance are both solved, the baddest guys won't be around any more. 

I believe there is long term hope. Not in the next few years, but eventually...

45 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

And once poverty and ignorance are both solved, the baddest guys won't be around any more. 

It depends on what one does with an education. Look at all of the dumb as shit governors in the US.

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

I do not agree.

Telling stories does have huge power, eventually. A falling tree makes more noise than a growing forest. 

The bad guys exploit ignorance and poverty. In the least fortunate countries people of any age are often undernourished and illiterate. If there is momentum to promote education, long term poverty will be solved. And once poverty and ignorance are both solved, the baddest guys won't be around any more. 

I believe there is long term hope. Not in the next few years, but eventually...

They are just some hopeful thoughts about a better tomorrow, i like to believe it , but it won't work .

You can teach everyone to read and write, but to make one think or absorb knowledge, his life needs a minimum quality.  When people are worried about what to eat in few hours, or what will happen to their life or their loved once life , they can't make use of their education even if they have any.  They are in the lowest step of society , there ' survive today ' is the rule. Thinking about future is a luxury that only developed countries can afford.

History has already proven that wealth is a consequence of education.

Where or when was this not true?

Ok some, Venezuela today for instance, or the Soviets when they collapsed, but revolutions are statistical glitches.

I stand by my opinion that long term, schooling eradicate poverty and violence.

Agree?

When we translate them into number of years, i think it will be like a century. That is where I think agreeing to what you said  does not mean much. A method which is too slow , but yes it is less difficult and definitely robust. 

No one is talking about Afghanistan  right  now on here. I wonder why?

I am Malala. That is a beautiful thread title. Just wondering if hardly anyone is posting their opinions because of the binary angle? Trump v Biden.

John, read the book!

The baddest guys did/do certain things after they get brainwashed with the "religious" bullshit they are fed. 

Many of them, young adults, have never been at school in their whole life, because, allegedly by those who indoctrinated them, "Islam says so". By the way, please remind me, who invented algebra and medicine? Never mind...

Had they been at school, maybe they would have learned to think. And there would be better chance they realised the bullshit they are fed is indeed bullshit. Maybe that's why they are told to bomb schools, if people are not given chance to develop their thinking, and to learn skills that help make a living, they remain poor AND illiterate, so

it's easier to indoctrinate them and make them do the baddest things their evil leaders want.

Read the book.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

No one is talking about Afghanistan  right  now on here. I wonder why?I

because that problem is 4,918 km away?

Not sure, Techs. Maybe also because Trump supporters on here are feeling insecure because Biden supporters are also feeling insecure? Binary?

I don't know if I'm reading the right stuff here and there but did Biden actually say his son was in the Navy in Afghanistan?

I am not into conspiracies as such and am happy to be corrected.

I've never learnt grammar, of any language 😭. Never mind I'm a PhD and I'm on my 4th language.

So I was shocked when my German teacher (she learnt Italian for fun, and she knew the grammar better than me, I'm native, most embarrassing...) told me she found "easy" teaching me. How the heck is this possible??? 

The truth: she was also teaching adult refugees who NEVER been in school before. That's why, all in all, it was probably easier for her to teach me than them.

This was years ago and it still deeply disturb me.

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

Not sure, Techs. Maybe also because Trump supporters on here are feeling insecure because Biden supporters are also feeling insecure? Binary?

Set the media aside.  A problem only affects you if it impacts you directly or indirectly. How much it affects you depends on how close the problem is to your personal life or your way of living. What is the impact to Toytown members in Germany by what is occurring in Afghanistan?

Well, there is ( was?) a huge, long Trump thread. And by TTers living in Germany.

12 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

I've never learnt grammar, of any language 😭. Never mind I'm a PhD and I'm on my 4th language.

So I was shocked when my German teacher (she learnt Italian for fun, and she knew the grammar better than me, I'm native, most embarrassing...) told me she found "easy" teaching me. How the heck is this possible??? 

The truth: she was also teaching adult refugees who NEVER been in school before. That's why, all in all, it was probably easier for her to teach me than them.

This was years ago and it still deeply disturb me.

Why be disturbed? She sounds like a great teacher! Your native language is Italian?

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

Well, there is ( was?) a huge, long Trump thread. And by TTers living in Germany.

Trump's gone, a historical anomaly, a blight entry in our anals (pun intended) .  Nobody cares about him anymore, besides himself, his ignorant base, and the desperate Repulsivecans who are soon to be history, replaced by another yet to be determined party.

22 minutes ago, john g. said:

Why be disturbed?

Your native language is Italian?

Sorry, badly written and not clear.

The disturbing thing is that today there are adults that have never been in school. Sometimes because the local schools got bombed and destroyed, on purpose. Sometimes they were told "if you go to school we kill you".

Yes, my native language is italian.

Sai anche tu l'italiano?

On 20/08/2021, 21:22:20, jubinjohn said:

You can teach everyone to read and write, but to make one think or absorb knowledge, his life needs a minimum quality.  When people are worried about what to eat in few hours, or what will happen to their life or their loved once life , they can't make use of their education even if they have any.  They are in the lowest step of society , there ' survive today ' is the rule. Thinking about future is a luxury that only developed countries can afford.

I agree, that is also one of the basic findings of psychology, shown in Maslow's "hierarchy of needs": https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

Needs lower down in the hierarchy must be satisfied before individuals can attend to needs higher up.

maslow-needs2.png.43701ce28ada46229d1188