water softening system for the house

8 posts in this topic

Dear Friends, Has any one installed water softening system for the house? We live in Hamburg, and according to the hamburg wasserwerk, our water should be hard (~14dh). Is such a system useful for the long term? My family members have issues with hairfall and dry skin probelm, may be partially due to our hard water. If any one has pros and cons of installing water softening system for the house. Please share your comments here.

Yes had one in usa.helps with dry skin not sure for hairloss, but hair will be softer. Does help keep hot waters work better as they dont scale up as well as dishwasher and shower heads. Shower doors have less water spotting and for sure clothes wah better as the detergent works better. If at all possible its best to have kitchen faucet cold water line not on softened water as it does softened water via  sLt based softner has a different taste. But this is not always easy to do due to plumbing. If water is really hard it will make a noticeable difference

Thanks for your replies. Yes. I will surely check the water hardness before the purchase. First I would like to have the suggestions from the experienced people.

Hi MikeMelga, if possible please share the brand name, purchase and installation cost and usage experience.  Any thing we should consider before purchasing? I am thinking  about Grunberg softliq 18, but it has very much mixed reviews in the net. Thanks

That's the one I got. Regarding cost, it was almost 3000€. The phone app works well. I'm only concerned with maintenance cost, but I'm still in talks with landlord regarding that.

14 dH is still the lower spectrum of the "Hard" level.  And after a while most probably you just get used to it, like it happened to most of us.    Cheaper that way.

https://coldfog.com/fog-tech-center/water-hardness/

Water Hardness

Raw water consists of much more than just the hydrogen and oxygen atoms with which we are all so familiar.  It also contains combinations of calcium, magnesium, sodium, silica and a variety of other dissolved minerals deposited from environmental sources.

Water hardness is primarily the measurement of calcium (Ca++) and magnesium (Mg++) ions in the water.  In the U.S., hardness is usually measured in ppm (parts-per-million), the molar concentration of CaCO3 which can be given by most test kits.

Other two units also used in measuring hardness:  German Degrees of Hardness (dH) and mg/l (grain/liter).  For a rule of thumb:

Hardness  PPM  dH  Mg/l 
Very soft 0 to 60 ppm 0 to 4 dH  
Soft 60 to 119 ppm 4 to 8 dH 0-19 mg/l
Medium hard 120 to 179 ppm 8 to 12 dH 20-50 mg/l
Hard 180 to 239 ppm 12 to 18 dH 51-120 mg/l
Very hard 240 to 500 ppm 18 to 30 dH 121-174 mg/l
Extremely hard over 500 ppm over 30 dH >175