de-register the car

20 posts in this topic

Hello

I would like to de-register my car in Germany. I have several questions:

+ can de-register first and then sell it? Some advises to sell it before de-registering. In my case, I want to de-register immediately to avoid the cost for HU/AU and insurance. They are supposed to be done by end of this year.

+ would it be possible to not insure the car, and of course not driving it and then selling/de-registering later on?

+ the car is driven for about 100k km. What would be the (reasonable) price? The model is Open Corsa C 2004. Of course if you are interested and around Dortmund/Essen, I'm happy to sell it to you.

Any help is appreciated.

Best day for all

1 hour ago, kstn said:

Hello

+ can de-register first and then sell it?

yes, but you will not be able to take a new potential owner for a test drive, they may not like it and offer you less money

Some advises to sell it before de-registering. In my case, I want to de-register immediately to avoid the cost for HU/AU and insurance. They are supposed to be done by end of this year.

+ would it be possible to not insure the car, and of course not driving it and then selling/de-registering later on?

Sure but you will have to store it off the road

+ the car is driven for about 100k km. What would be the (reasonable) price? The model is Open Corsa C 2004. Of course if you are interested and around Dortmund/Essen, I'm happy to sell it to you.

Look on Autoscout24.de, search for cars in roughly the same shape as yours, you will get a rough idea how much other cars are sold for, and therefore gain an idea on how much your car is worth 

Any help is appreciated.

Best day for all

You can get a good over view of questions around this subject buy 

Using the Search box, top right corner and putting in 

de-register the car

maybe even ask a question or 2 there

You should also know that because of the shortage of new cars at the moment, secondhand cars prices are going up, maybe if you leave it a longer time, they will go back down again

58 minutes ago, kstn said:

Hello

+ can de-register first and then sell it? Some advises to sell it before de-registering. In my case, I want to de-register immediately to avoid the cost for HU/AU and insurance. They are supposed to be done by end of this year.

Yes but then car could not be driven and the new buyer can't even test drive on the road making selling it to private buyer a bit difficultp

If the car is registered, you need to have a basic insurance. 

Any help is appreciated.

Best day for all

Just take some picture of your car from all the sides and put it on wirkaufendeinauto website. See what they offer. If their initial offer looks good then drive it to their place for physical evaluation and their final offer. Generally at this stage they make a low offer but you can decide if you can sell it to them or not at the quoted price. To make a good judgement you should be actually aware of the real worth of your car. In case you sell, they take care of your deregistration. 

Good luck. 

wirkaufendeinauto website

Will offer you the lowest price, try to aviod selling it to them, if you want a fair or Good price for your car

Put the car details into this website:  Autoverkauf - Gebrauchtwagen einfach verkaufen (mobile.de)  and you'll get quick, genuine offers (from my experience) from traders near you. 

If you think the offer is a bit low, because there is something special about your car which isn't in the information provided, you can try to haggle when you get to the garage (it's worked for me). Equally, if the offer seems high (for example, the information you provide won't mention a huge dent on the bonnet, or a knocking sound as soon as the engine starts), prepare to justify why it is still worth near the offer price.

Always best to go armed with a few adverts for similar cars in the area too.

A trader will typically be prepared to do the deregistration for you.

30 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Will offer you the lowest price, try to aviod selling it to them, if you want a fair or Good price for your car

Not always.  I helped some people sell their car a couple of years ago.  We put it on autoscout, no interest, lowered the price a couple of times, still no interest.  They took it to a dealer and were offered 9k.  wirkaufendeinauto gave them 10.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

My experience was different. Accidental damage car was evaluated by insurance as a writeoff for 2.3k. Was offered by wkda 2.7k.

There's no harm in trying wkda. One can always walk away if the offer is below expectation. 

2 hours ago, vivanco said:

My experience was different. Accidental damage car was evaluated by insurance as a writeoff for 2.3k. Was offered by wkda 2.7k.

There's no harm in trying wkda. One can always walk away if the offer is below expectation. 

Thats not the same thing

Insurance write offs, are always lower than the cars worth.

I had my car damaged, by hail stones, insurance valued the car at 1200 euro  ( very old car ), they said they would not repair the damage and gave me the 1200.

The insurance agent said to me that I could sell it privatly for more than that, if I repaired the window, I repaired the window, and still  drive it now, after putting the 1200 euro in my bank account.

After passing  the TUF, I think I could still get nearly 2K for it, several years after the hail stone damage was done

But yes of course try to ask as many people as possible to get the best possible price

You cannot de-register your car and then sell it.  It is illegal to have a car without insurance/registration.  Put it on Ebay Kleinanzeigen.  I sold my car within 12 hours that way for about the price I wanted.  You will get a lot of crazies that basically offer you 2k less immediately.  Ignore them.

1 hour ago, TiredMommy said:

You cannot de-register your car and then sell it.  It is illegal to have a car without insurance/registration. 

It's not illegal to de-register your car but if you do, you can't continue driving it and you can't park it on the street.  If you want to sell it, the buyer will not be able to test drive it, at least not legally. 

There is also a risk for you to sell a registered car to a private party and trust that they will put the car in their name.  If they continue driving on your plates, racking up fines etc. it will be your problem to clean up the mess.

I will de-register it and give it to a friend, then he can register it later. The question is, can I keep the license plate as an antique? Possibly they can make a hole in it so that it can't be used for other car?

20 minutes ago, kstn said:

I will de-register it and give it to a friend, then he can register it later. The question is, can I keep the license plate as an antique? Possibly they can make a hole in it so that it can't be used for other car?

Yes, when you go to de-register the car, they will ask  you to destroy the stickers on the plate.  Where I live, they have a drill to do this.  You can use the drill to destroy the sticker without actually damaging the plate too much.  Or if you just want a nice clean plate with your license number on it, you can have a new one made.

Problem is if you de-register and the Tüv expires its a problem getting a new Tüv without registration.  You or the buyer cannot register without a Tüv and need to buy a temporary registration and insurance for the 3 days also expensive with the problem of getting parts, having  it repaired and retested if it fails in the 3 days if required. otherwise more expense.  It would be worthwhile applying for a new Tüv before de-registering. Otherwise the car devalues a lot. With only 100K  its quite a good buy for someone. Are you sure its genuine with old Tüv certificates as proof it will increase the value. A new Tüv increases value and gives 2 years grace. 

3 hours ago, GoBike said:

Problem is if you de-register and the Tüv expires its a problem getting a new Tüv without registration.

Not really. You´re allowed to drive to the closest TÜV testing station without registration. But as you said you can´t re-register without valid TÜV.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Not really. You´re allowed to drive to the closest TÜV testing station without registration. But as you said you can´t re-register without valid TÜV.

No idea where you got that idea from but your very very  go to jail huge fines take the house if you crash wrong. You must have temporary plates. Cost of registration and new temporary use once plates + insurance for the plates.

I just had to go though all the BS twice  with parts for retest delayed, added Covid complications of booking an appointment and service by the rudest German I have ever met. I don't meet many most are great to deal with. 

The insurance I booked did allow the temporary plate insurance free with the policy as long as you took out the policy in time otherwise 130 Euros.    

3 hours ago, GoBike said:

No idea where you got that idea from 

From the Kraftverkehrsamt Main-Spessart where I wanted to re-register a car the TÜV of which had expired and was told to proceed as I described.

On 9/27/2021, 7:34:43, jeba said:

From the Kraftverkehrsamt Main-Spessart where I wanted to re-register a car the TÜV of which had expired and was told to proceed as I described.

A search on Toytown  "Unregistered car Tüv" will save you a lot of pain. Sorry for making the reply so loud but I do not want anyone reading your advice. If your Tüv has expired could be why they said its OK but no registration (plates) and insurance big no no.  Trailer or trade plates is another way your garage could do it. 

8 hours ago, GoBike said:

A search on Toytown  "Unregistered car Tüv" will save you a lot of pain. Sorry for making the reply so loud but I do not want anyone reading your advice. If your Tüv has expired could be why they said its OK but no registration (plates) and insurance big no no.  Trailer or trade plates is another way your garage could do it. 

Just phone your local Kraftverkehrsamt rather than rely on Toytown. I was explicietly talking about a car the TÜV of which had expired and I never said you can drive without insurance. But you can´t re-register a car without TÜV which means you have to drive to the TÜV before registration (using your old number plates, provided you had paid for keeping your old number - not sure which plates to use if you hadn´t).

Just ignore jeba rather than relying on any of his advice.

When you de-register a car, they scrape off the registration sticker on your license plate, so you obviously can't drive it to TÜV before re-registering.

As @GoBike said, you'll either have to have it towed/transported to the places you need to go or get temporary plates (Überführungskennzeichen in German - those are the red ones you occasionally see on the roads).

9 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

hey scrape off the registration sticker on your license plate

Correct

9 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

so you obviously can't drive it to TÜV before re-registering.

Wrong!