What sites do people use to find groups?

15 posts in this topic

I have used meetup in the past to find some interest groups in the areas I've lived. I'm now living in Hamburg, and was checking Meetup to find people to play volleyball with. I found one large group, but no activity for over a year. I was then thinking to just start my own, but saw it's $10/month just to start a group (I'm a student at the moment, so would like to avoid that). 

Are there potentially other more active sites people are aware of for networking with respect to hobbies / interest groups? 

Thanks!

Thank you for the google link. 

I'm interested in less formal organized groups, which do not require monthly fees / scheduled games. That's why meetup was ideal - a group of people with same interests, which would post up groups and then ask who would show up to play for a few hours (and you of course only pay when you actually can go). 

9 hours ago, mallard said:

Sorry?

Just a stretch, but maybe, just maybe, Metall was trying to point out that you are posting on a site at the moment, a site people have used to find people who are interested in similar activities, e.g.:

24 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Just a stretch, but maybe, just maybe, Metall was trying to point out that you are posting on a site at the moment, a site people have used to find people who are interested in similar activities, e.g.:

Or he could just go on Google to Google how to do Google searches ;)

4 hours ago, jeba said:

Being from the analogue age, I´m not good at googling. 

Me too! Or social media in general.

Look of Facebook, search Hamburg Volleyball.  Lots listed.  Further down the page, there are more active pages listed.
0A7192E6-2F76-4A1C-BB38-732EC5687574.png
Must be lots on Instagram too.

My daughter is a student in the south of Germany. There are several student WhatsApp groups where they arrange water sports.  Ask some fellow students.

You could also place a free ad on eBay Kleinanzeigen asking for any other people that may be interested. 

On Facebook/Instagram, join a general local group and ask.

Good luck 

16 minutes ago, emkay said:

Me too! Or social media in general.

Look of Facebook, search Hamburg Volleyball.  Lots listed.  Further down the page, there are more active pages listed.
0A7192E6-2F76-4A1C-BB38-732EC5687574.png
Must be lots on Instagram too.

My daughter is a student in the south of Germany. There are several student WhatsApp groups where they arrange water sports.  Ask some fellow students.

You could also place a free ad on eBay Kleinanzeigen asking for any other people that may be interested. 

On Facebook/Instagram, join a general local group and ask.

Good luck 

Thank you! I don't have social media, but perhaps will make one for this purpose, I didn't realize Facebook groups were widely used for these things. 

Here in Frankfurt, there's a very active Facebook group called "Foreigners/Expats in Frankfurt".  I see posts almost daily calling for people to join various sports and social activities.  Try the same where you are, you might be surprised what you find.

1 hour ago, mallard said:

I'm interested in less formal organized groups, which do not require monthly fees / scheduled games

That will be difficult because someone will have to pay the rent for the sports hall. When I was young, I joined the local Postsportverein to play volleyball and badminton. There was a small membership fee but it was up to you whether you were participating in scheduled games or just playing casually. Many local sport associations will have a volleyball department.

15 hours ago, mallard said:

I have used meetup in the past to find some interest groups in the areas I've lived. I'm now living in Hamburg, and was checking Meetup to find people to play volleyball with. I found one large group, but no activity for over a year. I was then thinking to just start my own, but saw it's $10/month just to start a group (I'm a student at the moment, so would like to avoid that). 

Are there potentially other more active sites people are aware of for networking with respect to hobbies / interest groups? 

Thanks!

You are a student, so how about  https://www.hochschulsport.uni-hamburg.de/