Does § 18c Absatz 2 apply to the Daueraufenthalt-EU?

3 posts in this topic

Hello Toytown Germany community,


I hope I'm not repeating a question that's already been discussed before, but I haven't been able to find anything on the form to answer it.


I currently hold a Blue Card EU. I tried to apply for Daueraufenthalt-EU, but was told that I need 60 months of pension plan payments. Although I've been in Germany for just about 10 years, I was a freelancer for most of that time, and so I have just about 2 years of pension plan payments as I've been fully employed since October 2019.


I know that, according to § 18c, having a Blue Card EU allows me to apply for Niederlassungserlaubnis after only 21 months of pension plan payments (I have C1 level German), and I was told by the Ausländeramt that I am indeed eligible to apply for it. However, between the Blue Card EU and the Niederlassungserlaubnis, I would rather keep the Blue Card. Although § 18c doesn't reference the Daueraufenthalt-EU, I was hoping that the law applies based on § 9a Absatz 1 Satz 3, which says that in areas not explicitly regulated by the Daueraufenthalt-EU law, the Niederlassungserlaubnis law applies. It also seems to me that the Daueraufenthalt-EU is the next logical step after Blue Card EU, so it was strange to be told that the advantage provided by the Blue Card EU in the context of the Niederlassungserlaubnis does not apply for the Daueraufenthalt-EU.


Does that make any sense to anyone?


I'm thinking of going to an immigration lawyer to get a professional consultation, but thought I'd get some opinions from here first.





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion about Daueraufenthalt-EU  is that it is a bit unuseful permit , it kind of allows you to work in other EU states but you still have to apply some permits in country where you intend to work.  and if you move other country you will have a gap and it will disqualify from citizenship

best solution for you will be to get Niderlasungserlaubnis and than apply for  German citizenship, citizenship is the ultimate solution  if you intend to move around EU


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now