Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Death of Gerd Müller

4 posts in this topic

Sad to hear that the legendary Gerd Müller has  passed away.  Arguably the greatest stiker of all time. E.g. 68 goals in just 62 games for Germany. He had a low centre of gravity and then meant he could turn very quickly and get the shot away before the defender could stop him.

R.I P.   

@sarabyrdposted this tribute on Facebook

I must be getting old. Hearing the news that Gerd Müller, Bomber der Nation, Soccer World Cup winner 1974, almost countless other titles, record holder for most league goals in one season (40) until 2020/2021, died today at 75 stabbed me to the quick. I saw him live once, playing a friendship game against Jahn Rosenheim, in the mid-1970s.
It was a joy watching him in the box, surrounded by soon-to-be-baffled defenders, reeling and writhing and driving them distracted, only to kick the ball into the goal with his foot, his shin, his knee, his abdomen, or once, famously, with his derrière.
After ending his professional career, Müller moved to Florida and tried his hand in the hospitality business, coaching and playing soccer as an amateur.
Unfortunately, he became addicted to alcohol to an extent that, after his return to Germany, his former teammates persuaded him to detox and go through rehab in 1991. His main former club, Bayern München, provided him with an assistant trainer position until 2014 when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer and dementia.
Kleines, dickes Müller (as his coach Zlato "Tschik" Cajkovsky once called him) had been disappearing for a long time - now he's gone.
Pfiati, Gerd.

Here's a photo of Mueller and Paul Reiser back in the early 70s.

May be an image of 2 people and people smoking

One of my overriding memories of him is the "phantom" goal he scored in the 1974 World Cup Final.  The "goal" was disallowed because, at the time, everyone agreed it was off-side.  Subsequent slow-motion analysis proved, conclusively, that he was on-side and that the goal should have stood.  This "goal" was a vivid demonstration of Muller's unparalleled reading of the game.  Fortunately, the error did not affect the result.  If I remember correctly the referee was English (Jack Taylor).  RIP Der Bomber!