Best way to heat apartment with electricity?

8 posts in this topic

Hi everybody! I tried searching for this and while I found related threads, I found not much that was recent, so I wanted to see if anyone can give some 2021 input and/or recs.

I recently moved into an old Ofenheizung apartment and would rather not use the Kachelofen. It’s a pretty cheap place, so I don’t mind shelling out to heat the place with eco friendly electricity. However, I want to be as precise as possible. Despite doing research beforehand, I purchased a washer/drier that was falsely advertised (wrong kWH listed on the sale page). So, I’m trying to avoid a similar situation with my new heating.

From what I understand, oil radiators are the best for efficiently using electricity. There are two electric heaters already in my apartment, but it seems those might not be as efficient as just buying an oil radiator for the whole apartment (39sqm).

does anyone have any recommendations for brands? Anything I should know? Am I naive in thinking that one oil radiator can heat my whole apartment? Ive done research and have found models where people say it has heated up apartments of my size, but then again, who knows, I just want to get as much input as possible. In terms of money, my intuition says that having one powerful one would be cheaper than running multiple ones in my room/kitchen/bathroom, but I just want to get input from people with actual experience. This is my first time living in such a situation and I’d like to be as prepared as possible for winter!

4 hours ago, doingallthatican said:

I recently moved into an old Ofenheizung apartment and would rather not use the Kachelofen

Why?

4 hours ago, optimista said:

Why?

A few reasons, heating with coal isn’t really my thing, but another reason being I’m arthritic and don’t want to be in pain on a cold morning and have to go to the Keller and back.

10 hours ago, doingallthatican said:

From what I understand, oil radiators are the best for efficiently using electricity.

The most efficient house heating is through heat pumps. Between oil and (dry) electric heaters, efficiency is exactly the same, which is 100%. Heat pumps can be 3-4x more efficient. Problem is, heat pumps are only a good investment if you own the house.

The only thing the oil heater will do is will keep radiating after you turn it off, which in some very specific circunstances (bad house insulation) might give you a slight edge. But if you run them continuously with a thermostat, they should achieve the same cost.

In terms of money, my intuition says that having one powerful one would be cheaper than running multiple ones in my room/kitchen/bathroom, but I just want to get input from people with actual experience.

One or many radiators will have the exact same efficiency: 100%.

If you do an online search on heat BTU comparison, you should find a calculator that shows the costs of different fuels for heat.  Coal is one of the cheaper ones.  It also shows  the amount of BTUs in a given unit (gallon/pounds/tons/therms/kw).  I'm not in Germany, but I know electricity is about 3 times higher there than in the US.  

As MikeMelga mentions, electric heat is 100% efficient.  Other sources are less efficient as you lose heat from combustion, flue/exhaust gases, etc.  

S.

Thanks for the input, y’all! This is definitely helpful to know. 

If anyone has any recommended oil radiators or even just advice on how to effectively heat my 39sqm apartment with just one, any input is appreciated.

We had a new heating system put in over the winter (bad timing, the old one died at Christmas) and used our wood burning stove for the living room/kitchen and oil radiators for the bathroom/basement. 

We have these and were very happy 

Primaster Ölradiator 2500 W | Globus Baumarkt (globus-baumarkt.de)  

They heat up really quickly and heated up the room nicely as well. Bathroom (ca. 16 m²) was toasty, basement (really large area) not too cold. I'd get at least two, just in case one goes bust at the coldest weekend of the year. Also, you can stick one in the bathroom to heat it up more and then leave the door open to distribute the heat. I hate cold bathrooms! :-) 

9 hours ago, Shenandoah said:

electric heat is 100% efficient

Not always, in the case of the old and now banned lightbulbs efficiency was only 95% (because some energy is wasted in the form of light). I remember when a company tried to sell them as "heaters" in an effort to circumvent the ban (that didn´t fly though). Apart from that, the inefficient part is the generation of electricity.